Westerdam a floating "Sizzler Restaurant"

TomXXX

Has anyone ever tried a Kolache? We have a new place near us called The Kolache Factory. Yum! Kolache's are these little warm bundles of tasty delight. The ones I like have eggs, bacon and cheese inside...but they are all quite tasty (the ones I've tried). They aren't very big, but they hit the spot.

http://www.kolachefactory.com/

I'd first heard of these in a mystery novel I was reading, but I really had no clue what they were until I saw one...and ate one. They are just really good.

This is making me hungry! :)

When's the last time that anybody had anything to say to or about the OP?

Who? :D

For that matter, when was the last post that anything to do with cruising? :D

Shhh, the moderator might notice.....

What I really love is a nice cold Budweiser. No lime (who the hells idea was that?) no honey wheat, cherry stout. blah blah blah.

Drink what you enjoy, i'll drink what I enjoy. We'll both get just as drunk together and have a good time :)

As my daughter (also a bartender) says "If they want a 7-Up, why didn't they just order one?" :D

Dam, now I want one of her Nikkitini's, also known as the Better Than Sex tini...

What I really love is a nice cold Budweiser. No lime (who the hells idea was that?) no honey wheat, cherry stout. blah blah blah.
I wish the ships would carry one good Belgian Trappist or Abbey dubbel or tripel beer! I'd never touch wine!

As my daughter (also a bartender) says "If they want a 7-Up, why didn't they just order one?" :D

Dam, now I want one of her Nikkitini's, also known as the Better Than Sex tini...

When I was bartending I always got a kick out of the girl that was sitting at the bar by herself or with friends and she'd be drinking a coke or ice water , and then some guy would come by and try and hit on her and offer to buy her a drink and EVERYTIME.. she would order some wayyyyyyy overpriced shot or drink *LOL*

Wher the He__ is Tomxxx to clarify what he is talking about????

He went back under the bridge with the rest of teh trolls. :)

However the rest of us here have been having a good time going down memory lane (foodwise) *LOL*

Ahhh......yes, those lean years. Cheap frozen pot pies and minute rice with margarine and sugar! Now many decades later, that doesn't sound at all appealing. :rolleyes:

Ellio's frozen pizza ... done in the broiler (they didn't have microwave ovens back then) with Philadelphia cream cheese melted on top. Yummy!

That's what I had when I came home from my part-time job while in high school. I had to work 5:00 pm to 10:00 p.m. as a cashier in a large drug store (think like RiteAid) ... then walk home. I didn't get home until about 10:30 or so. No way was mom getting up to fix me dinner at that time of the night. "The Ellio's are in the freezer," she would tell me.

Blue skies ...

--rita

What exactly were you looking for at the low fares you probably paid? Ruth Chris?

Read the reviews on just about all the cruise lines today and you'll see pretty much the same complaints about the food. The quality is going down because the cruise lines are squeezed. Maybe in past years they had a budget of say $30 per day per passenger for food. Now that budget might be $20 per day. You're not gonna get the same quality of food for that much less.

The thing I seem to see running through most of the reviews where the reviewer complains about the food onboard their cruise is that if they eat at the specialty restaurants onboard, they get a great meal. It would seem to me that maybe the cruise lines have had to cut the quality in regular onboard restaurants, but have been able to leave the specialty restaurants alone as long as there was a service charge in place. It would seem to me that if quality keeps going down, people will be forced to take ALL of their meals in the specialty restaurants onboard, and maybe at some point in the distant future, no food onboard will be free. The dining room will be just like a land-based restaurant. You sign for the tab at the end of the meal. But at least you'll get a tasty meal in that case.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Very well articulated..and an interesting future possibility suggested to consider also - enjoyed reading your post!!

Have happy cruisin'!

Very well articulated..and an interesting future possibility suggested to consider also - enjoyed reading your post!!

Have happy cruisin'!

There already is a line called Easy Cruise operating in Europe and the Caribbean where everything is a la carte. For about $50/nt in Europe or $20/nt in Carib you get a bed that moves from place to place during the night ... and that's all you get! It's popular with the "hostel" crowd. ("target" age range is 20>40) More like a fancy ferry than a cruise ship, you can hop-on-hop-off at ports along the way. Minimum stay is 2 consecutive nights.

