Pricing Rip Off

mcduck

I noticed tonight that HAL has substituted a day at sea for our Grand Cayman stop on the Wdam Christmas cruise. While this was the only port we were looking forward to as we have not been there in quite some time, that is obviously out of HAL's control. HOWEVER, they have NOT changed the pricing of the cruise, and appear to have "scooped" the port charges as a profit for themseves. I would have expected to receive a credit for the amount of the port charges that they would have been paying to the port authorities, not take that as their own windfall profit. Will be interesting to see what my TA can find out in the morning - knew that we should have booked that Princess Panama cruise instead!

Given the last-minute refunds, partial refunds, etc. that were occurring due to the cruise lines' (as well as others) flexible cancelation policies because of the recent hurricane cruises, it seems to me that a lot more money was lost from that!

As the port charges are seperate charge, it is MY money, not theirs. If they choose to make a financial contribution, that is their business and they are free to do what they want to with their profits (and they have an obvious interest in supporting the various countries that they stop at).

This will no doubt lead to a bunch of flames about not supporting these people in a time of need and so on, but that would just mean that you have missed the point, and have ignored the possibility that I may have already made a personal contribution.

I also think that they should be informing their passengers of the itinerary changes (but will note that I do not know yet if they have notified my TA, and the TA dropped the ball).

I noticed tonight that HAL has substituted a day at sea for our Grand Cayman stop on the Wdam Christmas cruise. While this was the only port we were looking forward to as we have not been there in quite some time, that is obviously out of HAL's control. HOWEVER, they have NOT changed the pricing of the cruise, and appear to have "scooped" the port charges as a profit for themseves. I would have expected to receive a credit for the amount of the port charges that they would have been paying to the port authorities, not take that as their own windfall profit. Will be interesting to see what my TA can find out in the morning - knew that we should have booked that Princess Panama cruise instead!

MCDuck : I am not exactly sure what the communication process was, though. I would just check with your TA to see if anything had been received.

You say that you were 'ripped off'. Have any calls been made by your TA to reservations, etc. to see if this port charge adjustment would be made? Again, I don't know if any WERE or WOULD be. Having the TA call reservations to investigate is definitely the way to go, however. In previous cases when there were modifications, it may have taken a call to have that investigated.

McDuck.. Wait and see what your TA says. Technically they can't overcharge for Portcharges (anyone remember the days of vouchers to reimburse overpayment by some lines?). It's possible you will get a shipboard credit for the missed port. Hopefully your TA can get this settled before you sail.

According to the folks on GC, ships will begin stopping there again sometime next month. So I wouldn't be too quick to think that the itinerary is final. In fact, as you know, it isn't final until you actually get there.

It's far too early to worry about which stops will be made or not. Certainly way too soon to start asking for refunds or other compensation. Why ruin a good cruise by stewing for two months over something which might not occur?

As the port charges are seperate charge, it is MY money, not theirs. If they choose to make a financial contribution, that is their business and they are free to do what they want to with their profits (and they have an obvious interest in supporting the various countries that they stop at).

I have a feeling they will refund the port charges as a matter of policy. On my recent Zuiderdam cruise we had to skip Nassau due to weather. I received a $28.00 something credit on my shipboard account for the port charges. I didn't get anything for the cancelled HMC stop, but then since HMC is Hal's private island, I doubt they incur any port charges there, so there would be nothing to refund.

Before you get yourself too upset, wait to hear from your TA. I'll bet those charges are going to be refunded/credited if another port is not substituted.

As far as I know, HAL makes nothing off the port charges, and I doubt they would seek to profit from them in this case.

Blue skies ...

--rita

This will no doubt lead to a bunch of flames about not supporting these people in a time of need and so on, but that would just mean that you have missed the point, and have ignored the possibility that I may have already made a personal contribution.

I also think that they should be informing their passengers of the itinerary changes (but will note that I do not know yet if they have notified my TA, and the TA dropped the ball).

