Car rental from FCO

:) Hi, Does anyone have the name of a reputable car rental agency at Rome Airport?

Our flight does not leave until the day after we dock so we want to go back to the airport, rent a car and drive to Orvieto for the last night of our trip. We plan to return the car to the airport the next morning.

Thanks

:) Hi, Does anyone have the name of a reputable car rental agency at Rome Airport?

Our flight does not leave until the day after we dock so we want to go back to the airport, rent a car and drive to Orvieto for the last night of our trip. We plan to return the car to the airport the next morning.

Thanks

All the usual suspects (plus some Italian based companies) are there. Hertz, National, Avis, etc. FWIW, I usually use EuropeCar for no reason other than I've never had a serious problem with them.

Paul

You have quite a few options. We generally use Europcar, but Hertz and Avis are also located in town. The major problem is that the taxis at the port will not want to take you to the close rental car dealers. This often means you must take the free port shuttle to the port entrance and than you are on your own. This can be a hassle if you have a lot of luggage. If you are going to Europcar, mention this to the shuttle driver. There is a 2nd small port exit (not at the main entrance) which is located after the driver drops everyone at the main entrance. If the driver is nice (ours actually suggested the 2nd entrance) he can take you over to the smaller exit (after he drops everyone at the port entrance). From there, you do have to climb some steps to the street, but you are many blocks closer to Europcar.

Hank

I've booked through Auto-Europe - they are a discount car broker for several agencies, Hertz, Avis, EuropeCar ... my car rental is from Avis. I did find that the Auto-Europe.co.uk site is HALF the price of the US site, so I ended up calling the US company to get the UK prices. My credit card has been billed in pounds, but I'm still saving a lot of money. 5 nights automatic car rental was 188 pounds, a manual car is cheaper.

I basically compared the two prices from the US site and the UK site and then called Auto-Europe up and asked for the UK pricing. They had no problems with that. You can also book online thorugh the UK site, I just had extra qns regarding late return, GPS etc.

What I did notice was the excess on the UK site was 700 pounds vs 400 USD on the US site. Auto-Europe UK did offer refundable excess which was 10 pounds, where they would give you the amount back if you needed to pay the excess. I am going to opt to buy additional insurance at Avis when I get to FCO, so I didnt bother with the refundable excess from Auto-Europe

Just a suggeston when you refer to autoeurope. We use them quite often and like their rates (usually for Europcar). We recently paid about $600 (that is dollars, not Euros) for a 10 day rental in Italy which included all insurance with zero deductable. But, AutoEurope (at the time) has an insurance deductable unless you took an expensive waiver option. However Kemwel (the sister company of AutoEurope with offices in the same place in Maine) quoted the lower price with no deductables. It always pays to shop.

Hank

Archived