Is it the luck of the draw?

How do they determine what size table you are seated at? I think it could be fun to dine with others and meet people,but it would be awkward to have a table for four and you have absolutely nothing in common.I think 8 would be a nice size,any bigger you would probably just end up talking with whoever is next to you.On our only 2 cruises, we have been with friends and family,so we were only seated with them.

I agree with you on the size table. From what I have learned by lurking on the threads, if you are not happy with your seating arrangement you can go to the Matre D and he has the power to change them. I would like to sit at a table with others because I am a people person. I love to laugh and meet people. When do you cruise?

I agree with you on the size table. From what I have learned by lurking on the threads, if you are not happy with your seating arrangement you can go to the Matre D and he has the power to change them. I would like to sit at a table with others because I am a people person. I love to laugh and meet people. When do you cruise?

Next up is Carnival Spirit to Hawaii in April 2009

I usually try to 'request' a large table - at least I hope it is noted by my PVP. I also figure at a table of 6 or 8 odds are there is someone I can 'relate' to and so far have been very lucky in having very fun tablemates!

How do they determine what size table you are seated at? I think it could be fun to dine with others and meet people,but it would be awkward to have a table for four and you have absolutely nothing in common.I think 8 would be a nice size,any bigger you would probably just end up talking with whoever is next to you.On our only 2 cruises, we have been with friends and family,so we were only seated with them.

The Maitre 'd assigns seatings and sometimes I think it's done with a dart board.

Check your Sail and Sign card for dining room, time and table assignment. Check the table in the dining room. If you're not happy with it visit with the Maitre d' on the first afternoon. Normally they will accommodate requests like yours.

No. Even though your dining assignment is on the card, it's never used for that purpose.

The round tables for 8 or 10 are just perfect, to me. You can see everyone and it's the right size for several couples, singles, etc. I like having tables that size and having lively conversations over dinner.

I believe the Maitre d' looks at families, couples, singles, groups, etc.and tries to put them together. . I've had to ask for a change only once.

The Maitre 'd assigns seatings and sometimes I think it's done with a dart board.

Hahaha, yeah, sometimes I think so too. We're a family of five, so we are always seated with another family of 5 or a family of 3.

to Texasfirefighter: you don't need a new s&s card, but of course the table number on the card will be wrong. But the important info in the card will be changed.

We are in the same boat(pun intended). Normally we travel witha large group of our family, so we don't get to meet new people at dinner. On our last cruise there were only four of us(two couples). We were sat with two other couples traveling together. We had the best time with them and it made us really look forward to dinner in the evenings.

We are in the same boat(pun intended). Normally we travel witha large group of our family, so we don't get to meet new people at dinner. On our last cruise there were only four of us(two couples). We were sat with two other couples traveling together. We had the best time with them and it made us really look forward to dinner in the evenings.

That sounds really great. You hit it lucky that time.Good for you guys.We can hope for that too!

They use CruiseCritic post counts and memberships in those ~Official Crazies~ things to asign tablemates.

I wish that were true. Then we'd be seated with fun people. On all our cruises, we've had wonderful tablemates except for one. On that cruise, we were seated at a table for 4 and the other couple had nothing in common with us. We'd try to start a conversation and get one word answers. After the 2nd night, they didn't show up anymore. It's a good thing DH & I enjoy each other's company.;)

We were recently assigned to a table for 8.

Except that there were 9 people.

A little close.

I thought about asking for another table, but it wasn't worth the effort.

But everyone did show up on time as no one wanted to be on the side with 5 chairs.

I don't know why our table was like that and I did wonder.

They use to ask what size table you would prefer, but they don't do that anymore. I liked at least being able to ask for a large table.

Candi

Ok I missed something... to the best of my knowlage they do ask or they are just picking for you. I book my own travel as my own agent. threw carnavals agent site and I had to pick my table size, I also had to do this for my sisters family. :eek:

but it would be awkward to have a table for four and you have absolutely nothing in common.

