Lapband diet

bobnatt

I have put this thread up a few months ago but I want to repeat it as I am wondering if there are other folks who have had lapband surgery who did not reply to my previous thread.

In order to deal with morbid obeisity I will be having lapband surgery in October. My wife and I are also avid cruiseers who have taken at least two (and sometimes 3) cruises a year (probably one of the reasons I need lapband surgery :mad: ).

In any event once you have this surgery your diet dramatically changes and a lot of the food you enjoyed in the past is off limits in the future. If any of you have had lapband surgery I would be interested in learning how it has changed your cruise expereince.

I certainly aplaud your decision on the surgery and hope all goes well for you.

I should think that it will necessary to you to shift your mind set from the food aspect of the cruise to the other opportunities available to you.

Good luck:) :)

I think that is the whole purpose of the lapband--to FORCE you to change your eating habits.

While food is necessary, and for most, an enjoyable part of a cruise, it's really only to keep your body fueled.

If your focus (on a cruise, or anywhere) is eating, then this will be a unique experience for you. I would wait a considerable amount of time after the surgery to experiment with what you can and can't eat--you certainly don't want complications or bad reactions on vacation!

Good luck with the surgery!

Good luck with your surgery.

Hopefully, everything about your eating pattern will change and it will be automatic on your cruise to eat the quantity appropriate for you and make good food choices.

If you are willing to subject yourself to surgery, Congratulations!

Surely you know what changes accompany your decision.

Wishing you the very best of luck...... and you will find you'll have a great cruise while eating moderately and healthfully.

I have put this thread up a few months ago but I want to repeat it as I am wondering if there are other folks who have had lapband surgery who did not reply to my previous thread.

In order to deal with morbid obeisity I will be having lapband surgery in October. My wife and I are also avid cruiseers who have taken at least two (and sometimes 3) cruises a year (probably one of the reasons I need lapband surgery :mad: ).

In any event once you have this surgery your diet dramatically changes and a lot of the food you enjoyed in the past is off limits in the future. If any of you have had lapband surgery I would be interested in learning how it has changed your cruise expereince.

I had lapband surgery just over 2 years ago. My DH and I cruise approx. 3 times/year. I find that I put less emphasis on the food and more on the enjoyment of the cruise itself. Actually, that applies to all areas of my life. I put much less emphasis on food in general.

Having said that, there is practically nothing I cannot eat. I opt to keep my band appropriately filled so it doesn't prohibit anything in particular from my diet. However, of course, certain foods are a bit tougher to tolerate and requires a bit more chewing and eating slower, but that's not a bad thing. If you were out to dinner with me, you probably wouldn't even realize I have a lapband, except I eat probably 1/3 of the amount of food I ate before. I do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner practically each night as well. I try to skip the bread and concentrate more on my protein and veggies, but if I feel like bread I have some. If I feel like rice or potato or pasta, I have some. But just some. I couldn't possibly eat the amount I ate before. No way would my band tolerate it.

I also try to exercise 3-5 times a week, approx. 30 minutes (not that hard to do actually, although before surgery I found all kinds of reasons why I didn't have the time).

I lost the bulk of my weight within 6 month, continued to lose some more over the following year and am now at goal weight (of course I'd love to weigh 10-15 lbs. less, but menopause has caused me to re-examine those expectations!LOL). I've had abolutely no problem keeping my weight stable and my DH and I eat out at least once/week. I do weigh myself every day (not good for some people, but I find it keeps me in check). My weight may fluctuate 2 lbs. up or down, but never more than that.

I find I actually enjoy my cruises more after lapband than before. I never get that bloated, completely stuffed feeling anymore. We took our first cruise approx. 8 weeks after my surgery. My surgeon just recommends that I get a fill at least two weeks prior to traveling in case I'm too tight and need some "let out." However my last fill was March 2007 and I haven't needed any fill since then.

Good luck with your surgery. It was the absolute best thing I've ever done. Just wish I could have had it done years sooner.

Congratulations on your surgery... here's wishing you great success. :)

I had gastric bypass surgery in 2001, so I have experience with the changes in diet. I have found that I "enjoy" the food more now, since I have to eat slowly I have more time to actually taste it! I plan my eating based on the menu, and what I like the most. So if I really like the entrée, I will only eat a bite or 2 of the appetizer or salad. Most times the waiter will ask if I want something else - thinking I didn't like it - but I just tell them I don't eat much (I think they see this fairly often).

