Short Back to Back Problem

ssolomon56

I just got off the phone with Princess, and I'm so frustrated I could scream!

We noticed a couple of short re-positioning cruises being offered in May '09 that we wanted to link as a back to back. The first is a 2-day from SF to Vancouver, and the second is a 1-day from Vancouver to Seattle. We live just outside of SF.

First, I called and explained what I wanted to the VERY ditzy woman, and it took a long time for her to even find the cruise listing. Finally, she did - and kept trying to talk me into the Alaska cruise that goes out of Seattle. I kept explaining that this would just be a quick weekend getaway.... She finally told me that I couldn't book both cruises, as it would be a violation of the Jones Act. Huh? :confused:

Does this sound valid to anyone? Should I contact a different travel agency - or just forget it?

We noticed a couple of short re-positioning cruises being offered in May '09 that we wanted to link as a back to back. The first is a 2-day from SF to Vancouver, and the second is a 1-day from Vancouver to Seattle. We live just outside of SF.

First, I called and explained what I wanted to the VERY ditzy woman, and it took a long time for her to even find the cruise listing. Finally, she did - and kept trying to talk me into the Alaska cruise that goes out of Seattle. I kept explaining that this would just be a quick weekend getaway.... She finally told me that I couldn't book both cruises, as it would be a violation of the Jones Act. Huh? :confused:

Does this sound valid to anyone? Should I contact a different travel agency - or just forget it?

The short answer is yes it is a valid response from Princess. Booking it as a B2B would be a violation of the Jones Act or Passenger Services Act.

.... She finally told me that I couldn't book both cruises, as it would be a violation of the Jones Act. Huh? :confused:

Yep, the agent gave you the correct info. This can't be done because it does violate the Jones Act.

Check the cruise line schedules -- find a different Princess ship / different cruise line for Vancouver to Seattle. We stayed overnight in Vancouver and then took another ship. You will have only a carry-on and Vancouver is a nice city to spend a day there.

The problem is you are starting in one US port and ending in a different US port. That's what the Jones Act is about-- you can't use boat transportation to and from different ports in the USA. Its a stupid outdated rule, but that why you can't combine those specific cruises.

Guest carlogesualdo

Not the Jones Act, but the PVSA (1898, I think). You can use the advanced search function in Google to search just the boards on Cruise Critic. Works faster than the search function here, too, when it works.

The Princess Rep is correct, it is against US law for a cruise ship to carry passengers from one US port to another without making a stop at a distant foreign country unless they meet several conditions. Princess ships do not meet these.

I am booked on the May 7th SF-Van coastal cruise as well. But fear not, you can still follow it up with a 1-night Van-Sea cruise on the Westerdam. I am booked on that as well. Not every travel agent seems to have access to book this 1-nighter, but I was able to book it at a very popular online travel site.

Archived