Celebrity defines "formal" and "smart casual and above"

Rusty

Effective 8/1/08:

Examples of "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal" attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks

No who in his/her right mind would think holes, rips or tears go with smart?

Probably the same people who think jeans and t-shirts or t-shirts/sweatshirts with sequins added by your bedazzler go with formal.

I couldn't believe this had I not seen it... but on a cruise to Hawaii a few years back (it was either Princess or Celebrity), a young man actually tried to get in the dining room wearing a white "wife beater" tank top! Thank God the staff did their job... and he was turned away.

He was seen walking around the shops later that evening... still wearing his "wife beater".

Some people just don't have a clue!

Definitions are great...but enforcement is where it all lies. Unless they are willing to enforce it the definitions are useless.

Aren't most cruisers adults?

Isn't it reasonable to expect adults to act as adults?

True, some adults don't act as adults, they act like children.

But with any standard, the expectation is that adults will act responsibly.

There is selective enforcement of any standard (or law) simply because there is no practical way to police every infraction.

Simply because there is selective enforcement does not absolve anyone of their individual responsibility.

For me, the lack of acting responsibly by an adult says more about that person than any lack of enforcement says about those empowered to do the enforcement. Now I might agree with the person who choses to violate the standard (or law), but that is after I have an understanding of motive. Being able to get away with it is not an acceptable motive, IMO. Given the standards being discused here, there are very few motives that I can think of that I would consider acceptable because there are options available which do not require me to explore or consider the motives of violators.

Responsible adults act responsibly. You are free to label for yourself those adults that shrug their responsibility. Laying the problem of irresponsible adults on the cruise line is simply giving the irresponsible an excuse, IMO.

Big Belly Bob. He thinks he's the smartest person in the world because he is the first person in his family that got their high school diploma (by taking the GED, he dropped out of school after repeating the 9th grade three times). In his defense, he works hard and the nature of his work causes holes, rips and tears in his bib overalls all the time. ;)

More to come at some point about BBB.

I couldn't believe this had I not seen it... but on a cruise to Hawaii a few years back (it was either Princess or Celebrity), a young man actually tried to get in the dining room wearing a white "wife beater" tank top! Thank God the staff did their job... and he was turned away.

He was seen walking around the shops later that evening... still wearing his "wife beater".

Some people just don't have a clue!

Hey, he paid good money for his cruise, dress code be Dam'ed. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Effective 8/1/08:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Gosh, they defined it.!!! Takes all the fun away.

Dan and Miguel

Effective 8/1/08:

Smart Casual and Above

Formal

Sounds like a reasonable request to me, now on to enforcement.........

Archived