Aft(stern)verandah Eurodam

COLLEYBERRY

I would love to hear any details about the aft(stern) balconies and cabins on the Eurodam. The lucky CCers who have already sailed in the VA/VB cat.,how did you find the vibrations/motion in these cabins??

Any photos would be terrific. We sail in Sept, our cabin is on the fourth deck and I am wondering if the balcony is completely covered, Thanks for any information:) :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were on deck 7 right at the center line. Loved it! The only "noise" is from the wake. You cannot carry on a quiet conversation when the ship is underway. But that's not a negative for me. The sound of the wake is marvelous.

The big plus of the VA cabins back there is the extra depth of both the cabin and the verandah. Lots of extra room. And for scenic cruising, you're never on the wrong side of the ship. You can see both port and starboard views from the same place. I highly recommend getting one of them.

I was amazed at the lack of noise/vibration on Deck 5 aft, but bear in mind that we never approached full service speeds either and had extremely calm seas - I believe we were always in the sub-20 knot range.

I also never heard any creaks/groans from the ship and it's cabinetry as I have on other ships - Captain Van Donsellar tells me that Eurodam is much more structurally rigid than the Vistas because of the additional midship structure. (Tamarind/Silk Den) - but again, we never experienced swells that would have caused any noise.

Deck 4 is very nearly completely covered - only about a foot is exposed at the aft rail.

Thank you Brian .I have followed your thread from the Eurodam, it was very informative and lots of fun.

I really apppreciated your detail discription of the suite/verandah cabins,it gave us all quite a visual. Thankyou for all the time, effort and funds it took, to have us share your experience.

I am pleased to hear noise and motion were not an issue. Looks like the Tamarind is a success in more ways than one.:)

I don't know what speeds the ship will reach on the New England /Canada itinerary or how rough the seas will be, hopefully deck four will be a good location. Thanks again for your input.

Thankyou Jim, I was hoping you would reply .I knew from your posts you were trying staying an aft cabin for the first time so I was interested to hear your reaction.

Your reply has been very reasuring, all the things you have mentioned were why we choose an aft cabin . I didn't realize they were larger though ,bonus!! We can't wait to experience it for ourselves.

My DH and I love the sight and sound of the wake ,to step out our balcony door and find it there ,will be such a treat.

You have been very helpful ,thanks again.:)

Brian,

Would you please write about some of the differences between the suites on E'dam and the Vistas. We were in an SC aft on Westerdam, and an SA on Noordam. I thought the veranda on the Noordam SA was more shallow than on the S and R class, so that's a given. You also mentioned the loss of the medicine cabinets. What about the bar area and the number of drawers excluding the under bed and under couch? Any information would be much appreciated. Thank-you,

GN

Brian,

Would you please write about some of the differences between the suites on E'dam and the Vistas. We were in an SC aft on Westerdam, and an SA on Noordam. I thought the veranda on the Noordam SA was more shallow than on the S and R class, so that's a given. You also mentioned the loss of the medicine cabinets. What about the bar area and the number of drawers excluding the under bed and under couch? Any information would be much appreciated. Thank-you,

GN

GN -

You've summed up several major differences.

The reading lamps next to the beds are LED's on flexi-goosenecks (a refreshing and highly functional change!!!), the nightstands are slightly different and taller (see Rev Greg's photos), the cocktail tables are height-adjustable (thoughtful touch), the stools are square and have lids that flip from a padded seat to a tray table (more functional and easier to use than the round stools - they make for a handy dirty-clothes hamper) - but pretty much everything else other than the colors and materials which you can see in the photos was the same.

Other than the electrical plug location and lack of enclosed storage in the bathrooms, the shallower aft verandah and the cheap laminate tabletops on the verandah and the surrealist artwork in some of the verandah staterooms - I personally prefer the new stateroom designs.

Oanpea indicated that the noise was pretty bad from the pool chairs above on deck 8. Anyone else out there who booked an aft cabin on deck 8? I have 8173, 8175, 8177 and 8168 booked for my family and I need to know if I should get a gross of earplugs. :confused::confused::confused:

Ear plugs or Bose Headphone would work. Unless something is done about the problem with the Lido deck and the cleaning crew who work between 4am to 530am. If you like getting up at that time then its no problem.

We were on deck 7 right at the center line. Loved it! The only "noise" is from the wake. You cannot carry on a quiet conversation when the ship is underway. But that's not a negative for me. The sound of the wake is marvelous.

The big plus of the VA cabins back there is the extra depth of both the cabin and the verandah. Lots of extra room. And for scenic cruising, you're never on the wrong side of the ship. You can see both port and starboard views from the same place. I highly recommend getting one of them.

I was on deck 7 next the Jim and I loved it. This was my second time in an aft cabin and it was perfect. The extra room is great and for scenic cruising -- it's the best. We had breakfast every day on our verandan. I leave the reviews up to my other Cruise members -- I just loved the Eurodam and will be on her again in 2009.

Archived