Best room to accommodate kids

tmhutch

Hello everyone,

I am new here so forgive me if I ask a bunch of questions that have been asked a hundred times. I have been thinking of taking a cruise (my 4th, DH's 5th) with our son, who will be almost 2 years old.

After doing some research on all the cruise lines, I have not been satisfied with the room layouts to accommodate kids. Basically having an area to put them to sleep without being in the same room. The only things I can find are suites (which can be way expensive) but even most cruise lines have suites that are basically just bigger rooms without a way to close off part of the room.

Would booking two connecting rooms be the best way to go? It might actually be cheaper than booking a suite......:confused:

I guess I would like to know what other people did with sleeping arrangements, so everyone is not on top of one another... I like my space!!!

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

I am new here so forgive me if I ask a bunch of questions that have been asked a hundred times. I have been thinking of taking a cruise (my 4th, DH's 5th) with our son, who will be almost 2 years old.

After doing some research on all the cruise lines, I have not been satisfied with the room layouts to accommodate kids. Basically having an area to put them to sleep without being in the same room. The only things I can find are suites (which can be way expensive) but even most cruise lines have suites that are basically just bigger rooms without a way to close off part of the room.

Would booking two connecting rooms be the best way to go? It might actually be cheaper than booking a suite......:confused:

I guess I would like to know what other people did with sleeping arrangements, so everyone is not on top of one another... I like my space!!!

Thanks!

When we took our 2 y/o we just slept in the same room as him. We get a balcony room so when we put him down we could sit outside on the balcony while he fell asleep. It's not ideal but I agree that suites are just too much money. You could do connecting rooms if you are willing to pay but then you would be paying for almost 4 people since single rooms tend to be very expensive as well.

So far when traveling one time with our 2 year old DD, and one time with our 6 year old DD and 3 year old DS, we have only booked oceanviews. On Carnival they have 2 beds on bottom scooted together to form one large bed, and then 2 upper bunks. Now - depending on your comfort level - you could have your 2 year old sleep with you, or get a crib - lots of suggestions regarding railings, portable railings, etc., but with just one kid I wouldn't get a suite or two rooms. This next cruise we are getting a balcony, the sofa pulls into a bed, and we will get to enjoy adult time on balcony while they sleep. Depends on the cruiseline and room layouts, but I am sure one room will be plenty.

We are going on the RCI Liberty of the Seas in 2 weeks. The D1 balcony room is what we are going with. The one we have has a pullout queensize sofa along with two twins that can be made into a queen size bed. There is a curtian that can be pulled(but not all the way across)between the sitting area and the bed. Also the TV is a flat screen that sits on the dresser right between the two areas. We could not afford a suite either but this seemed like a good altenative. The balcony is off of where the queen bed is. The way we figured the kids can sleep in the pullout. We will have the bedroom area and the balcony to hang out. If we want to watch tv we can also use it. You might want to go on the RCI site and check out the room set up.

Also I read on these threads that RCI has great in room sitting services. I'm not sure on the age restrictions, but people were raving about it.

Good luck!

If you book two full connecting cabins, with only three passengers, you're going to pay four full fares. You and your husband would be paying two full fares for your cabin, and your child will be paying one full adult fare plus the single supplement, which is usually a second full adult fare.

Hello everyone,

... I have been thinking of taking a cruise (my 4th, DH's 5th) with our son, who will be almost 2 years old.

After doing some research on all the cruise lines, I have not been satisfied with the room layouts to accommodate kids. Basically having an area to put them to sleep without being in the same room. ... Would booking two connecting rooms be the best way to go? It might actually be cheaper than booking a suite......:confused:

If you really like space you are going to have to pay for it. We have found that booking 2 connecting rooms for our family of 4 is worth it on RCCL. This is especially true now that are kids are teenagers.

On Disney when the kids are were smaller a single room was fine for us. If I was in your situation with a single two year old I would book a single room with a balcony. However, everyone has different budgets, preferences, and tastes.

Good luck!

I liked my family oceanview on Navigator of the Seas. It has a separate area with bunkbeds that has a curtain to separate it from the rest of the cabin. With myself and 2 kids, we each had our personal space - very important for us. The next time we sailed, we had 2 connecting rooms which didn't do it for me - no personal space and cramped.

Unfortunately, you need 5 passengers to book a family oceanview (FOV) in advance. I was able to snag it with 3 people 10 days before sailing. Since it's an oceanview though, it's not as expensive on a per person basis as a balcony or suite, so it may be worthwhile for you. Passengers 3, 4 and 5 would not be full fare.

