International Cell Phone

AlbertusMagnus

My husband just called verizon. This is what they told him.

3. Phone:

Our phone will work in New Zealand and on the boat (it will work on the

Century, Constellation, Galaxy, Infinity, Mercury, Millennium, and the

Summit. In New Zealand, the charge is $1.29 per minute.

On the ship, the fees will probably be the same as in Australia:

$2.49/minute, text 50c to send, 5c to receive. In Australia, we need a

global phone. They will lend us one for $9.99 shipping charge. If we do

not return it within 30 days of leaving, we owe $199.00 We also need to

unblock our phones before we leave (*228 send). I talked to: 800-711-8300

Most of that matches our experience EXCEPT the need for a different phone in Australia. Both New Zealand and Australia use the same phones/frequencies (900/1800 GSM) so if a phone worked in one place it should work in both (ours did).

We have two phones from mobalrental.com and love them. After the initial cost you pay only when you use them. The per minute charge is high but we only use the phone in case of emergencies. We have used it is the Carribbean, Europe, Turkey and Tahiti and the connections were all great. We always have the same phone number (English number) and we have voice mail. I highly recommend the phones.

My mother is elderly and I have financial and health care power of attorney. When we were in Turkey a few months ago, I felt "close to home" knowing that my family could immediately reach me in an emergency.

Francine

Most of that matches our experience EXCEPT the need for a different phone in Australia. Both New Zealand and Australia use the same phones/frequencies (900/1800 GSM) so if a phone worked in one place it should work in both (ours did).

The Verizon system is not GSM, so most of their phones are not GSM phones.

We have two phones from mobalrental.com and love them. After the initial cost you pay only when you use them. The per minute charge is high but we only use the phone in case of emergencies. We have used it is the Carribbean, Europe, Turkey and Tahiti and the connections were all great. We always have the same phone number (English number) and we have voice mail. I highly recommend the phones.

My mother is elderly and I have financial and health care power of attorney. When we were in Turkey a few months ago, I felt "close to home" knowing that my family could immediately reach me in an emergency.

Francine

If I had to use the A70 on a daily basis I would be less than pleased BUT since it is as you said for emergencies - who cares, The second phone was an unlocked BB 8700 which is basically a PDA and calendar as well as a phone

and I bought a second sim from Mobal - so far I have not seen a charge

Archived