Perhaps you should know the facts before you accuse someone of something :) HAL is one of the few cruise lines that does refund non used port fees. Your Princess does not however, still it's your choice, we missed Grand Cayman due to huricane Charlye and we went to Nassau instead, and HAL gave us a shipboard creadit for the balance because Nassau did not charge as much as GC. And you might want to read the fine print on all crusie lines, how they have the right to change the itinerary at anytime and without needing a reason. Your ininerary may change 6 times more before you actually sail, so if you are certin you would prefer panama canal, perhaps you should cancel and book that one :)

I agree with the others here, wait and see what your TA finds out before you assume too much. Perhaps Princess and other lines are doing the samething and you wouldn't have made out any better or worse with another line. Bottom line, don't assume.

I am with the others. Hang in there. The port charge will probably show up on your ship board account. Although this happened while on board, I had a port cancelled. Every pax was refunded the money and it was credited to the on board accounts. The cruise line cannot charge you fees for a port you did not stop at.

Cruise lines contributing to help the rebuilding on the islands has nothing to do with this.

We have always been compensated by HAL for port charges whe a port has had to be omitted.

I just noticed that our Zaandam New Year's cruise has been significantly changed. 2 ports removed, GC and St. Maartin, a sea day added and Costa Maya added.

This is no easy job for HAL. Imagine the impact and increased workload. The logistics have to be staggering. Let's give them a break, they've, 99% of the time, been extremely fair with us. I know we'll hear from them.

GN

Correct me if I'm wrong:

1. OP saw (probably on an internet agency web site) that his cruise is no longer advertising GC.
  2. This was on the weekend.
  3. there are probably 1500 or more booked passengers.

Is it surprising that they changed the itinerary before all booked passengers were notified? If they made the decision to cut GC from the cruise I would think that they would change the ad first (so as not to increase the number of dissatisfied passengers) and then work on the port charges for the already booked passengers.

NCL Sea this past May, we came to our cabin and saw everyone had a note on their door. We were all refunded $25 or so for a change in port charges. We didn't miss a port, so if they had kept the money I doubt anyone would have known

McDuck

Here is some info re Cayman taken from the Westin site. I too am going to Cayman on my Nov 14 Oosterdam cruise (was) but I also have a week booked at the Westin in Feb. I too don't like the fact that I had to find out here and not from the cruise line or my TA. BTW, I know how you feel...you were just asking a simple question.

The Westin Casuarina and the Island of Grand Cayman are recovering from Hurricane Ivan. Power and telephone service are expected to be restored throughout the island by the middle of October and the airport is expected to reopen to tourists on October 29, 2004. The Resort will reopen on November 1, 2004 with all services available.

I just found out from a friend on a similar (if not the same) sailing that port charges and taxes are being adjusted to reflect the port changes.

I would contact your TA and make sure that this is taking place.

The change in itenerary is as always, tentative. You haven't missed a port as yet. GC could reopen as mentioned above. A couple of ships a week begining early in Nov. I was just on Zuiderdam and we ended up going to Costa Maya. Untill you ARE ripped off, suggest calming down and see what actually happens over the next couple of months.

I have missed many, many ports over the years, and have never failed to get an on-board credit for the port charges.

Once I missed a cruise entirely. The port charges were credited to the charge card used to pay for the cruise. :(

Hal has never cheated me that I'm aware of. :)

Re-reading what I wrote late last night surprised me this afternoon, as I was way more upset than I needed to be. I think that it was just the last straw on a very bad week or so, when even a minor molehill becomes a mountain.

Have not heard back from our TA yet, but have no problem with a ship board credit for the port fees. I think that the biggest disapointment was that there was no replacement port, just another day a sea. (I was expecting GC to be cancelled, and was hoping for a replacement stop at Costa Maya). We choose our cruises by ports first, ship second. And as I said in my post on the twotravelers thread, it will still be 10 below back home while we are sailing somewhere between Cozumel and Jamaica, rather than moored at GC - like I said sometimes small molehills become mountains until you stop and reflect and figure out that the glass is not half empty.

We have never had a bad experience with HAL, and as I have said before, even our two teens prefer to sail on HAL over Carnival and Princess, as they consider it "classier". (They prefer to spend their days at sea on the balcony reading and just enjoying the sun).

My apologies to all, and thanks to those with positive comments. And just so that you know that I have paid some "penance" for over reacting, I originally posted this reply on the twotravelers thread by mistake and as I had no idea how to move it to the right thread, have had to re-key this response!

Archived