There's not much that I can't eat (for me, it's pork chops and spaghetti), so that doesn't interfere much. That's one thing about these surgeries, you don't know what you will be able to eat until you try (take that slowly,btw).

Just eat slowly, put your fork down in between bites, and enjoy your company at dinner, You won't miss the gluttony at all :D

I've been on six cruises (four pre lap band surgery and two post).

I've lost 83 lbs and I'm still losing.

The first post cruise sailing (March 2008) I never told the waiters I had had surgery. I simply told them "I couldn't eat much." Often, the waiter seemed concerned that I didn't like the food, even though I reassured him that I did.

The second sailing (June 2008) I told my female server right up front. It was much better this way (for me). She understood why I didn't order much, took small bites of certain foods, and why I never ate bread.

Frankly, my band is very tight. Basically, I have become a vegan (although it wasn't this way in the beginning). This was my choice. I've found out that I love the way I feel when I eat legumes (i.e. beans), yogurt, cheeses, and other non-meat proteins.

I am now able (and willing) to exercise, and believe it or not, enjoy it! In June I played basketball, pingpong, and golf. I worked out several times in the gym and I walked all the time.

I lost weight on both cruises!

There are so many food choices on the ships, however, I think the next time I cruise, I'm planning on notifying the cruise lines in advance of my dietary needs. It would be nice to have specifically what I need prepared for me.

Lapband surgery was the best choice I've ever made. It's been a slow journey for me (I'm 51) and I have more to lose. But the band has been such a terrific tool. I would highly recommend it to anyone needing to lose a significant amount of weight.

Please email me with any questions: seankaren@bellsouth.net

Karen in Kentucky

I thank everyone who has responded for your encouragement and helpful information. I especially appreciate the comments of those who have had lapband or gastric bypass surgery as it makes me more confident that I will be able to continue to enjoy cruising and still maintain my new diet. As you can well imagine I am quite nervouse about the surgery but having just turned 60 years old and having three adorable grandchildren I want to be around for a long time watching them grow up and taking them on cruises.

Hi Bob--Good for you for doing what you need to do to get healthy. Just that alone will make cruising more enjoyable! I had lap band surgery 6 years ago and have cruised many times since. I taste everything that appeals to me, and obviously eat smaller quantities. I find that I can't eat bread with a meal. If the bread and liquid are in my stomach together, the bread absorbs the liquid and becomes like a sponge in my stomach and there is no room for anything else. So I just avoid bread. And on vacation, I do save a little room for desert;) . The only thing that I no longer do on a cruise is "pig out" on the buffets. I enjoy a sit down meal much more now. Watch out for the food/calorie traps while vactioning. Things like ice cream and chocolate melt and slide past the band quite easily:eek: !!

Good luck to you.

Missyal

P.S.--I'm in Trumbull, so hi neighbor!

P.S.--I'm in Trumbull, so hi neighbor!

Thanks for your kind words and support.

Did you have your surgery at St. Vincent's with the Fairfield Bariatric Group (Dr. Ehrlich) and, if so, were you happy with them?

bob

I was one of the first people in the state to have the surgery right after it was approved. The doctor was in Stamford. About 2 months after the surgery he just up and left town without any notice. Left his practice high and dry:mad: . I turned to Dr. Ehrlich for help. At the time, Dr. E. didn't take my insurance but saw me as a patient anyway. He is a great guy. So I can't comment on his surgical skills, but his care and compassion is obvious. Very non-judgemental. I also work in the medical field and he is highly respected for the bariatric work he does. I think you are in great hands. If you are in the right frame of mind for the surgery, then the two of you will make a great team!

Missyal

At the time, Dr. E. didn't take my insurance but saw me as a patient anyway. He is a great guy.

Missyal

Yeah, my health insurance is Health Net and Dr Erhlichs group does not participate with them so I am using my out of plan benefits which means a much higher co insurance payment. My primary care physician highly recommends him and I have been impressed by the professionalisn of his office. I keep wondering why such a short and skinny doctor has chosen this aspect of medicine to be his specialty.

To Bobnatt: Congratulations on your decision - it is the best thing you can do for yourself. I work in a physician office where three of our doctors do this procedure, so I am familiar with what you are going through, even though I have not had it. Everything that has been said is correct - you can enjoy the food, just not as much. Hope all goes well for both your cruise and your surgery.

Hi Bob.

I wanted to give you this website in case you don't know about it.

www.obesityhelp.com

It's free and it's an amazing resource to learn about weight loss surgeries, insurance, surgeons, everything related to the subject. Just looking at people's before and after pictures and reading their "stories" is inspirational. There's a lapband forum, and a forum for every state, as well a zillion other forums (just like CC)!

