College Fjord

FarmGal65

I noticed that we will be cruising College Fjord during our early dinner seating. Does Princess do something special that night or do we just eat in the Horizon Court?

I am just home from the cruise plus 8 more days in the interior so I am a little foggy. We were in College Fjord for a couple of hours and it was really spectacular. We had anytime dining, which we could never figure out, but I don't remember how late we ate. I think that you would have enough time to go to early time dining and then cut your evening short instead of having coffee and talking afterwards. Is your table at a window or in the middle of the dining room? Hopefully someone else will answer with a better answer, but I think that we were in this area for five hours or so, and as such had time for both because daylight isn't an influencing factor.

As much as we loved Glacier Bay, we think that we might have even enjoyed College Fjord even better. Seeing all the glaciers at once is pretty spectacular.

Janice

Crusing College Fjord during dinnertime sounds like a northbound voyage. Let's say it is somewhat chaotic that evening. Horizon Court will be like a zoo with probably twice the normal number of people who usually will be dining there. Worst, alot of people with window seats will stay in their seats to watch the glaciers go by and who will not leave even if they are done dining. College Fjord was wonderful as it was sunny and warm. The wind was blowing the right direction so that there was no wind chill. But, Horizon Court was probably the worst place to be during the cruise through College Fjord except in your regular dining room where there is no view. It is a bad situation with no real good solution. Of course, we just joined the mob at Horizon Court for dinner. :D

We were on a Princess northbound sailing out of College Fjord at dinnertime three years ago and there was no special dining to accommodate the glacier viewing time. I don’t remember what was being served in the dining rooms that night, but for whatever reason the HC was not very busy. We took photos until we were just about the last ones out on deck, then went to the HC in our glacier-viewing clothes. The weather was very nice; no crowd in the buffet … must have been our lucky day.

We also enjoyed College Fjord, probably more than we thought that we would.

I

As much as we loved Glacier Bay, we think that we might have even enjoyed College Fjord even better. Seeing all the glaciers at once is pretty spectacular.

Janice

Hi Janice, welcome home! We were a day ahead of your ship and had the same experience and impressions as you. Both GB and CF were spectacular but I was surprised at the grandeur of CF. Maybe that's because it was partly cloudy with sunbreaks and we could see the high peaks surrounding the area. GB was pretty cloudy and there was only 1 small calving the whole time we were there.

Entering and leaving CF, there were some humpbacks and a lot of sea otters. Anyone not out on deck probably missed them.

College Fjord is one of my favorite places. Remember you took the cruise to see Alaska, you can eat anytime. Head outside and enjoy the scenery. FYI the scenery is pretty spectacular well before you actually enter College Fjord.

Hello,

We will be on the Coral Princess next Tuesday, July 29th cruising through College Fjord from 6:00am-10:00am. What time should we be out on deck so that we won't miss anything? I think the sun rises somewhere around 5:00am. Thanks, Kathy :)

College Fjord is one of my favorite places. Remember you took the cruise to see Alaska, you can eat anytime. Head outside and enjoy the scenery. FYI the scenery is pretty spectacular well before you actually enter College Fjord.

I couldn't agree more. College Fjord is spectacular and you shouldn't miss a minute of it. You can always order a room service dinner or go to the buffet later. Do yourself a favor and take full advantage of being in this beautiful place.

Hello,

We will be on the Coral Princess next Tuesday, July 29th cruising through College Fjord from 6:00am-10:00am. What time should we be out on deck so that we won't miss anything? I think the sun rises somewhere around 5:00am. Thanks, Kathy :)

Try and be up by 5:00 - as other posters stated, sometimes you will see whales and other wildlife going in to the Fjord. (This time of the year, the sun is up very early)

Stired, where did you take all the great bear pics(I viewed your 2008 photos)? They're awesome!!

Thank you. Got the bear pics at Brooks Falls. If you click on the link just below the 2008 photos (the 2008 trip review), I go into detail about our day there. It was absolutely fantastic! :D

We had an afternoon/evening sailing of College Fjord. I think we just grabbed a sandwich or something, then went back out on deck until we docked in Whittier about midnight. Even after sailing the fjord itself, the scenery is spectacular all the way into Whittier. We enjoyed sitting out on starboard best (northbound), but went closer to the front as we pulled into Whittier. It was pretty quiet... perhaps everyone else was dining, packing, or watching the stage finale.

• 2 weeks later...
I noticed that we will be cruising College Fjord during our early dinner seating. Does Princess do something special that night or do we just eat in the Horizon Court?

We were on a Northbound Island Princess cruise and we got to College Fjord just about time for early seating dinner. Lucky for us we had later reservations at the Bayou Cafe. We usually take second seating but we were with friends for this Alaska cruise.

Archived