Prinsendam stateroom entrance

louiskam

As I was originally booked in a cat. M on Prinsendam, I asked the same question on the board some time ago. I was told that the door is located on the side of the cabin.

If you look at the cabin layouts, while the door is not shown, one can figure out about where the door might be located...

Marc

In the long ago and far away that was the typical set-up to the cabin entryway. There is a short (deadend) passageway off the main passage; the doors to opposite cabins face each other. I remember it being a bit quieter that way.

Although I've never sailed the Prinsendam, I have sailed other Royal Viking ships; (the Prinsendam originally sailed for that line.)

I also recall the ss Rotterdam and ss Statendam set up that way in that outside cabins were tucked behind two insides.

Yes, the entry doors for two cabins are in a hallway which is about 10 feet long and off the main corridor. The two doors oppose each other and enter the room between the walk-in closet and the bed.. It results in less noise from the hall.

Another advantage to that door arrangement is not only a bit more quiet. If you are traveling with family or friends and assigned two cabins so configured you can leave your cabin doors open and communicate with each other without losing too much privacy to those of us who roam the halls peering into open cabins.

Some staterooms (such as 207) have the bed on the opposite wall from the door and the person in bed would face the door. Others (such as 205) have the bed on the same wall as the door and therefor the passenger would not face the door. It may have something to do with the bathtub/no bathtub configuration.

Note that the arrangement where the cabin doors open opposite each other off a short hallway does NOT apply to the SS and S categories on the Prinsendam. Those doors open right onto the hallway (which for some of the S suites is the main hall to the Crow's Nest). The S suite doors each have a beautiful plaque with the signature of an explorer -- a nice touch.

Archived