Key Largo Diving

RedHeadTexan

In January DH and I will be driving to Miami and plan on spending a few days in Key Largo before the cruise. We want to dive, dive, dive, but we are not familiar with any of the dive operators down there. So, who do you recommend and why?

Here's some background on us. I have been diving for two years now and my DH has been diving for about 15 years. We have full gear that we will be bringing with us. I have not done any wreck diving (been around a wreck, but not in a wreck), but DH has.

These guys have been my choice since the mid 80's

http://www.keylargodiving.com/

Very close to the entr' to Pennecamp Park so easy to get to @ mile mark 103.6 on the west side of US1 Their big draw in my opinion is they run "6-packs" ... maximum of 6 divers per boat. :D There is a cut thru channel so they do the main Pennecamp sites...Molasses, French, etc...and if you sweet talk 'em you can get a bit farther away too.

Down side is if the conditions are crudy, larger boats may go out when Q' must cancel because of the seas. We usually found if Q cancelled cuz of weater, we could go across the street to the park and get a spot on their larger boat as less experienced divers cancelled for the same reason....so there's options.

I'm a big fan of Silent World in Key Largo.

I'm a somewhat nervous diver because I don't get to go often enough, and they have the ability to (for a fee) provide private guides (want to say I pay $50 a day for that). Some of the BEST dives I've done have been with them.

One memorable dive I've done with them is the Spiegel Grove...this was before the hurricane came through and set it upright. Well worth the extra cost for the "permit"...if they're still requiring that.

They're not far from their dock, but you do have to check in at the store prior to heading to the dock. This is not a cattle boat operation, smaller boats.

Archived