Passport Cards?

sail7seas

We renewed our Passports within the last year and Passport cards were not yet available.

If we were to apply for passport cards now, would we have to get new passports again?

Do the Passport Cards and Passports have to have the exact same photo?

Thanks if anyone can help.

The passport card may be fine for travel to and from Mexico, but you can't use it for air travel, and you can't use it for anywhere that wants to put a stamp in your passport. I can see how it would be useful if you lived on the Canadian and Mexican border and drive through a lot (although I think you'd want a NEXUS card for Canada and a SENTRI card for Mexico), but I can't see it being much use otherwise. You certainly couldn't use it for travel to Europe or Central or South America. I'd stick with a regular passport.

It would suffice for going ashore in Caribbean islands and leaving passport in safe. We don't bring our passports ashore with us and I think a passport card would be of more substance than a drivers license or a photocopy of a passport.

It would be useful on our Canada/New England cruises.

Thanks for the link, Mark.

It would suffice for going ashore in Caribbean islands and leaving passport in safe. We don't bring our passports ashore with us and I think a passport card would be of more substance than a drivers license or a photocopy of a passport.

Happy to help. Recently spent a full day at the passport center in DC, so I feel clued-in! :)

I am considering getting one exactly for your stated reasons. I am one of those who always brings his passport with him. The card is much easier to carry, and recognized as genuine US ID by those who may need to know.

Cheers

Mark

Just curious

Why would you need a passport card if you have a new passport?

I would wait till your passport expires..

Our passports expire in 2015

The passport card may be fine for travel to and from Mexico, but you can't use it for air travel, and you can't use it for anywhere that wants to put a stamp in your passport. I can see how it would be useful if you lived on the Canadian and Mexican border and drive through a lot (although I think you'd want a NEXUS card for Canada and a SENTRI card for Mexico), but I can't see it being much use otherwise. You certainly couldn't use it for travel to Europe or Central or South America. I'd stick with a regular passport.

We leave our Passports in the Ship's safe

I agree with Sail & Mark 100%...

We always leave our passports in the Ships Safe & carry photocopies, unless the local authorities require that we carry the original..

When we get back from Alaska, plan to apply for the Card..They are only $20.00 pp & well worth it as it would be another & excellent form of ID..

All merchants we've ever dealt with have accepted both our Drivers Lic & photocopy of the passport for ID...

Cheers..:) Betty

Our passports expire in 2015

Lucky you...ours are only good for 5 years

We leave our Passports in the Ship's safe

ours are kept by the purser

When we get back from Alaska, plan to apply for the Card..(our Passports expire in 2015) It's only $20.00 pp & well worth it as It's an excellent form of ID..

for $20. I guess I would get one also if we could

Guest carlogesualdo

Considering that states do not let you have more than one driver's license, I'm willing to bet you will not be allowed to have both a passport and a passport card.

Considering that states do not let you have more than one driver's license, I'm willing to bet you will not be allowed to have both a passport and a passport card.

Why not? I'll take that bet & raise you on it;) State rules have nothing to do with this..Passports are issued by the Federal Govt. & they have no such rule..

Take a look at the State Dept. Link which Mark provided above & the following link in PDF format:

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/ppt_pptCard.pdf

You will see it clearly states, that U.S. Citizens who are in possession of valid passports can apply for this as a renewal passport card for the sum of $20.00...You also can apply for both renewals at the same time for the sum of $120.00..($75 for the book & $45.00 for the card)

First time applicants will be required to pay $45.00 for adult cards & $35.00 for children's cards..in addition to the amount of the passport book..Total cost for adults is $145.00, if you want both..

However, the clause that valid Passport holders can apply for renewal stumps me:confused: ..Does that mean the card will be valid for 10 years from the issue date in (2018) or will the card expire when our Book Passports expire in 2015..Will have to investigate this further, but it's time to make dinner for DH..

Any one else have thoughts on this?

Lucky you...ours are only good for 5 years

ours are kept by the purser

for $20. I guess I would get one also if we could

Forgot to look & see where you were from..Sorry..

Yes, to me that's a good deal....For once the State Dept. came up with a good idea..:D :D ..

Only kidding, please no flames...:mad: :mad: .

I am afraid you would lose that bet. My DW and I just applied for both and have already received the passports and have received notification that the passport cards are in full production now and would be coming soon.

Yes you can have both ,my husband renewed his passport and the Embassy offered him both.

Actually, that is not true in all states. At the moment, I am holding two valid driver's licenses. I renewed mine in advance of when my current one would expire and when I presented my current one, I was told I could keep it. The old has not yet expired and the new one is valid as of the date of issue.