• 2 weeks later...

Our family of four will be nestled snuggly amongst an inside cabin. No window or balcony (as this is our first cruise and didn't want to take a chance of getting sick). There are 2 berth beds up on the left and right side where the kids will sleep and the 2 twin beds can go together to a queen size for me and hubby. A tad squished...but hey, we'll all be close together and it's not often that we'll get these moments. ;) They'll be a time I'm sure when our girls gets older that they'll have their own connecting room...but not now, as they are way too young. :)

We only do balconies or at this point, we won't cruise. ;)

The reason is that I need to retreat somewhere when the kids go to bed early. There is no way I want to tip-toe around the cabin while they are sleeping. I do the same for land hotels too if I can't get a room with two separate bedrooms then I at least need a balcony.

And it seems that when we are IN the room with the girls, they won't sleep. :rolleyes: All I hear is "Moooommmmmm, Gab's feet is touching me" and "Mooommmm, she took my blanket"

They complain less when I am not there to be an audience...lol. :D

And when they were younger, the balcony was a nice way for them to take naps during the day and not have me in the same room.

You won't regret it. Not only will it give you a place to retreat to when your ds goes to sleep early or needs a nap, it may be the only relaxing outside time you get.

Inside staterooms are a great choice for people who don't plan on being in their staterooms much. They can go sit up on deck and relax. With an almost 2 year old, you're not going to get much of that, as you'll be busy chasing him around when up on deck. But when he goes to sleep, you can sit out on that balcony with a book, a beverage, or just your dh and enjoy the sea air.

I don't know what cruise line you're going on, but CCL balcony rooms (at least on the newer ships) have plenty of room for 2 adults and a toddler. Your ds can sleep on the pull out sofa to avoid having the pack n play take up all your floor space. If you're worried about him falling out, you can always bring a portable crib rail for the edge of the bed.

I personally wouldn't spend the extra money on a suite or 2 connecting rooms. When my kids get older, maybe, but not yet. For now, the balcony gives us all the extra room(s) we need.

We are 5 people and we book 2 rooms. We once did all 5 of us in one room on CCL but it was a short cruise. We like 2 rooms more than a suite even though suites have great perks. We like to have 2 bathrooms for 5 people. On our next cruise on Ruby there are no connecting balconies so we will have the 2 older boys (14, 12) in an inside and our youngest with us in the balcony. The OP cannot do that with a toddler though.

I would think that a balcony cabin would have enough space for a toddler and 2 adults and the adults can sit outside while the baby sleeps. Would a mini suite work? We never book a mini suite because they don't usually accommodate 5 (plus there's still only 1 bathroom).

Miracle in jan 2006. Our kids were 2, 6, and 11. My oldest was officially booked in my mom's cabin who was also on the sailing, but she stayed with us. We had no problems in our inside cabin wtih 5 of us. The 2 YO slept wtih us and the older two in top bunks. It was nice and dark for sleeping. The kids were usually so exhausted by bedtime that they fell asleep in about 2 minutes.

We just booked for Fascination in Jan 2009 with all 5 of us in the cabin (me, dh, 5 YO, 9 YO, and 14 YO). Can't wait! We did not spend that much time in the cabin at all! The only time you will be in the cabin will probably be during nap time and bed at night. A dark cabin can be nice for sleeping!

Good luck with your choice, but no I can't imagine getting 2 cabins for a family of 3.

I liked my family oceanview on Navigator of the Seas. It has a separate area with bunkbeds that has a curtain to separate it from the rest of the cabin. With myself and 2 kids, we each had our personal space - very important for us. The next time we sailed, we had 2 connecting rooms which didn't do it for me - no personal space and cramped.

Unfortunately, you need 5 passengers to book a family oceanview (FOV) in advance. I was able to snag it with 3 people 10 days before sailing. Since it's an oceanview though, it's not as expensive on a per person basis as a balcony or suite, so it may be worthwhile for you. Passengers 3, 4 and 5 would not be full fare.

I'm not sure about the minimum passenger rule. We got a family oceanview on Jewel of the Seas. It was reserved in June for sailing end of September. I spoke directly with RCCL reservations. It's a New England/Canada sailing though. Maybe those itineraries don't have many kids. The website says 319 square feet. We are thrilled. This is the biggest cabin we've had yet. Can't wait to see it in person.

