What does everyone think about this?

DeRon

It looks like a nice concept but in my opinion, it is too big. One mayor draw back with RCL is their Immersion program. In addition, I find it odd that a ship will offer a tattoo parlor. What happens if the ship suddenly hits a big wave or a strong wind from the side moves the ship. The tattoo artist all of the sudden say oops, I am so sorry? :eek:

I believe it's a temporary tattoo place - airbrush and the like, not an actualy ink parlor.

No thank you! Way too many people for our liking. The logistics - the port experience - recipes for disaster in our opinion. We like some ship amenities and aren't huge fans of the really small ships, but there's a point of diminishing returns on the other side of the scale!

Why would you make this a Princess post - it has nothing to do with Princess!:confused:

I think it's worthwhile posting on the Princess boards. If the reaction is negative enough, Princess may scrap any future plans (if indeed they had any) of creating a monster like this. A ship like that should be illegal!!

I am going to love this ship. Princess designers should take a long look at the Freedom & Voyager family of ships the design far exceeds Princess Grand Class. You rarely feel crowed on the large RCI ships. Now don't get me wrong I think Princess is a great Cruise line for the longer trips but the RCI ships are superior in my opinion.

Having sailed on RCL's Freedom of the Seas and getting caught in 60 - 80 knot winds and feeling the ship tipped until the Captain could steer into the wind - I don't think we will be booking the Oasis.

Wouldn't it have been worse on a smaller ship? I'm not a ship person so I am just guessing. Either way I wouldn't wnat to be in it in ANY ship. :eek:

I am going on the Independence March 09 and depending on how that goes I will be on the Oasis in 2011. It will be unlike anything else out there and I am looking forward to it.

I was on the Grand Princess (2,600?) and did not like it at all. It was the layout that was disappointing and the buffet restaurant. It was terrible finding a seat. We were on a British Isles cruise and the weather was not conducive to hanging by the pool so that did not help.

Now the Dawn, that was our best cabin and cruise director we ever had.

I looked at Princess for a NEw ENgland cruise in 09 and almost booked the Caribbean Princess but the Celebrity itinery won out.

The Oasis surely won't be for everyone but at least it will be an option for those who like BIGGER ships.

My first impression is: What an unimaginable feat of engineering and design. I think it is a tremendous concept for RCCL. As for me, it might be nice to explore, or tour the ship, but I prefer the style of cruising Princess offers with their fleet.

By no means do I want to take away from their maritime architectural accomplishments. I can deeply appreciate modern, sleek buildings, but I prefer something more along the art-deco style. One is not necessarily better than the other. So, too, I appreciate what RCCL is creating, but I prefer the Princess style of ships. When I first began investigating what cruise line I want to take DW on, I looked at the pictures/deck plans of many cruise lines and the two I kept coming back to were Princess and Holland America as lines I would be interested. I guess you could say that those are the two I am still interested in. However, I will give RCCL lots of credit for their creativity and innovation. I am sure that it will appeal to many in the same way Princess has appealed to me.

With a ship the size of Oasis all I can think is vision the length of the customer service line. Four people behind a desk trying to help 6000 people. I am seeing this from my first RCI cruise where I had to visit that desk way more than I wanted. Little problems nothing major. I like not to visit that area if I can avoid it.

I think if travelling with kids this would be a fun ship. Our kids are grown, the ship has more people than our towns population. But all in a far smaller space. I do not see this as a ship that we would get over excited about.

We are going on our first big RCI ship, two sizes down from Oasis, will have a good time, always do. But will see if that works for us. Do not like to feel crowded, so will see how that is. Will have fun regardless.

Yes, I noted this as well. But if you will watch the video, he says 6,300.

I have watched the video and did some further reading about the ship. I posted above:

I've done a little more reading/research about RCI's new behemoth vessel. It's possible that 6,300 is the maximum number of passengers if the ship is filled to capacity with 3/4 persons in staterooms that accommodate additional guests.

The Caribbean Princess is listed as having a 3100-passenger capacity based on double occupancy, for example, but the ship has carried as many as 3400 pax when staterooms that accommodate 3/4 persons are full.

No desire whatsoever to sail on the mammoth vessel, but I'm eager to see renderings of other public areas of the Oasis - pools, theatre, dining rooms, etc.

Chris

Always willing to try different environments -- otherwise why even travel?

But as I watched the video, I wondered why I kept getting this feeling that the cruise in a Standard Stateroom would be "free" but everything else will be charged -- Pay Meals in each type of dining, Boardwalk Admission and the Merry Go Round, maybe even pay for the chairs around the pool (so no chair hogs)? Imagine the cost of drinks in that moving bar!

I am hoping they come up with some sort of WDW photopass system for that ship. It's hard enough finding your photos now on ships, I can't imagine in with double the passengers.

But then again, I think all ships should have a photopass system.

