My Time dining and tipping

It seems to me that the general consensus with regards to tipping is that the service will suffer because the gratuities are pre-paid. This will be our first cruise onboard an RCI ship and I don't understand the problem. We have always had Anytime Dining sailing with Princess and we have never noticed the service to suffer because of prepaid gratuities. Comments and or past experiences?:confused: ?

We have recently returned from Serenade of the Seas and it was the first time for us experiencing My Time Dining,and the service was fantastic.We had to pre pay the gratuities but we still gave a tip to the staff that had looked after us so well.I would have no hesitation in using My Time Dining on our next cruise if it is available.

We have recently returned from Serenade of the Seas and it was the first time for us experiencing My Time Dining,and the service was fantastic.We had to pre pay the gratuities but we still gave a tip to the staff that had looked after us so well.I would have no hesitation in using My Time Dining on our next cruise if it is available.

Thank-you. According to some of the other threads, pre-paid gratuities call for diminished services.

Is it possible that out of 87 views not one comment? I am really getting to think that the RCI board is a total waste of time!!:mad:

Calm down. My Time dining is very new on RCI. Only a few ships have this in place so many folks on here have not experienced MTD or the pre-pay of gratuities. As time goes on and more guests try it, I'm sure that we will see more comments about the service.

Calm down. My Time dining is very new on RCI. Only a few ships have this in place so many folks on here have not experienced MTD or the pre-pay of gratuities. As time goes on and more guests try it, I'm sure that we will see more comments about the service.

Sorry for my outburst but this is not the first thread that I've started that took time to get a response. :o

Thank-you. According to some of the other threads, pre-paid gratuities call for diminished services.

Probably reported by the same people who complain about everything else. I've cruised on NCL and Princess with prepaid gratuities; good service for the most part. My favorite, however, is traditional dining. Love it!:)

It seems to me that the general consensus with regards to tipping is that the service will suffer because the gratuities are pre-paid. This will be our first cruise onboard an RCI ship and I don't understand the problem. We have always had Anytime Dining sailing with Princess and we have never noticed the service to suffer because of prepaid gratuities. Comments and or past experiences?:confused: ?

That is because you never experienced Traditional Dining and have nothing to compare to.

That is because you never experienced Traditional Dining and have nothing to compare to.

OP, please understand this guy is a one pony show.

We've always prepaid gratuities on RC and have never had poor service. Their are those who are just opposed to the My Time change and use as a reason the service will be awful because of the tips. These are the people who will never try My Time so they will not be able to give you an honest review other than hearsay. There have been very few reports about bad service w/My time.

Just because you "pre-pay", doesn't mean the server GETS the tips until the end of the cruise! Service shouldn't suffer, because the server won't know HOW you're paying the tips until the last night!

They do on My Time dining as gratuities have to be paid at the time that you make the decision to switch. Again when we signed up, the gratuities were added at that moment BEFORE RCI would move us over so in a word, yes the servers know that you pre-paid.

Just because you "pre-pay", doesn't mean the server GETS the tips until the end of the cruise! Service shouldn't suffer, because the server won't know HOW you're paying the tips until the last night!

The only way to have My Time Dining is to pre-pay your tips. Therefore, the waiters KNOW that the tips have been paid in advance. So, service could, I am not saying would, but could be not as good I suppose. I don't remember reading any complaints of poor service with the MTD though.

Where in my post do you see that I am comparing. :confused:

All I am repeating is what I've read here. That peple seem to assume that once the tips are pre-paid, the service won't be the same.

See bolded text above. "IF you have ALWAYS had ...." Then you have nothing else to compare to. Therefore, "How would you know the difference?"

I was on Caribbean Princess in May as well and thought the service was not as good as on my 3 RCCL cruises. It may have just been our waitstaff, however, since other tables in the area seemed to be getting prompter, friendlier service than we were. We had "modified anytime" - the same table and servers at the same time every night - since part of our large group did not make it off the extremely large waitlist for Traditional dining, our TA moved the whole group to Anytime and made a standing ressie for us.

Maybe I should look for my last post on another thread about My Time Dining.

To recap..........the service was surburb.........the meals the same as the main dining room.........as we took up part of it.........and we could change our dining time with one days notice..........and actually on the same day with notifying the concierge......(if that is available to you) of when you would like to eat.

Personally..........I will not go back to traditional dining.

Rick

See bolded text above. "IF you have ALWAYS had ...." Then you have nothing else to compare to. Therefore, "How would you know the difference?"

A simple request for me to elaborate on this remark would suffice. If my post is confusing to you then say so. I believe you've just flamed me and totally unecessary. I did not start this thread to p... people off then why are you doing that to me.

Archived