And remember too....balconies I'm assuming are alot more money. So that wouldn't work for budget-conscience people like ourselves (as this is our first cruise). We are using that money to put towards excursions and/or our next vacation. ;)

We're lucky in that we don't need to tip-toe around when the girls are sleeping. From the moment they were babies, I was never afraid to turn up the music or vacuum when they slept. :) So luckily noise never bothers them. :)

And remember too....balconies I'm assuming are alot more money. So that wouldn't work for budget-conscience people like ourselves (as this is our first cruise). We are using that money to put towards excursions and/or our next vacation. ;)

We're lucky in that we don't need to tip-toe around when the girls are sleeping. From the moment they were babies, I was never afraid to turn up the music or vacuum when they slept. :) So luckily noise never bothers them. :)

This is your first cruise (like you said) so ANY cabin will be fabulous. :D On our very first cruise (honeymoon, 11 years ago), we had an inside on Deck 2...we opened the door and there was the bed, only a door length away. :eek: lol Yet I remember it as the best cruise ever and the one that started off my addiction. :D

I'm not sure about the minimum passenger rule. We got a family oceanview on Jewel of the Seas. It was reserved in June for sailing end of September. I spoke directly with RCCL reservations. It's a New England/Canada sailing though. Maybe those itineraries don't have many kids. The website says 319 square feet. We are thrilled. This is the biggest cabin we've had yet. Can't wait to see it in person.

Once it gets close to sailing, if there are still family rooms available, they will sometimes remove the minimum booking requirements - which is probably what happened in your case.

This is your first cruise (like you said) so ANY cabin will be fabulous. :D On our very first cruise (honeymoon, 11 years ago), we had an inside on Deck 2...we opened the door and there was the bed, only a door length away. :eek: lol Yet I remember it as the best cruise ever and the one that started off my addiction. :D

haha, I know....I hear so much about getting "addicted". We shall see if that bug hits us after our first cruise. ;) we were and still are addicted to Sandals and Sandals Beaches AI vacations. Also, out of pure curiosity I emailed my TA just to ask her how much more a balcony would have costed us total (including our discount....DH is in the union). I'm thinking it's LOTS more...but you never know. ;) Either way, I'm hoping to have a great time. And getting the kids to bed real late too. ;)

haha, I know....I hear so much about getting "addicted". We shall see if that bug hits us after our first cruise. ;) we were and still are addicted to Sandals and Sandals Beaches AI vacations. Also, out of pure curiosity I emailed my TA just to ask her how much more a balcony would have costed us total (including our discount....DH is in the union). I'm thinking it's LOTS more...but you never know. ;) Either way, I'm hoping to have a great time. And getting the kids to bed real late too. ;)

The difference between a balcony room and an oceanview isn't all that much, depending on cruise line. And it might be worth it for your sanity/sense of peace and quiet to be able to retreat to the balcony while baby sleeps. Breakfast on the balcony on our honeymoon is what got my wife and I hooked on cruising.

The difference between a balcony room and an oceanview isn't all that much, depending on cruise line. And it might be worth it for your sanity/sense of peace and quiet to be able to retreat to the balcony while baby sleeps. Breakfast on the balcony on our honeymoon is what got my wife and I hooked on cruising.

Ah, ok. Well, we don't even have an oceanview....just a regular inside cabin. (was sort of "afraid" if I will get sick by looking out the window and horizon?? Have never cruised so I have no clue if I will get sick. I bought dramamine just in case.)

No babies.....our girls are almost 4 and 6 1/2. :) I could see it being cool to eat bkfast on the balcony and hanging out there when the kids fall asleep. I first need to be sure that I'm okay with not getting sick. lol Then perhaps if we decide to do another cruise in our future, maybe we will try to do the balcony thing if seasickness wasn't an issue with me on our first cruise. :)

I might be missing something but when you get sick the cure is to look out the window at the horizon. ;)

Motion sickness happens because your body is physically moving but your brain and what your eyes are seeing aren't making sense. So it makes you sick. To make it better, you are suppose to be looking at the horizon. :) If you are inside, then you can't see the water and your brain won't be able to make sense to why your body is moving.

Believe me, I get world class motion sickness....blech. If balconies made me sick, I wouldn't be on them.

