First time river cruise Rhine Uniworld tips?

bookfairy

Thank you GlobeMan for the infro. I thought maybe you meant Euros. But on the ship do they charge in Euros or the country's money system?

Charges on the ship are in Euros. They can change money for you at the desk if you wish. I hit an ATM on arrival at the airport and reloaded the wallet a few times in towns we visited.

I put everything I could, including on board charges on an AMEX card.

That is pretty well what we plan to do as well. Take a little money as possible.

On a river cruise is it usual to be spending as much as a regular cruise due to the amount of space you have to store anything in the cabin. Your spending probably would more be on tours or lunches and a few souveniors.

On a river cruise is it usual to be spending as much as a regular cruise due to the amount of space you have to store anything in the cabin. Your spending probably would more be on tours or lunches and a few souveniors.

It's hard to say what "usual" is, with the US dollar so poor against the Euro right now. You may not be spending all that much on extras ashore. At least that's what we found when we were cruising on the Rhine and Moselle in May.

As always, "Your mileage may vary!". ;)

Uggg, really?? Do you know of any line that has both 220 and 110? There isn't a converter out there that really works well with blow dryers and hair straighteners. Yes, I know they have blow-dryers but they never are really good for long hair. I heard that the shaver outlets in the bathroom are only for shavers, and are not wired for anything that would draw the wattage that my hair tools take??

Hylasgirl,

Check your blow dryer. Many of them have a switch you set for either 110v or 220v use.

The rooms have a few 220v outlets.

If your equipment can be set to 220v, you only need an adapter to convert from the US style plug to the European outlets. Converters are cheap and available at airports, Radio Shack, Sharper Image and just about any electronics store.

Hylasgirl,

Check your blow dryer. Many of them have a switch you set for either 110v or 220v use.

The rooms have a few 220v outlets.

If your equipment can be set to 220v, you only need an adapter to convert from the US style plug to the European outlets. Converters are cheap and available at airports, Radio Shack, Sharper Image and just about any electronics store.

Yeah, unfortunately most salon style products do not have the dual voltage switch :( and converters just don't work as a step down with something that has that type of heating element... especially with hair straighteners. Bummer... I will have to check with Viking and see if they have both plugs???

Archived