First time river cruise Rhine Uniworld tips?

bookfairy

Hi,

This is our first cruise and we have questions about what to pack. We are leaving August 16th, 2008. What should we expect in weather? My sister has questions about the captains dinner. Her husband normally wears long sleeve shirts, ties, d dress slacks to anything but weddings or funerals. Is that acceptable on a river cruise? We would love any tips anyone can give us since this is our first cruise trip. I can't wait to see castles and the Rhine.

Thank you for your help!

It should be quite warm while you are there--suggest cotton or linen for touring or even some of the new "wicking" fabrics. Do bring sturdy walking shoes. Don't try to tour in sandals. Your husband might want to bring short sleeve dress shirts. No need for jackets. Dress for ladies was varied. A nice pair of slacks with varied tops--nothing formal or even coctail type. Just what you would wear in a nice restaurant at home. Pat

We took this trip in 2006 and had a fantastic time. We enjoyed the fact that we unpacked once and had a front row seat for the scenery. I second the recommendation for sturdy walking shoes. We wore out a pair of shoes because of the walking tours; plus, we enjoyed going back into the towns after dinner whenever we could. However, we did have two "formal" nights where suit or sport coat and tie were recommended. Ladies wore simply black dresses or slacks and dressy tops. Jeans were turned away at dinner time but allowed at breakfast and lunch.

Umbrellas were supplied in the cabin. For the weather, try Uniworld's link: http://www.uniworld.com/weather.asp Our forecast was for low 60's and rain even from BBC while on the cruise. We had mid 80's and no rain so...

Carry small change with you for turning on spot lights in the cathedrals, tipping guides and bus drivers, and for rest rooms.

We did this cruise in 2007. For the two dressier dinners my husband wore dress slacks, dress shirt, and a tie. About half the men wore jacket/suits; the others were dressed like my husband. No jack/sit is really necessary as river cruises are considerably less formal.:)

We just returned from the Uniworld 6/28 Basil - Amsterdam cruise. I brought only one pair of shorts and wore them every day. It was in the mid-90s F one day but the rest of the time was in the low 80s (very comfortable). One wet day.

A few men wore sport jackets to the two Captain's dinners but they were in the minority. Most work slacks and a collared golf shirt. One passenger (a renegade from the 60's) came in with shorts, old sneakers and a tie dyed tee shirt. They didn't turn him away but he was definitely out of place.

This was our 4th Uniworld river cruise and it was the best. The River Ambassador has tighter quarters that the River Countess class ships but the crew and the quality of food more than makes up for that shortcoming.

You'll have a great time!

Thank all of you for your responses. I don't think either of our husbands will bother with jackets. Packing is at a premium these days anyway. Thank you Paula for the preview. It was great! I can't wait. I am wondering what length of sleeves I should take for when we are on the ship for myself. Sometimes I get cool.

Should we try to get Euros at the airport or wait until we are in town? How much should we withdraw the first time? Suggestions?

Thank you

We always use ATMs--they are plentiful. There is at least one at the airport. Get 100 euros, then change one of the bills to have small amounts for tour guides and bus drivers. What countries will you be in? The only one I can think of that wouldn't be on the euro is Hungry. Just get a small amount there of their local currency. Most restaurants and larger shops will take euros. We even had some local vendors take the euro. Enjoy Pat

(By the way, I love your Cruise Critic name!) What are your flight arrangements? If you're connecting through Frankfurt (which we nearly always do when traveling with Uniworld to anywhere in Europe), there are a number of ATM machines in the Frankfurt airport inside the secure area of the new part of the terminal. When I used that one this past May, there was not even an extra charge from my bank--a very unusual occurrence! I know you're getting excited--we had a wonderful trip last year with wonderful weather except for the section of the river with all the castles, but as you saw, we were still able to get some nice photo shots!:) :)

Paula,

Thanks for that information. We are flying into Frankfurt. The name comes from being a librarian at an elementary school at one time. One of the kids use to call me that. I have always liked it. What amenities should I expect? Is there shampoo and soap like hotels? Are both types of electrical plugs in the bathroom?

Than you again.

GlobeMan, just curious as to who your cruise director was.

Sharon

The Cruise manager was Wouter Vercruysse (Dutch). He was very efficient and made it 100% clear that the buses and the ship leave at the scheduled time and don't wait for anyone. As a result, no one ever delayed us.

They provide the usual hotel room ammenities in the bathroom. Their is a shaver plug in the bathroom, otherwise you will need a convertor for anything else. Don't plug anything but the shaver in that outlet---you won't like the results. Have a wonderful trip. Pat

Thank you. We are traveling from Amsterdam to Basel so I think we just have to worry about Euro's.

Your trip will be good. We traveled the same route back in 1999 on the old KD line, since purchased by Viking. The very best part of your trip will be between Koblenz, at the Moselle River, and the confluence with the Main (pronounced Mine) river. The towns at riverside and the castles up the hills are just magnificent to view. Have your camera ready. Much of the rest is fine, but that part is the best. The day before Basel will not be much for sights, as I recall.

I hope you have some time in Amsterdam before your cruise. As you must know, it is a unique city with many attractions. I assume you are flying home out of Zürich. That city is worth a day or two also. If you have time, the Glacier Express from Zermatt to St. Moritz is really good.

Have a great trip.

Bob :cool:

We are leaving August 16th, 2008.

My sister has questions about the captains dinner. Her husband normally wears long sleeve shirts, ties, d dress slacks to anything but weddings or funerals. Is that acceptable on a river cruise?

Hi,

We sailed on River Queen, Amsterdam-to-Basel, this past May. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have. Cheers!

...Karl

You thing you may not be aware of is that your ship will usually not cruise late into the evening. Instead it will probably dock at an "unscheduled" town along the way that was not part of that day's listed itinerary. This is a great added bonus, as you can wander into town after dinner if the ship is staying there for awhile. On our Uniworld River Queen cruise a few years ago, we were able to go into Frankfurt and Miltenburg and check out what was going on. Pay attention to your daily program and check any "bonus" stops if you still have the energy.

• 2 weeks later...
What was the price range of the optional tours?

In June, we did the optional Heidelberg tour ($67 each) and Marksburg Castle tour ($46 each). IMO, neither was worth the price.:rolleyes:

There was another optional tour; Rüdesheim Dinner which we skipped. If you take that one, you miss the Castle Vollrads Wine tasting (already included and worth while - especially if you like wine :p). Our tour manager said the dinner itself was well below the meal standards of the ship but the entertainment might be good. I can't say and I don't recall the price.

Archived