travel insurance

banditcat

I know this has been discussed in the past but I fail to remember the name of the company that was recommended for overseas travel insurance. We are getting ready to book a cruise and my husband has a preexisting medical condition that I need to take into account when booking the insurance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hannah

If you have a preexisting condition, travel insurance companies require you to have purchased the insurance within a very short time of booking - generally no more than 30 days. Be sure to do it right after booking.

We use Travelex and purchase through insuremytrip.com - they provide all the comparisons.

Howard

Hannah, a good web site to use to pull up a nice comparison of travel insurance companies is insuremytrip.com

We use the web site to do the research and then we end up booking the insurance through the respective sinj site we get the insurance from although as rsinj correctly noted you can book it through insuremytrip.com

Some insurance companies will insure pre-exisiting conditions while others won't. Of the ones who do, some require you to book the insurance within 14days of the intitial deposit. Others don't.

So, read the policies carefully and I would then call the insurance company to make sure that you are interpreting what is stated by them correctly so you don't realize you didn't get the policy that you thought you were getting.

Keith

Yes, look at www.insuremytrip.com, then check HTH and CMS. ( I hope these are the letters.) These allow you to buy travel insurance within 24 hours of final payment and have pre-existing conditions covered. They seem slightly more expensive than others, but you avoid lost money if you cancel a cruise prior to final payment. Once you pay an insurance premium you cannot get it refunded for any reason I know of.

These companies are actually under the same corporate ownership, but check rates with both. You will see that there is a difference in the way rates are computed.

Another advantage with these companies is that you don't have to insure for the full trip cost to have pre-existing conditions covered. At least this is what I have been told by their people, and I have found nothing in writing anywhere to contradict that. For me, the advantage here is that I don't have to pay for an insured amount which is really only applicable for the final few days when a cruise line charges the total fare for cancellation. Of course you risk losing, but only for those few days.

Bob :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
Yes, look at www.insuremytrip.com, then check HTH and CMS. ( I hope these are the letters.) These allow you to buy travel insurance within 24 hours of final payment and have pre-existing conditions covered. They seem slightly more expensive than others, but you avoid lost money if you cancel a cruise prior to final payment. Once you pay an insurance premium you cannot get it refunded for any reason I know of.

These companies are actually under the same corporate ownership, but check rates with both. You will see that there is a difference in the way rates are computed.

Another advantage with these companies is that you don't have to insure for the full trip cost to have pre-existing conditions covered. At least this is what I have been told by their people, and I have found nothing in writing anywhere to contradict that. For me, the advantage here is that I don't have to pay for an insured amount which is really only applicable for the final few days when a cruise line charges the total fare for cancellation. Of course you risk losing, but only for those few days.

Bob :cool:

We had an interesting and pleasant insurance experience two years ago. We bought a policy from Travelex for a cruise, and then had to cancel (before the cruise penalty kicked in). We thought we had then wasted the insurance cost, but found out from Travelex that if you cancel your trip, you can use your insurance payment to them to apply 100% to another trip as long as that other trip commences within 1 year of the initial trip. So, we did take a cruise 1 year later (this year) and with no additional insurance to pay (fully covered by Travelex).

Archived