Liberty of the Seas - Beach Towel Question

We are cruising Royal Carribean for the first time this fall, and I read somewhere that you need to swipe your cruise card to get towels poolside. I was wondering what the policy is for taking towels to the beach, if they have towels in the staterooms for this purpose, if I should bring towels from home.... What do you do?

Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

I've always taken towels before but didn't on my recent cruise on the Liberty, due to all the flying stuff...weight limits, extra baggage, etc. You get the towels on the pool deck. They swiped our cards once when we first got them. Whenever we needed new ones, either after a pool day or an excursion, we would swap them for new ones. After our final return, our cards were swiped again. You were able to swap for new ones as much as you wanted, even a few times per day. There was no checking....as long as you had one to return, you could get a new one. There was also no shortage of towels, either (I had experienced that on other ships). So there is no need to bring towels from home.:D

After you've "swiped" and gotten your beach towels, you can take them anywhere. (We took ours to the beach on St. Martin and Labadee.) If they get wet, just take them back to the towel stand (by the pool) and do an exchange. On the last day of the cruise, you simply need to take back the same number of towels you initially checked out.

I've always taken towels before but didn't on my recent cruise on the Liberty, due to all the flying stuff...weight limits, extra baggage, etc. You get the towels on the pool deck. They swiped our cards once when we first got them. Whenever we needed new ones, either after a pool day or an excursion, we would swap them for new ones. After our final return, our cards were swiped again. You were able to swap for new ones as much as you wanted, even a few times per day. There was no checking....as long as you had one to return, you could get a new one. There was also no shortage of towels, either (I had experienced that on other ships). So there is no need to bring towels from home.:D

Perfect! Thanks so much for the detailed info. I wasn't looking forward to having to pack towels given the weight restrictions with the airlines. I appreciate knowing now what to expect, and I'm not going to pack towels. Thanks.

I think this policy stinks it makes me feel like the management of the Liberty assumes all of the passengers are thefts. :mad: I was not flying so I brought my own towels. I have also seen long lines at the towel station. Furthermore there were reports of RCI charging you for the towels that were returned (especially if they were returned by a different person in the same cabin) after you left the ship. It is just a low class thing to do.

I think this policy stinks it makes me feel like the management of the Liberty assumes all of the passengers are thefts. :mad: I was not flying so I brought my own towels. I have also seen long lines at the towel station. Furthermore there were reports of RCI charging you for the towels that were returned (especially if they were returned by a different person in the same cabin) after you left the ship. It is just a low class thing to do.

Has this always been RCI policy or did it change into this? We are getting dropped off at post so I figured we would bring our own. Can I dry them on the balcony or is it too breezy? I guess I could pack a few clothes pins?

At least when we go to the beach in St Marti the locals won't know we are from the cruise:rolleyes:

I "heard" the same things when the Liberty first sailed, that there were mistakes made about whether or not towels were returned, but I have not heard any complaints in a long time.

I think that they have "fixed" the system.

And unfortunately, people DO steal towels, or this system wouldn't be necessary. :(

Has this always been RCI policy or did it change into this? We are getting dropped off at post so I figured we would bring our own. Can I dry them on the balcony or is it too breezy? I guess I could pack a few clothes pins?

At least when we go to the beach in St Marti the locals won't know we are from the cruise:rolleyes:

You are not supposed to hang things out on your balcony.

1. They may blow away.

2. They are a fire hazard. Yes, there are stupid people who throw butts off the ship, and one could blow back, land on clothing on a balcony, and start a fire. This is likely what happened on the Star Princess in 2006.

If you have wet stuff, you should hang it up in your bathroom. There is a built-in clothes line in the shower, as well as the regular towel racks and the hooks on the door.

It does get pretty breezy but I confess I have dried things by using lots of clothes pins (I make them do double duty when I am not using them to keep me from being attacked by a shower curtain) and pinning items - top and bottom - to the slats in the lounge chairs after I've hung them out through the slats. I usually push the chairs up as close as possible to the doors to minimize the wind factor.

If something goes overboard, it's my own fault, although I guess I could try for a free cruise because Royal Caribbean didn't furnish an electric dryer in my cabin. :)

It does get pretty breezy but I confess I have dried things by using lots of clothes pins (I make them do double duty when I am not using them to keep me from being attacked by a shower curtain) and pinning items - top and bottom - to the slats in the lounge chairs after I've hung them out through the slats. I usually push the chairs up as close as possible to the doors to minimize the wind factor.

If something goes overboard, it's my own fault, although I guess I could try for a free cruise because Royal Caribbean didn't furnish an electric dryer in my cabin. :)

Vicki, I don't care about your stuff flying away if you don't.

But I do care about the possibility of fire.

Ok this is new to me ... we are platinum and have never heard this before. We have to check in and out towels by swiping our cards? So do the room stewards no longer pick up wet pool towels in the room then?

What happens if I bring a pool towel to my room b/c its around my waist and my room steward takes it? Will I be charged?

Archived