Besides.......State law and Federal are not always the same. Passports, of course, are U.S. State Department. Strictly Federal.

I wish the Passport Cards had been available when we renewed our passports. We definitely would have applied for them but our renewals were done just a bit before we could also get the cards.

Guest carlogesualdo
Yes you can have both, my husband renewed his passport and the Embassy offered him both.

Alright...if y'all say so...

Actually, that is not true in all states. At the moment, I am holding two valid driver's licenses. I renewed mine in advance of when my current one would expire and when I presented my current one, I was told I could keep it. The old has not yet expired and the new one is valid as of the date of issue.

Besides.......State law and Federal are not always the same. Passports, of course, are U.S. State Department. Strictly Federal.

I wish the Passport Cards had been available when we renewed our passports. We definitely would have applied for them but our renewals were done just a bit before we could also get the cards.

Having one that's about to expire and its replacement is quite different from having two from different states. I know of no state that will allow this. And I am well aware of the difference between state and federal law and which government handles which. I was using the driver's license as a parallel. It was a bad parallel because I believe some states will allow you have an ID card and a driver's license.

Still...I wouldn't bother with a passport card. It's an unnecessary expense in my book. You can't fly home to the US on one if you get stuck somewhere like Jamaica. I carry my actual passport with me anytime I get off the ship. Of course, others feel differently, and I respect that.

As others have stated not true. So far all anecdotes have been for renewals, but it's also the case for new passport applications. I applied for my 1st passport last week and the form asked me to check off whether I wanted a passport, a passport card or both. (I just chose the passport, even though the card was only $20 more. The passport will get me anywhere I'll be traveling).

Don't rush to get your passport cards...our fine government is several months behind and the anticipated June roll-out has come and gone.

Good news is that I went to the post office, turned in my application, money and birth certificate at 5:00pm last Friday and I had my passport in my mail box 6 days later...now that's FAST!! They haven't even cashed my check yet!

I feel soooo official now that I have a passport :D !

Hey all. My fam and I applied for the passport card on 02-12-08. We got everything back with in a week saying we were approved and would get it as soon as production starts. We then about a month or so later got another letter saying production was pushed back, but would get them as soon as the new production started in early spring. I called the number on 7-31 (we are traveling on 8-31) and they told me full production started on 7-15 and we should have our cards in the next few weeks. I told the guy we were traveling in the "next few weeks". He then told me I could send in a app for the passport and pay the difference and have it expitdited at MY COST to ensure I got it in time for my cruise. Needless to say, I applied in Feb. hopefully expecting it by mid July and now don't have it at beginning of Aug.

Spoke to my TA and to NCL and they both advised me that I DO NOT NEED the passport to cruise our itenerary (Fl & Bahamas) at this time. B/C and photo ID will be good, BUT to bring the papers with me that show that we have been approved for the card. It will however be MANDATORY as of 6-1-09 that ALL travelers have a passport for travel.

Sorry for the rant, thought I would add in what I have learned.

That is very odd you don't have your passport yet. I can understand there could have been a delay for the passport card but why not the regular passport? Are they holding them so they will send all together?

It is true you don't need the passport to cruise as of right now but you do need it to fly home....in the event of an emergency that required you leave the ship, you could have difficulty seeing as you don't have your passports yet. Most people are saying they are getting passports within three weeks of their applying. There seems to be a real snafu with your. Sadly. :(

...It will however be MANDATORY as of 6-1-09 that ALL travelers have a passport for travel..
This is NOT correct and your TA is mistaken, you can continue to travel on a round trip cruise from the US with just a BC and DL after 6/1/09. Tell your TA to go to this DHS website and read the section titled "Cruise Passengers":

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders

As for the passport cards, it is unfortunate that you were not told at the time you applied that production was not going to start until summer. I feel for you, as many were not told the cards would be so delayed. I do know that some folks who applied very early in February have started receiving them, perhaps yours will arrive shortly. But you will be just fine to travel on your upcoming cruise with BC and DL, so do not worry.

Hey all, we finally got our passport cards in the mail yesterday! A lot of waiting and anticipation and finally! We can take a sigh of relief now! My DD4 thinks it is her drivers license and has asked us if she can now drive the ship with the captain :p . Kids are so cute. Now off the work on the packing list that my mom has told me so much about and to make sure i do! Gotta get a few things from the dollar store (over the door shoe thingy) and maybe a cheepy pop-up hamper for the closet.

I need to go read the links to see if one must send in their current passport with the application (and check) in order to get a passport card. Our passports are new within the last year or so but I'd like to get us the cards.

Thanks. I don't mind what the fee is but I am reluctant to send in our newly renewed passports. If all we have to send it BC, application and check, that's great and I shall do that.

Archived