But, being up on a higher deck can lead to more motion - think of the way a pencil moves if you stand it up straight and move it from side to side...the point stays still while the eraser moves more - so same concept. So being inside is more center but it wouldn't hurt to be able to see the horizon. ;)

Do you know where I feel the most motion? When I am at dinner and the ship is moving to make the next port and I can see the water in the water glasses moving...lol. Ick :eek:

I might be missing something but when you get sick the cure is to look out the window at the horizon. ;)

Motion sickness happens because your body is physically moving but your brain and what your eyes are seeing aren't making sense. So it makes you sick. To make it better, you are suppose to be looking at the horizon. :) If you are inside, then you can't see the water and your brain won't be able to make sense to why your body is moving.

Believe me, I get world class motion sickness....blech. If balconies made me sick, I wouldn't be on them.

But, being up on a higher deck can lead to more motion - think of the way a pencil moves if you stand it up straight and move it from side to side...the point stays still while the eraser moves more - so same concept. So being inside is more center but it wouldn't hurt to be able to see the horizon. ;)

Do you know where I feel the most motion? When I am at dinner and the ship is moving to make the next port and I can see the water in the water glasses moving...lol. Ick :eek:

Hmn, now that's an interesting comment (your first sentence) and the first time I've heard that. I say that only because I've read several places here on CC actually, that people discouraged in looking at the water/horizon cuz they said it will only get you feeling more sick. So I had that in my head and felt that would be the worst thing to get (window view or whatever where you can see the water/horizon ) in case it made me more sick. Hmn...

Yea, I have heard about the more higher up you are...that is true (and I liked your example of the pencil, by the way). I'm a tad "worried" about us being up on Deck 10. We are mid-ship but I did choose deck 10 because I didn't want to treck the 2 girls all these levels just to get to the dining areas and pool. I felt Deck 10 was sort of in the middle of those things and easier to get to, and again I hope I am fine with more motion movement since we're higher up.

Hmn, now that's an interesting comment (your first sentence) and the first time I've heard that. I say that only because I've read several places here on CC actually, that people discouraged in looking at the water/horizon cuz they said it will only get you feeling more sick.

Well they were wrong...lol. ;) Any sailing person will tell you to look at the horizon to get your bearings.

Just to double check though, I just went and grabbed this from a medical site....

Avoiding travel sickness

Avoid looking out the side of a moving vehicle. The rotating landscape increases the likelihood of nausea by causing dizziness. If you are travelling in a car or bus, try to get a front seat so you can look straight ahead. In a train, where you can only look out the side, focus on the horizon to avoid the visual rotation. In a boat, stay on deck and focus on the horizon.

And another site -

Also try being consciously aware of the horizon line in relation to your own position--a lot of nausea is caused by your brain THINKING your weight should be distributed as if the floor is DOWN when in fact the rocking motion of the boat is causing gravitational "down" to be at a different angle. This means don't read, close your eyes, or hang out in a room where you can't see out a window if you're incredibly susceptible to motion sickness. If you're on a boat, get up on the top deck. The fresh air and visible horizon line will help a lot.

We have a small (ie, gets bounced around in waves/wakes a LOT) boat, and I have never been sick while up on deck. I get a little queasy in the cabin, occasionally, if there are some big waves. But I am instantly, horribly nauseous and dizzy if I'm in the cabin, the cabin door is open, and I catch a glimpse of the mirror in the cabin, which reflects what's behind the boat. :crazy2: What I'm seeing is the opposite of what's actually happening, and my brain freaks out.

Another good example is the Mission: Space ride at WDW. If you've ever been on it, it simulates a space shuttle launch, complete with G-forces. It does this because the ride is actually a centrifuge, so you're spinning around fast enough to feel weightless for a moment. If you watch the screen in front of you, it shows the shuttle launching into space, slingshotting around the moon, floating in space, and eventually landing on Mars. Most people are fine if they watch the movie because their brains believe they are doing what they're seeing on the screen. But if you look away from the screen or close your eyes (which is what most people instinctively do if they start to feel a little queasy), your brain gets mixed up and you can get really, really sick. I've heard from many people who felt nauseous and dizzy for hours after going on that ride.

So, go for the upgrade, is my advice!

Another good example is the Mission: Space ride at WDW. If you've ever been on it, it simulates a space shuttle launch, complete with G-forces.

I don't usually suffer from motion sickness, but that ride kicked my butt. I didn't feel well until several hours later. I guess I should have known better when they had barf bags inside the ride and also had an option of a non-gforce ride.

Archived