You don't have to have anything in common to enjoy your table-mate's company. But in actuality both of you do have something in common, you both like to cruise and you can share cruise stories and also share info on what to do during your port visits etc. Before I found cruise critic most of my topics at the table were about cruising especially when our table-mates were veteran cruisers. We have sat with Psychiatrist, Medical people like nurses and EMT personnel, lots of retired folks and law enforcement people. One cruise we sat with a guy that did nuclear plant inspection.

Today we have roll calls on this website so you can check with the people going on your cruise, if you seem to click with someone in your roll call you can invite them to sit you with. We did this with cruise critic members DianeF and her husband Jerry. We had a great time with them.

Fred

. . . happened on the GLORY in 2004. 6 single cruisers of varying age and cruising experience. A beautiful middle-aged Thai lady, a cute NJ nurse, a golf pro instructor, a travel agent (47 cruises), a newbie (Denver television producer), and myself. Had a great time. Two bottles of wine at the table every night from the travel agent (and he didn't drink, nor did the Thai lady). Do the math. :D

To this day, I still e-mail 4 out of my 5 tablemates. Even shared a cabin with one I met at this table and she wanted someone to help her cut costs on a Canadian cruise . . . so what to heck. We cruised the VICTORY to Canada. We celebrate our birthdays on the same day, so we've sinced cruised on the same ship a couple times on our birthdays. Lots of fun. :D (although this year looks bleak for both of us):(

On the other hand, I've had tables so filled with strife, stress, whining and complaining, that I finally just ate in the buffet for the remainder of the cruise. LEGEND out of NYC. Disgusting middle aged woman cruising with her Mother, loudly and grossly chastising her fragile older Mother at the dinner table ! ! I felt so sorry for her and even a newbie on his first cruise, I later apologized to him for this lady's behavior, and told him this was NOT TYPICAL at all. Not to judge cruising paxs by this POS.:rolleyes: I just couldn't stand it . . . didn't go back even for the final formal night. :(

I've had other people I really had little in common with become lifelong friends (see my pics of the SPIRIT cruise). A biker with a great sense of humor, lovely wife who was a real kick. We had a ball at several of the ports, too. Just met them at the dining table !

I think its the "luck of the draw" . . . but as many have said, you can ask the maitre 'd to move you. I just didn't want to intrude on another table in the middle of a cruise. :rolleyes:

I felt so sorry for a newbie on his first cruise' date=' I later apologized to him for this lady's behavior, and told him this was [b']NOT TYPICAL[/b] at all. [/i]

You cruised from NYC, That is Typical !!! :D

Fred

You cruised from NYC, That is Typical !!! :D

Fred

I hesitated . . . almost put that in there . . . there were other incidents on this cruise that led me to believe that that might be the case. Some unbelievable ! ! :D

I must say, also, that the talent show was FANTASTIC. I think this is because of the NYC factor. Never saw so many "unprofessional" people with so much singing talent in my life . . . truly amazing ! ! :)

I hesitated . . . almost put that in there . . . there were other incidents on this cruise that led me to believe that that might be the case. Some unbelievable ! ! :D

I must say, also, that the talent show was FANTASTIC. I think this is because of the NYC factor. Never saw so many "unprofessional" people with so much singing talent in my life . . . truly amazing ! ! :)

Did you actually have a real talent show or was it that stupid Legends show?

I miss the real talent shows.

Fred

You don't have to have anything in common to enjoy your table-mate's company. But in actuality both of you do have something in common, you both like to cruise and you can share cruise stories and also share info on what to do during your port visits etc. Before I found cruise critic most of my topics at the table were about cruising especially when our table-mates were veteran cruisers. We have sat with Psychiatrist, Medical people like nurses and EMT personnel, lots of retired folks and law enforcement people. One cruise we sat with a guy that did nuclear plant inspection.

Today we have roll calls on this website so you can check with the people going on your cruise, if you seem to click with someone in your roll call you can invite them to sit you with. We did this with cruise critic members DianeF and her husband Jerry. We had a great time with them.

Fred

Very good point Fred. I would very much enjoy talking with folks from different walks of life than mine.After re-reading my statement ,I should have more appropriately said it would be awkward to be there with just two others that didn't enjoy conversing.Thanks for the input.

Archived