Debarkation - if we don't have a flight . . .

Will we be off first or last? We usually fly home after getting off the ship. This time we'll be staying over a night before coming home.

So will our ship (Jewel) allow us to get off early, or will we have to wait while the early flyers get off?

We are anxious to get off the ship and get going on our Boston tour. (The tour is private, not thru the ship). Planning to catch a taxi to our hotel and stow the luggage with bell services while we tour all day.

Thanks for the information.

Cheryl

How does the self debarkation work? Do we ask permission from the pursar?

So obviously we do not put our bags in the hallway. Do they tell us in advance exactly what time to make our way off the ship with our luggage? Or do we wait to be called.

Hmmmm, can we leave the luggage in our room while going to breakfast in the Windjammer? Or should we just order room service. I can't remember if there's room service on the last day or not. We haven't cruised since 2004.

I like the idea of not having to search in a sea of luggage.

Thanks for the info.

No room service on the last morning. I usually go up to the windjammer early and bring back some coffee and fruit or rolls, and then wake up dh and kids.

You may need to sign up for express debark, but I am not sure. I know on our Monarch cruises they do call for express people to begin, and I think it is around 6:30 or 7:00 am.

So obviously we do not put our bags in the hallway. Do they tell us in advance exactly what time to make our way off the ship with our luggage? Or do we wait to be called.

Hmmmm, can we leave the luggage in our room while going to breakfast in the Windjammer? Or should we just order room service. I can't remember if there's room service on the last day or not. We haven't cruised since 2004.

Thanks for the info.

With self debarkation ...they will announce when you can get off. We have always left our bags in our room while we go to the windjammer to eat. Just let your room steward know this is what your doing. Sorry no room service the last morning.

Thanks for the information.

I don't know what to do. We'll each have 1 suitcase & 1 carry on, but we have a 3 year old with us. It might be simpler to just try to be one of the first groups off and not have to worry about dragging the luggage along.

Thanks again.

You may have your hands full if you're having to to keep up with a 3 year old and luggage. If you don't like the time slot you're given, just go to the purser's desk and choose a different time. There are always plenty of luggage tags for all times of the morning.

You may want to "fib" and make up a return flight time early in the day. We've had bad luck requesting early departures when we were driving or didn't have a flight until later in the day.

You may want to "fib" and make up a return flight time early in the day. We've had bad luck requesting early departures when we were driving or didn't have a flight until later in the day.

Come on now what if everyone lied and said they had a flight to catch let alone an early one.

###

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see what I can do about getting early tags.

3 suitcases, 3 carryons, and a 3 year old equals stress. At least if we wait to find our baggage in the cruise terminal, there may be some porters there to help us get our bags and get to a cab.

The Boston trolley tours start at 9:00 am, ending at 5:00 pm. But we don't have to be the first ones there. I just want to leave enough time to see everything. We've not been to Boston before and we only have this one day to see it all (or at least my top 4 or 5 sites on the tour).

Hopefully from time to leave the ship, to getting to the airport hotel, to getting back over to the aquarium area might be an hour or two.

Come on now what if everyone lied and said they had a flight to catch let alone an early one.

###

Hey - I don't normally advocate "fibbing", but we've had bad experiences with Guest Services refusing to work with those who need to get somewhere, but they aren't booked on an airplane. Sometimes they will recognize that there are people that drive who have commitments, but often they assume that everyone who drives has all of the time in the world to get home.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see what I can do about getting early tags.

3 suitcases, 3 carryons, and a 3 year old equals stress. At least if we wait to find our baggage in the cruise terminal, there may be some porters there to help us get our bags and get to a cab.

The Boston trolley tours start at 9:00 am, ending at 5:00 pm. But we don't have to be the first ones there. I just want to leave enough time to see everything. We've not been to Boston before and we only have this one day to see it all (or at least my top 4 or 5 sites on the tour).

Hopefully from time to leave the ship, to getting to the airport hotel, to getting back over to the aquarium area might be an hour or two.

About 1/2 way through the cruise, you'll receive a form to complete concerning airport or excursion plans once you arrive in Boston. Just let them know you have an excursion planned and you should receive a set of early tags.

Hey - I don't normally advocate "fibbing", but we've had bad experiences with Guest Services refusing to work with those who need to get somewhere, but they aren't booked on an airplane. Sometimes they will recognize that there are people that drive who have commitments, but often they assume that everyone who drives has all of the time in the world to get home.

This is exactly why I posed this question. I was afraid that they may push the ones not flying to the back of the line (so to speak).

I'm familiar with the form to fill out. I just didn't know what everyone's experience on getting off the ship without a pending flight was.

I'll do my best to get the early tags. Thanks!

Even the latest group to get off the ship is not very late. Debarkation starts rather early, and the last group is often off by 9 a.m. Even if you don't do self-debarkation, you should be off reasonably early. Like you said, [self-debarking with] three suitcases, three carry-ons and a three year old sounds like a terrible way to end a vacation.

This is exactly why I posed this question. I was afraid that they may push the ones not flying to the back of the line (so to speak).

I'm familiar with the form to fill out. I just didn't know what everyone's experience on getting off the ship without a pending flight was.

I'll do my best to get the early tags. Thanks!

When we were on the Jewel in 2006, Boston - Bermuda - Boston, the 10 of us (5 cabins) didn't even need to request early tags, all of us were off the ship by 8:30. Hope you have the same experience :D

###

:) I'm loving this...thanks....

We have the LOS booked for November, then we're driving from MIA to SRQ to spend Thanksgiving w/my Dad. Even on vacation, we're early risers-usually around 4ish-so if we can get into express, we can get a cab to the airport to pick up our car, and very easily be in SRQ well before noon. Or maybe I can talk DH into a night or 2 down in KW before SRQ....hmmmm...the possibilities!!! Schooner Wharf Bar by 11....

Oh, this could be trouble!!! ;)

Thanks for the info.

So very many people are anxious to get off the ship any more, the lines for early disembarkation can be enormous. The last 4 cruises we've been on, it's been delightful to find our bags in mere moments, there is no longer a "sea of luggage" in the terminal :)

We've just waited until the crowd dies down a bit, there's always a line but not quite as long as early disembarkation. Just don't book your excursion so early that you may miss it.

It's a hop on hop off trolley, so no chance of missing it.

At least with a Radiance class ship, there's not quite as many folks exiting as a Voyager class. I don't mind a line if it's moving (even if it's slow).

THINK ABOUT THIS. Someone has an early flight. You are driving to somewhere.. If you get off 10 minutes later what is the difference? If they get off later, they may miss their flght. Not everyone lives close to the port so have some compassion for those that just want to get home. We all want to have good cruie memories.

I myself have been one of those flyers for 8 cruises now. Most of them involved getting off the ship in plenty of time to wait around in an airport for the better part of the day. I can't say that any family exiting before me to catch a taxi, flight, tour, or drive, ever caused me to miss a flight.

No one is being uncompassionate. The issue is self-debarkation versus going with a group with tags. I was simply wondering what others had experienced in the way of not having a flight to catch.

I believe the question has been answered. Thanks to everyone for their experiences and information.

Archived