We were on the Westerdam in Feb. We found the beef dishes, and the steak in particular, to be of a lesser quality and not prepared very well. THe steak was dry, invariably overcooked, and it was grainy. Not restaurant grade at all. Having said that, we have noticed the same on Princess. Your comment about 'Sizzler" was right on. Yes, the service was fine, and yes the presentation was good, but the main feature did not cut it on several occasions. I did have a veal dish that was first rate. HAL and others will find themselves on a slippery slope if they keep cutting costs (and cruise prices).

There already is a line called Easy Cruise operating in Europe and the Caribbean where everything is a la carte. For about $50/nt in Europe or $20/nt in Carib you get a bed that moves from place to place during the night ... and that's all you get! It's popular with the "hostel" crowd. ("target" age range is 20>40) More like a fancy ferry than a cruise ship, you can hop-on-hop-off at ports along the way. Minimum stay is 2 consecutive nights.

Yeah, but because easyCruise is so cheap, it's really not even a cruise ship experience. I doubt there are any amenities onboard ... no shows, no activities, no nothing. It is basically like a ferry. I think you even have to pay for clean towels and linen changes on that line.

No, I'm talking something a bit different here ... not quite easyCruise cheap, but with some things, like food, being ala carte. I'm just figuring we, as passengers, may wind up subsidizing food someday ... or if we want to eat in the included restaurants and not pay anything additional, we're gonna have to be satisfied with a Denny's quality meal.

I had a friend return from an NCL cruise a few months back and he told me that he just got around the poor quality food and long waits for seating by paying for the additional charge restuarants every night. He said the surcharges weren't that bad and at least he knew he'd get a good meal and not have to wait in line for over an hour to get it either. He said NCL is cheap enough that he didn't mind paying the extra $200 or so over the course of the week to eat in the specialty restaurants, and that other than having to eat in those specialty restaurants to get a decent meal, everything else about his NCL cruise was fine.

Maybe this is the route all the cruise lines will go in the future, and we as passengers just won't expect a decent meal onboard without paying additional.

I think we all have to admit that the cruise lines are having a rough time of it these days and are working with smaller and smaller profit margins. Therefore, they have to cut somewhere if they want to make a profit, and it would seem that food is one of the best items with which to do that ... just getting slightly lesser quality foodstuffs and save a boatload of money.

Blue skies ...

--rita

No, I'm talking something a bit different here ... not quite easyCruise cheap, but with some things, like food, being ala carte.

I can see the questions here:

• How big a microwave can I bring on board?
  • Are there supermarkets on Half Moon Cay?
  • Can I use a gas grill on the balcony?
  • Can I borrow a cup of sugar from the kitchen if I run out on the last day?
  • How long can one live on protein bars before getting bored with it?
  • Do I have to bring my own plates and utensils or can I borrow it from the Lido buffet?

We were on the Westerdam in Feb. We found the beef dishes, and the steak in particular, to be of a lesser quality and not prepared very well. THe steak was dry, invariably overcooked, and it was grainy. Not restaurant grade at all. Having said that, we have noticed the same on Princess. Your comment about 'Sizzler" was right on. Yes, the service was fine, and yes the presentation was good, but the main feature did not cut it on several occasions. I did have a veal dish that was first rate. HAL and others will find themselves on a slippery slope if they keep cutting costs (and cruise prices).

This makes MUCH more sense than the OP's characterization of the whole ship, or its food, as a "Sizzler". Thanks for your reasonable comment.

I had an overcooked steak once at a 4-star restaurant. It happens; all the more annoying if it seems to occur frequently.

Cheers

Mark

Wher the He__ is Tomxxx to clarify what he is talking about????

Tomxxx is nowhere to be found. He is a one post wonder. The equivilant to a drive by shooting. This post should be left to die a natural demise.

I have been on the Westerdam for a grand total of 59 days and the food has never been a problem.

Archived