Best of luck! The surgery will give you the tools to not feel hungry ever again. And with that tool, you'll learn to eat the right quantities and types of food that will lead you to your new life of being healthy! It's just a joy to finally not feel like I'm starving all of the time!!!

It's very normal to feel nervous about the surgery. Any surgery is scary. I was 49 when I had mine. I know your fears! It will all be worth it in a few months!

You will be in my prayers.

Karen in Kentucky

My dad had this surgery and the only thing that he cannot tolerate is carbonated beverages. He eats everything else, but in smaller quantities. My mom had gastric bypass and it was much more invasive, and 5 years later there are many things that she needs to avoid, but can still eat pretty normal. both surgeries were very successful.

MAC

Congratulations on taking this life changing step...........Sister and I have both had full blown gastric bypass surgery and yes things have changed for us.........

Our surgery was back in 2003 and we've sailed 5 or 6 times since then..........

For us the biggest thing that changed even in our real lives is still the tendancy to eat too fast and not chew well enough......I guess 50+ years of shoveling it in still can't be unlearned so quickly..........So #1 advice is "Do as I say and not as I do and chew chew chew"

We have found over the years that while there are no foods that are completely off limits, we have difficulty with some, and each of us has our own peculiar issues.......

Both of us have trouble with bread........we can have a little, but it can get pretty gummed up and cause a blockage....(btw coke is a miracle cure for blockages above your band, we always have a can in the fridge and just a few sips will help dissolve the blockage.....We can still eat salad's but the key there is; you got it....chew chew chew.........

I'm more sensitive to the "downstream" :rolleyes: effects of high fat, than sister is........but she has more problems with sugar

On a cruise what has probably been more of a hinderance to both of us is the need to carefully plan when and what you are going to have for breakfast before going ashore.......

I find that it's best to have maybe just a piece of toast and a non-fat yogurt, then make sure that I have some peanuts or something like that with me while off the ship......We usually have to give ourselves 30 - 45 minutes after we've eatten before we feel "safe" to get too far away from a restroom :o

Good luck, I don't know how long after your surgery you are planning the 1st cruise, but at least on Carnival, they have great soups and really just plenty of options that will be good for you even early after you surgery..........Oh........something that almost everyone I've chatted with and we all agree on is that fish is a great option, even early after your surgery, it's moist and easily chewed to small bits before swallowing and a great source of protien....where beef and even chicken are just harder to break down.........

My dad had this surgery and the only thing that he cannot tolerate is carbonated beverages. He eats everything else, but in smaller quantities. My mom had gastric bypass and it was much more invasive, and 5 years later there are many things that she needs to avoid, but can still eat pretty normal. both surgeries were very successful.

MAC

Oh I forgot about that one........I can't drink carbonated beverages, but sister can........go figure..........I know some people who have a very low tolerance for alcohol, but I can still enjoy a few drinks here and there, but I definately have become a cheap drunk so to speak, even the 1st drink gives me a buzz.......

And again, congratulations and good luck.......our surgery definately saved our lives.........we both lost over 100 lbs within the 1st year and though some are shocked by this we also in the last couple of years have gained back about 20 lbs.....but that's okay, I can deal with 20lbs over my goal weight, if I hadn't had that surgery or had lost the weight without the surgery, I'd be right back or over where I was to begin with..........

Oh I forgot about that one........I can't drink carbonated beverages, but sister can........go figure..........I know some people who have a very low tolerance for alcohol, but I can still enjoy a few drinks here and there, but I definately have become a cheap drunk so to speak, even the 1st drink gives me a buzz.......

And again, congratulations and good luck.......our surgery definately saved our lives.........we both lost over 100 lbs within the 1st year and though some are shocked by this we also in the last couple of years have gained back about 20 lbs.....but that's okay, I can deal with 20lbs over my goal weight, if I hadn't had that surgery or had lost the weight without the surgery, I'd be right back or over where I was to begin with..........

Yeah my mom is a cheap drunk as well!:D

Weight loss is so tough, there is so much misinformation out there. And diets do not work for the long term, they are just the wrong way to get healthy. I am a firm believer that any time that you deprive yourself or eliminate an entire category of foods, that you are setting yourself up for failure.

