Westerdam a floating "Sizzler Restaurant"

TomXXX

I'm curious, I noticed that on all of the major cruiseline boards that you have people that sailed several times, but the cruise that they just left was the worst that they ever been on. These posters are always the very first one on this cruiseline.

Why do they find cruisecritic after the cruise than before? I'm not saying that finding this website would enhance their cruise, but it offers better insight.

I'm at the point that when I read such threads, it's little value to me. That's mean, but I think they do them to get people imflamed. These threads are normally the ones with the highest numbers of replies.

It's just my opinion.

Happy sailing!!

I wrote a long detailed review the other day and "Napkin Waving" got 10 times the posts/responses go figure.

Sometimes there's a particular cruise or ship that's just "off". My Volendam cruise in November, 2006 was THE best in terms of crew and service. Food, however, left a lot to be desired. I wouldn't say it was The Sizzler, but I'm going to give the OP the benefit of the doubt.

Roz

I'm NOT saying that is the case with this OP or this thread but in the circumstance you point out, I sometimes wonder IF it is possible there might be an axe to grind. Maybe yes; maybe no.
You're not saying it, but I will: I think the OP is a "regular" poster who came on with a new screen name and a gross exaggeration just to stir up a hornet's nest.

You're not saying it, but I will: I think the OP is a "regular" poster who came on with a new screen name and a gross exaggeration just to stir up a hornet's nest.

Maybe I'm just nieve, but I can't imagine anyone going to the time and effort to do something stupid like that. It just wouldn't be worth the effort to me. If I have something to say, I just say it under my "normal" screen name and let the chips fall where they may.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thats like the Olive Garden. People around here LOVE it.

Granted I am Italian and grew up with the greatest Italian cooks ever (Grandmothers, Mom, aunts) so I may be a little more critical. But give me a break *LOL*. I "Didn't get lucky" twice :)

Same here, and I just don't enjoy my meals at the Olive Garden. Yet, on the other hand, dad loves them. So, at least occasionally, I get stuck going.

Blue skies ...

--rita

If you compare it to Sizzler, obviously you eat there regularly. what do you like about their food?

Is Sizzler still around? I thought they went out of business? At least there are no longer any around here (Philadelphia).

Blue skies ...

--rita

Never had a Sissler's, Gino's, Mickey D's or Bonanza Steak house in our area.

As for Ruth Chris -- they are way over priced for TOUGH steaks. I'll take Morton's any day.

Sorry ... here I am using my jargon again. I'm sure you've had Mickey D's in your area ... it's slang for McDonald's.

I'm sure Morton's is far superior to Sizzler, as is Ruth Chris. They serve a different market. Sizzler was more a place to take the entire family. They had special meals for the kids, a salad and ice cream bar, that sort of stuff. It was a family-oriented restaurant that served the food cafeteria style. I actually enjoyed it, but would never consider it "fine dining." But for the very reasonable price, it was a great value.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Never heard of Longhorn's either.

We used to have several Ponderosa restaurants in the area -- never ate there -- but they are all gone now.

We have Longhorn's here ... but for some reason, the couple of times I ate there, I didn't enjoy them. The steaks were too greasy.

Ponderosa, yes. I used to love them too. They're gone from around here as well. Only the Longhorn's are left ... and then some smaller steakhouses that may be individually owned, rather than a chain ... like a place called "Roadside" or something like that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I could never quite understand the thrill of doing that.

Maybe I'm just nieve, but I can't imagine anyone going to the time and effort to do something stupid like that. It just wouldn't be worth the effort to me. If I have something to say, I just say it under my "normal" screen name and let the chips fall where they may.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, you're being naive. I won't name names, but I know for a fact that it has happened at least a few times. Once very recently, in fact.

Yes, I've noticed that you don't pull any punches! :D:D :D

:D

I'm sure Morton's is far superior to Sizzler, as is Ruth Chris. They serve a different market. Sizzler was more a place to take the entire family. They had special meals for the kids, a salad and ice cream bar, that sort of stuff. It was a family-oriented restaurant that served the food cafeteria style. I actually enjoyed it, but would never consider it "fine dining." But for the very reasonable price, it was a great value.

Kinda like different cruise line markets: HAL vs NCL....

ducks.jpg.efc570b2fc5587e5610bc1b5a8ae8232.jpg

We had a Ponderosa here for a while . Like Rita said more of a family place with the salad and ice cream bars . For the price not a bad place but fine dining NO

The one here though had a huge salad bar with all kinds of things. Chicken wings and soups and pastas , swedish meatballs. This was before they brought out your entree.

By the time you were done with the salad bar you were too full for the entree.

Then your steak arrives and it was tiny.....

Good thing you filled up on the salad bar *LOL*

That sounds like some of those homestyle buffet restaurants they used to have. There was one 10 minutes from us, we never went but last I was in the strip mall where they were located, it was closed.

Then again, Jordan Marsh and Filenes (among others) are also gone. :(

Lots of businesses disappearing in recent months.

That sounds like some of those homestyle buffet restaurants they used to have. There was one 10 minutes from us, we never went but last I was in the strip mall where they were located, it was closed.

Then again, Jordan Marsh and Filenes (among others) are also gone. :(

Lots of businesses disappearing in recent months.

Not too long ago one of the guys at work and I were talking about all the old now defunct restaurants and stores and what not in the area. Both chains and local places. Man after a while we started feeling really old *LOL*

I have been on ships of three different cruise lines and never had a meal that I would consider unacceptable. Granted, some may not have been to the best of my liking; but every meal was eminently edible and to varying degrees enjoyable. If for no other reason, I eat my steak because of my moral obligation to the cow.

Please spare me food and/or wine snobs.

For what it cost DH and I on our last dinner at Peter Luger's, you could feed a family of 10 with change :eek:at Sizzler

Oh its definately not an all the time kind of place (at least for my wallett :).

But its great for a special occasion or a nice dinner for just the two of you.

I look at a cruise as an opportunity to try different things - there's always something I like (which i can have more of if i wish) , and if I don't like something, I can always ask for something else.

In regard to quality of steaks, I rarely order steak "out" because my DH does the best ones at home on the grill. I am assured of the qulaity of the meat because I buy it, and he knows exactly how I like it cooked and the seasonings I like. These home-cooked steaks are just as good or better than Ruth's Chris or Morton's IMO.

Hey, if ya want a good steak, go see the PG; that's what they're known for. And a darn good job they do of it, too! :D

I thought everyone had a McDonalds..:rolleyes:

Bulldog

We're talking about food places!:eek:

I thought "How wonderful, no McD's" in China, but saw an arch just before we got to the train station. :mad:

We had a Ponderosa here for a while . Like Rita said more of a family place with the salad and ice cream bars . For the price not a bad place but fine dining NO.

Back when....Ponderosa used to be my favorite restaurant. They had a fabulous salad bar and I routinely ordered the " chopped steak" and teeny-tiny baked potato. All in, it was not a bad dinner.

Archived