Santorini question

poss

Wondering whether former Regent cruisers tend just to stroll around the town or do excursions. We're not interested in wine-making, which is what most of the excursions include, but the town of Oia sounds wonderful (part of the wine tour). In short: Stay put in Fira or tour to other parts of island?

Thanks.

In May, we spent four days in Santorini following a cruise because we thought it was so spectacular when we spent only hours there during a previous cruise. Specifically, we stayed in Oia. Personally, if I had it to do again from a ship, I think I'd just try to grab a cab and wonder around Oia. When we went from the ship's excursion, we had such a short time, it was almost a waste. That way, you can control things and not go in a bus and be constrained. You can have a nice lunch there overlooking the caldera and visit the shops. The photo opportunities are incredible.

We were there on a Celebrity cruise four years ago. Grabbed a Mercedes cab for 4 hrs for four of us...quite reasonable...the driver was an excellent guikde...took us to the impressive archeological digs, then to lunch at an out of the way taverna on a point overlooking the caldera, saw the grape vines growing low to the ground, drove thru some pitcutresque villages and then ended up with about an hour or so to walk around Oia before heading back to town for the descent to the ship. A wonderful day and you'll regret it if you miss Oia!

Larry

Archeological digs were closed when we were there, but that was a couple of years ago. We just explored around town on foot. If I went again, I would hire a cab to Oia. Wouldn't take a ship tour on this island--not needed.

Agree with RachaelG.. Get a cab and visit Oia. Stroll around, take some fotos and have some lunch. Fria is just one jewely store after another after another. Visually the caldera is superb, Just imagine what happened at Krackatowa.

I love to get off the ship, take the funicular (not the mules) up to the top of the island, sit at an outdoor cafe, sip wine have a great lunch and people watch!

Host Dan

I'm reading the replies with much interest. Would greatly prefer(to save cost of excursion) just to do the town, stroll, enjoy the sights, etc.

Dan--I'm curious-- did you visit Oia as well and feel that staying put in Fira was just as interesting (i.e. no big deal to miss Oia)?

DH not comfortable hiring private taxi for excursions; so we're "stuck" with doing Regent excursions (if we decide to explore a bit farther). (Have always enjoyed the ship excursions in past, but they're very expensive now; would like to cost cost wherever possible--IF it doesn't mean missing out on something very special.)

Thanks again.

If you don't want to do the taxi to Oia, just staying in town and exploring really is fine. It is a great "walking around" place. I truly don't think taking a ship excursion is needed here. There are lots of shops, nooks and crannies, cafes to fill up the day.

travelcat, if poss's spouse doesn't want to cab it, I doubt she would be interested in an ATV! But I am eager to hear of your adventures when you go!

Really poss, up to you. I have been to Santorini on a land trip and stayed about 4 days, doing many things you can't do with just one day there. Thira/Fira whatever you see it called, is full of lots of shops, restaurants, yes, fun to roam that town alone. However, when I returned there on a cruise, I had definite ideas about what I wanted to do on my one day there. One was to return to Oia. It is so much different, and less commercial than the town at the top of the funicular. This is where you can get the really good photographs of the quintessential greek buildings with the white buildings and blue domes. We took a cab, did not engage him for the time we were there, and he was there a few minutes after we were waiting for a cab back to the port!

Okok-- I'm convinced: I definitely don't want to miss Oia. About how much would a taxi cost? (and I suppose they would not take credit cards?) May wind up doing the Regent excursion instead-- though we don't enjoy walking around towns in groups. (Comfort of DH not unimportant-- tho he can't quite put his finger on just why he's not comfortable with taxi idea. Seems "easier" just to take ship tour.) (Our happiest on shore "tours" of all were ones we did by ourselves-- at least half of the stops on Baltic 3 yrs ago and on Dover-Nice last year.)

Thanks for the input!

We were there in April on the Rotterdam. A hip's tour is a waste of money in our opinion because you really don't have a lot of time on this island so we just made up our mind to relax and enjoy what we could.

If there are lots of ships in port then getting up the funicular is a long wait. And because of my size, I did not want to kill a donkey by riding up. Don't know the line up for them. Anyway, at the top, Fira was very crowded with shoulder to shoulder tourists. We decided to take the local bus to Oia (the archeological dig is closed) so we walked down the other side of Fira towards the bus station (get a map and get your ship's tour people to tell you how to find the bus station, a 4 block walk). As it turned out, we ended up taking a taxi to Oia. I think it cost 15euro each or maybe for both. We decided that this was the quickest and easiest way there as time was a more critical resource than money. Local bus is about 3 euro I think.

Anyway, Oia was much less crowded and quite interesting if still very touristy. Hell, all of Santorini is touristy but for good reason. As we got there fairly early, we were able to tour the town and then find a spectacular lunch setting before the various tours from the ships arrived. We then attempted to catch the local bus back but they run about hourly and get really crowded so again, we opted for a taxi back ti Fira. Our ship was leaving about 8pm so we had time to wander around Fira after the other ships had left. This was a much more pleasant experience. In fact, if you have the time, walk on the pathway from Fira toward Oia which is right on the edge of the cliff overlooking your ship. We found this terrific restaurant (The Flame) where we had a lovely glass of wine while enjoying a million dollar view and the hospitality of the owner who was terrific. Gave us a free glass of their local wine as well plus loaned us some binoculars so we could enjoy the view.

There were 3 ships in port when we arrived and I thought Santorini was crowded then. I have heard they get as many as 7 at a time. In these crowded circumstances, the only reason you may want to opt for a ships tour is (at least for our ship) that they let those on tour off on the first tenders to meet their buses at a different port on the island. This would get you up top and take you to wherever. An option might be to take the cheapest and shortest tour and abandon it at some point. Like where they make one of the inevitable "shopping" stops.

A last thought: Santorini is really beautiful. The crowded conditions can make it a hell on earth. We decided that someday we would come back to Santorini and stay awhile. Therefore, for the few hours we had, we enjoyed the sites and the walks without trying to see it all. THe money spent on the cabs was more than others spent on the local buses but we had more time to explore and found places that were essentially tourist free.

Oh yes, one other thing. One of the passengers on our ship actually walked to the next village along the pathway we mentioned. Said it was beautiful and uncrowded. Another option.

Gord

My time in Santorini was on a Seabourn ship. At that time there might have been one other ship in port, so the town was not crowded at all.. Actually extemely pleasant. We stayed in Fira the whole time, and have such wonderful memories of one of the most beautiful places on earth!

Host Dan

Archived