I am in the process of getting healthier, and I refuse to diet, eat salads and refuse myself "real food". I make a single change every few weeks, the first one was soda, I drank 3-4 a day, I replaced that with mostly water and crystal light decaf iced tea, I can still have a soda if I want one, but after that initial week, I really have not wanted one. I am cooking more at home instead of eating out, and cooking from scratch, using real fresh foods, the secret to this is to have the good stuff in your fridge ready to throw together quickly. I now eat breakfast, one with high fiber like raisin bran, I often add some low fat yogurt on the side for a little added protein, this keeps me satisfied for quite a while.

If I want some junk food I will eat it, but I just know I can't do this all the time, I just stay on an 80%-20% plan, I eat what I should 90% of the time, and 10% is some leeway to keep myself sane. I don't care if it takes 2 years to get the weight off, because this way of eating has become effortless. I lost 11 lbs. in a little over a month and a half without feeling like I was dieting, heck I was surprised when I went to the doctor and got weighed (I don't have a scale at home).

If people need this surgery than I say go for it, the health benefits far outweigh the initial risks. My mom used to travel with a gallon ziplock full of prescription bottles now she takes nothing but multivitamins.

MAC

Hi,

I had gastric bypass in Dec 06. I took a cruise in Aug 07, my 3rd cruise but the first one after surgery.

I was very apprehensive but unnecessarily so. Cruising was wonderful for my eating needs. The portions were small enough for me and gave me just what I needed. I often passed on the salad and just ate my appetizer and then entree. I also had dessert.

I was able to eat pizza, hamburgers (only a 4th and ate the rest later), I enjoyed desserts, breakfast, midnight buffet.

My friend went with me who was about 1 year and a half out from having same surgery and she was able to enjoy the food as well.

We also got up every day and went to the gym. We both found that this cruise was the best of all, because we had both lost weight and had tons of energy. We werent eating to the point of exhaustion and just felt better overall. We were much more active as well, able to walk for long periods of time and participate, instead of sleeping and sitting on the inside in the air. Plus, we got to dress up in our smaller clothes too.

We were able to manage our water intake- 30 mins after the meal-- and had alcoholic drinks too (just one at a time).

I am looking forward to this cruise, I was able to eat pretty much everything that my other family members ate, just a lot less of it and I had to stagger my eating. I lost 5 pounds when I came back as opposed to the 5-10 pound GAIN that I usually experience on cruises.

Good luck to you, cruising will continue to be wonderful.

Again I would like to thank everyone who responded for the fabulous information, encouragement and good wishes expressed on this thread. I realize that I will be going through a life changing experience but I feel better knowing that others have gone through it successfully and still are able to enjoy a cruise vacation.

God bless you all.

bob

:) Hi Bob,

I myself have not had the procedure but I have been there to support a very close family member (favorite cousin)through the entire process.

She had the procedure last Oct 31st (Tri State Bariatrics-Dr.Kwon)& has just had an amazing transformation, I'm so proud of her. I went with her for the procedure and was amazed at how quick the procedure itself was. I stayed with her right until the very minute they wheeled her into the OR. She was back in her suite where I was waiting for her in just under an hour. For her there was no pain to speak of after the procedure, just of course GAS from the air they pump into you during surgery. So I literally burped her to help it out and before long we finished up and were on our way home.

Since the procedure she has lost 70 pounds. She was able to take off the first 40 without any adjustments, just the band itself. She went back after the first 40 pounds & had an adjustment and the rest came off.

I wish you all the best! I have seen what this procedure has done for my cousin and her health & happiness and I wish you all the best in your journey.

• 6 months later...

I just had a lapband surgery 4 days ago (along with a hiatell hernia repair). I am worried about what and how to eat on our 7 night cruise and while ashore in Mexico.

any advice or suggestions? should I tell our waiter? Anything I should request or will there be plenty to choose from on each night's menu?

thanks for any suggestions.

melissa

I had the RNY gastric bypass surgery almost 7 years ago. The only difference now is that I eat a whole lot less. But I still taste everything I want to taste. Of course, it's a totally different protocol early out after surgery - especially the first year. The foods you might not be able to enjoy right away will still be there farther down the road, albeit in much smaller portions. Best of luck in your surgery and enjoy your cruises.

I had lap band surgery two weeks ago. My doctor says while I should avoid numerous things (white flour products like bread and pasta, fattening things, etc.), but I should be physically able to eat just about anything. There are a few things that just don't work for lap band people, but overall I should be able to eat whatever. It's up to me to choose NOT to.... but if I lose 100 pounds and want to have something sweet on my cruise then I will.... just not very much because there won't be much room for it!

If you haven't already, you should check out www.lapbandtalk.com or the forums on the obesityhelp website.

Archived