elevator out of order - new hotel

just got email from our hotel, hotel columbia, that they will be putting in a new elevator and there will be no elevator service from july 10 until aug 22.

don't like the idea a getting our luggage up stairs. possibly the 3rd floor. also they will be happy to give us room service breadfast at no cost in a tiny room instead of the roof top garden.

it is getting close to our cruise, july 21. any good ideas would be nice. we wanted to be close to the termini station.

madi

don't like the idea a getting our luggage up stairs. possibly the 3rd floor. also they will be happy to give us room service breadfast at no cost in a tiny room instead of the roof top garden.
They might be able to help you with your luggage. After that, walking up and down the stairs would probably be good for you! ;)

When we stayed at the Hotel Columbia in May, the housekeepers took our luggage up the stairs for us. We didn't even ask them to, they just automatically did it. The elevator was working, but they chose to schlep it up the stairs. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same for you.

When we stayed at the Hotel Columbia in May, the housekeepers took our luggage up the stairs for us. We didn't even ask them to, they just automatically did it. The elevator was working, but they chose to schlep it up the stairs. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same for you.

susan, thanks for your reply. sounds like you might have been very satisfied with hotel columbia. i would like to hear more about it.

the location and the roof top garden were what help me decide on this hotel. we were very disappointed with the elevator situation.

maybe we should reconsider. we have not cancelled our reservation yet. i have been looking today for a replacement.

rita

Hmmm.... have to admit I got a little chuckle out of this one. Sorry.

Believe me...... with all the walking, climbing stairs and inclines that you will be doing in Europe..... a couple of floors of stairs in your hotel will not seem to be a big deal. That is - unless you have mobility issues.

We stayed 2 nights precruise in Rome at Hotel Mozart near the Spanish steps. It had an elevator and it worked. But it was small and can you spell s-l-o-w !!!! We ended up taking the stairs the whole time we were there and I am one of those who will take the elevator if there is one.

How many floors up is the rooftop garden ??? If it is really nice then it is worth the climb......going UP is the only bad part ;)

Rita-- yes, we were in fact very satisfied with the Hotel Columbia. We actually didn't use the elevator. (Would have for our enormous luggage, but they took care of that.) We went to breakfast on the top floor every morning, and felt like taking the stairs helped justify an extra slice of their delicious breakfast pastry.

My review of Hotel Columbia, with pictures, is posted here:

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g187791-d232882-r16883204-Hotel_Columbia-Rome_Lazio.html

texancruzer, the rooftop garden is the 5th floor, adjoining the breakfast room and sitting area. And yes, it is really nice.

Hmmm.... have to admit I got a little chuckle out of this one. Sorry.

Believe me...... with all the walking, climbing stairs and inclines that you will be doing in Europe..... a couple of floors of stairs in your hotel will not seem to be a big deal. That is - unless you have mobility issues.

We stayed 2 nights precruise in Rome at Hotel Mozart near the Spanish steps. It had an elevator and it worked. But it was small and can you spell s-l-o-w !!!! We ended up taking the stairs the whole time we were there and I am one of those who will take the elevator if there is one.

How many floors up is the rooftop garden ??? If it is really nice then it is worth the climb......going UP is the only bad part ;)

my husband and i got a good laugh from your post. we can spell slow. i guess i over reacted when i got the email re the elevator. my husband says he thinks we can do the stairs.

thanks

rita

susan,

thanks for your info. i read your tripadvisor review and the hotel sounds exactly what we thought it might be. it is nice to have that confirmed.

i have read so many reviews of hotels where the guests were totally disappointed. i guess i will be climbing to the 5th floor for breadfast.

thanks again

rita

Archived