I have a confession.

I am a cruise ship flake. I'll try anything.... once.

I have actually spent years living aboard small boats. Most notable were from 1971-73 when I was a teenager and my dad had us aboard a 32 foot Alden Malibar Jr. sloop in the Bahamas and Caribbean. More recently, 1997-97 I was aboard my own boat Destiny Calls.

My sailing friends ridiculed me when I went on my first cruise ship. Some still do, but they never have been on one.

When my in-laws first offered to take my wife and I on a "cruise-ship cruise" I cringed. The Carnival Holiday back in the late 80's early1990's was about as big as the came. as CC states at 46,000 tons (the) Holiday was considered a mega-liner in it's day. Some said it was too damn big!

I had a great time and that "free" cruise has easily cost me $ 100,000.00 plus since.

As I say to my sailing buddies, you do not have to go on the "same " vacation. I get over 4 months off every year and spend a month on cruise ships, two months cruising my own small sailboat and one month plotting.

Last year we tried the 146,000 ton Mariner of the Seas and man what a "wow" factor she was! Prefer Princess, but glad we tried her, we had a good time.

Will we sail the 250,000 ton Godzilla of the Seas.... ya, why not. Life is short and I want to try them all

Don't try to describe a Kiss Concert if you've never seen one.

Ship is too big for me and too many passengers I believe if you count the 3rd &4th passengers in cabins it will hold over 6,000 plus the crew. I have cruised with RCCL last year had a great cruise on Jewel of the Seas but the Oasis of the Seas I will not cruise. But I'm very excited to cruise on the Emerald Princess in March that's as big of a ship I think I will go on.

I'm not sure if Princess will follow suit and build a ship that big, it will be interesting to see how full she sails after the initial newest wares off. She could turn out to be a big lemmon or the greatest ship to hit the ocean only time will tell.

Christine

I have no interest in a ship this large. It feels as though you've tipped Manhattan on it's side and let it sail around the Caribbean. I want to get away from huge crowds and familiar surroundings when I'm on a cruise. I don't want to be reminded of Central Park, Shopping Malls and Boardwalks. This is obviously a ship aimed at families and I'm sure it will be successful with that crowd in mind.

And yes, I agree, why not post it here. I love cruising and I want to keep informed about the industry and what other cruise lines are doing. I don't have the time to read all the other cruise line posting here at CC. So thank you for posting this.

Back to the subject....It kind of freaks me out that 6,300 passengers will be on one ship. 6,300!!!!!

When I am on my balcony I don't notice the other thousands of passengers - the sea belongs to ME!!!!!

I would love to have one of those loft cabins. Also, I would appreciate the floating bar.

I appreciate diversity in my life. I want to try as many different cruise lines and different size ships as possible. So far I have never met a ship I didn't like.

From the RCI website:

The Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas will begin sailing in December 2009 and will the be largest and most innovative cruise ship in the industry. The Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas will span 16 decks, encompass 220,000 gross tons and carry an amazing 5,400 cruise passengers. The Oasis of the Seas will sail from her home port of Fort Lauderdale, Florida and embark on 7-Night Eastern & Western Caribbean cruise itineraries.

5400 is the number, double occupancy. With 3rd and 4th it is much higher.......and there are no statistics yet on how many crew will be onboard. Not my kind of ship, for sure...

General characteristicsClass and type:Oasis Class cruise shipTonnage:220,000 GRTDisplacement:app. 100,000 tonsLength:1,181 ft (360 m)Beam:154 ft (47 m)Height:213 ft (65 m) above water lineDraft:30 ft (9 m)Decks:16 Passenger DecksInstalled power:8 Wärtsilä V12 Engine @ 17,500 hp eachPropulsion:3 × 20 MW Asea Brown Boveri Azipod, all azimuthing[citation needed]Speed:20.2 kn (37.4 km/h/23.2 mph)Capacity:5,400 passengers double occupancy (about 7,300 including third and fourth passengers)Crew:TBD

I have a confession.

I am a cruise ship flake. I'll try anything.... once.

Will we sail the 250,000 ton Godzilla of the Seas.... ya, why not. Life is short and I want to try them all

Don't try to describe a Kiss Concert if you've never seen one.

HAHA! That's hilarious. Very good points!

Honestly, after teeth whitening and acupuncture, nothing will surpise me any longer.

Don't knock the acupuncture on ships. It hardly falls into the same category as teeth whitening. I wish the ships would carry a chiropractor.

I believe it's a temporary tattoo place - airbrush and the like, not an actualy ink parlor.

Yes, that's what kids need today. To believe at an earlier age that tattoos are a fun and easy way to create an interesting identity.

Enough kids are getting the real things at 15 years old now... I know more than a few people in their mid-20's paying 1000's of dollars to get them lasered OFF.

Why make THIS a mainstream form of entertainment on a cruise ship?

Archived