Celebrity Summit -v- RCCL Brilliance

I have sailed the Radiance class several times and it is my favorite class of ship. I am looking at a Med cruise next summer and the Brilliance and Summit offer similar ports of interest to us. How does a D1 on Radiance compare to a CC cabin on the Summit? Price between the 2 ships is not really the issue in this question. I have never sailed on Celebrity and we are Diamond + on RCCL. Any comparison would be appreciated!:o

Probably compares very well with the CC on Summit being a bit more elegant. Have sailed on Summit twice and Jewel(same as Brilliance)once with a 2nd trip this fall. The ships themselves are very similar in size. Celebrity tends to be quieter more sedate which is why we have found we prefer RCCL, it's just more fun. If all things were equal I would probably sail the Brilliance in a JS, which should be fairly comparable in cost to a CC on Summit and MUCH larger!! Have fun choosing.

We had the same question about the two ships. We have sailed the Brilliance in the med. and loved the ship. However, for our 2nd trip to the med where we want to do an itinerary that includes Venice, we're opting for the Summit due to the ports since it also goes to Santorini (one of our favorite ports) and Athens. I believe the Brillance goes to Corfu.

You can't wrong with either one of them. I agree with the post that the Summit is a bit more elegant but with a port intensive trip like the Med. the elegance doesn't matter. You are a winner with either ship or itinerary.

I've sailed the M-class X ships three times in concierge class cabins and D1s on Radiance-class ships five times (including four times on Brilliance). The cabin sizes are the same or very close, although the layout is different. On the M-class ships, the bed is positioned close to the door and on the Radiance class ships, it's located next to the balcony doors. The amenities in the CC cabins are nice: extra fluffy towels and bathmat, flowers in the cabin, hor d'oevres and a fresh fruit basket delivered each day, a choice of pillows from a pillow menu, and some that you would receive anyway because of your status (priority embarkation, debarkation and tender tickets, bathrobes).

You will receive a balcony discount on Brilliance that you won't on Summit and you have access to the concierge lounge on Brilliance -- which doesn't exist on X ships. The coupons are better (in my opinion) on the RCCL ships, and you have two specialty restaurants to choose from as opposed to one (although the specialty restaurant on the X ship is far superior to Chops and Portofino's). The atmosphere is more sedate and elegant on X, although it's not difficult to find fun -- and fun people -- onboard.

As far as the itineraries are concerned, you need to decide what ports you want to visit and whether you are willing to fly on an open jaw, which may or may not be more expensive. Also keep in mind that staying in Venice (and eating and getting around) is VERY expensive. That being said, the fact that the itinerary includes Santorini is a huge plus in my book (if it still does).

When we were booking for the Med cruise we just completed in June, I considered either Summit or Brilliance. Brilliance won because it's our favorite ship and because it was less expensive to fly roundtrip from Barcelona rather than open jaw (we ended up with an open jaw anyway because of a pre-cruise trip). DH really wanted to sail Brilliance, and if he didn't feel so strongly, I would have chosen Summit. I liked the ports better on Summit, although the price was higher.

Hope this helps.

I also have been on both ships and would hands down choose Brilliance of the seas . There seems to be more storage space in a D1 cabin

as opposed to a cc cabin on celebrity. I find the radiance class ships

on royal caribean to be more stable motion wise than celebrity millenium

class ships. Also, we found the service from staff to be much friendlier

on the Brilliance. Lastly , you said you were Diamond..... the perks for

Diamond Crown and Anchor members with use of the diamond lounge

and coupon book were much more than you get from celebrity captain club at the same level. JMHO hope it helps!

We decided on Brilliance because I really want the more "relaxed" atmosphere and I enjoy the class of ship so much! Plus, we did get the balcony discounts and were able to snag an aft J/S (1604). I wish Brilliance did Santorini on this trip but I will save that island for another time :)

Thanks to everyone for their imput!

If you're a D+ with RCCL, I'd definitely go with Brilliance. While you'll have the same repeat passenger status on Celebrity (Elite), the perks are no where near as good on Celebrity. There's no Concierge Lounge (the best D+ perk IMO), and the discount coupons are mediocre at best. We're D+ but have sailed Celebrity as well, and unless there is an itinerary that we like better we'll stay with RCCL for the perks.

Archived