What to expect disembarking in Japan?

sailorgirl

I have read that cruise passengers are subjected to some sort of examination or having their temperature taken before being allowed into Japan. Is this true and what on earth is expected of us? And is this true with other Asian ports?

One source of the temperature taking (and subsequent exam if someone does have a temperature) was the Virtual Asia Cruise on this board which was that cruise "from hell" last Fall.

Pray tell, how is this temperature taken???

No wonder disembarkation, also from what I've heard but not experienced, takes forever in Japan.

One source of the temperature taking (and subsequent exam if someone does have a temperature) was the Virtual Asia Cruise on this board which was that cruise "from hell" last Fall.

No wonder disembarkation, also from what I've heard but not experienced, takes forever in Japan.

Getting off at the airport in Hong Kong, we saw signs that said if one has fever to have the temperature taken. I think that the sign had some directions where to go. But it was voluntary -- no one standing with a Thermometer!

"...One source of the temperature taking (and subsequent exam if someone does have a temperature) was the Virtual Asia Cruise on this board which was that cruise "from hell" last Fall.

We were also on that "cruise from Hell" last Fall. We were informed we would have temps taken at Hong Kong. It was described as some kind of a "walk through machine" at the port similar to the ones at airport security. If the machine was actually there and/or if our temps were taken, we sure were unaware of it.

China, Japan.. it's all the same place (to some people).

Hong Kong often takes temperatures of arriving passengers. They use a non-intrusive device placed in the ear. Harmless and easy. I've been on cruise ships where this has been done.

I've never had (or heard of) this happening when entering Japan.

Paul

I remember arriving in Sydney from the U.S. about 12 years ago and before we could get off the plane, personnel came on board and sprayed a disinfectant throughout. Is this still the practice? Couldn't help but think about it as we discuss the temperature taking!

We had our temps taken and had to fill out a questionnaire before disembarking in Hong Kong. It wasn't that intrusive and it wasn't like you had a choice to participate or not - if you wanted to get off the ship, this is what you had to do.

However, I've not seen, experienced or heard of that bieng done in Japan. I would double check the validity of that information with the cruise line. They will tell you up front if something like that is going to happen.

In Japan, they use thermographical sensors at quarantine stations. They just scan everyone who is passing through, and if a quarantine officer detects someone who is emitting more heat than usual, then that person may be pulled off and subjected to further checks. Unless you are that someone who has to go through these extra steps, you just walk right through.

It's absolutely amazing the number of people who think that Hong Kong is part of Japan.

Have they stopped teaching Geography??? Perhaps it's a fuel saving move?????????

Doesn't surprise me a bit...........

according to The National Geographic–Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey polled more than 3,000 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden and the United States.

Sweden scored highest; Mexico, lowest. The U.S. was next to last.

"The survey demonstrates the geographic illiteracy of the United States," said Robert Pastor, professor of International Relations at American University, in Washington, D.C. "The results are particularly appalling in light of September 11, which traumatized America and revealed that our destiny is connected to the rest of the world."

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. :eek:

The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent;:rolleyes: Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent

It's absolutely amazing the number of people who think that Hong Kong is part of Japan.

Have they stopped teaching Geography???

Perhaps it's a fuel saving move?????????

Read carefully, the OP asked for assistance not only regarding Japan but in other countries as well. At no time did the OP or anyone else infer that the Hong Kong was part of Japan.

See below:

I have read that cruise passengers are subjected to some sort of examination or having their temperature taken before being allowed into Japan. Is this true and what on earth is expected of us? And is this true with other Asian ports?

Philip - Have fun bashing the US and its citizens, I trust it helps you have a better day!

• 2 weeks later...

FOR SAILORGIRL

"I remember arriving in Sydney from the U.S. about 12 years ago and before we could get off the plane, personnel came on board and sprayed a disinfectant throughout. Is this still the practice? Couldn't help but think about it as we discuss the temperature taking!'

Yes this still happens on all flights from any overseas countries in Aus. In Aus we have very strict systems in place for quarantine.

• 3 weeks later...

When you arrive at Hong Kong Airport (and a number of other Asian airports) you walk through an area that has a thermal imaging camera. (They probably use the same device at ports). This is able to pick out hot spots. If you are identified then you may be asked about your health. If you're really concerned make sure you don't walk too quickly or wear too much warm clothing and keep hydrated, then you will be fine unless you are really running an extreme fever. They will be more vigilant if there are recent cases of bird flu or SARS. G.

Archived