Frustrated With Ports Of Call Boards

elou

Sorry, but I rarely get answers. Sure would appreciate some. Has anyone done the walking tour in St. Thomas or the sub plus coral world; also, how about the seaworld explorer in St. Maarten. Usually these boards answer to beach activities instead. I live in Florida, so water does not interest me. Please help. Thanks.

Where in Florida do you live? We are also in Florida. The times we go to those places we don't even do tours any more. We shop a little and then enjoy the ship. We have done land tours that take you around the island in St. Maarten and in St. Thomas we took a tour to the aquarium and around the island. I'm not one for snorkeling or beaches either as we have some of the most beautiful around here and I don't even like to go to them.

I didn't do the ship's walking tour of St. Thomas, but used the walking tour I found in one of the standard guidebooks (can't recall which one, but it hardly matters as I'd guess they're all pretty similar). I enjoyed just wandering around on my own, it's a pretty small place and easy to navigate so I wouldn't think it necessary to spend the money on the ship's excursion there.

Sorry, but I rarely get answers. Sure would appreciate some. Has anyone done the walking tour in St. Thomas or the sub plus coral world; also, how about the seaworld explorer in St. Maarten. Usually these boards answer to beach activities instead. I live in Florida, so water does not interest me. Please help. Thanks.

Forgive those VOLUNTEERS for not responding in the manner you would like...........sheesh!:cool:

If you don't get the answers you like then research some other sites.

I know the threads can sometimes be slower than others with responses, but if you did a search of the thread for anything on those items you will easily find tons, and I do mean tons of hits.

I know that all your questions have been answered before -- try that option.

The best thing to do in St Thomas is called Godfry Tours.

HE gives you a fantastic tour of the island plus shopping time, beach time, Coral World everything. Look him up online. I very highly recomed him.

In the shopping area in St Thomas the vendors are very very pushy. Be careful. Also the taxi drivers are wild. Like being in New York City.

They drive crazy. Hang on tight!

In St Maarten do not I repeat do not do the horseback riding excursion.

It is a big joke. Your time in the water is this. After riding the horse thru the ugliest scrub bushes you walk the horse in the water. Take a photo the go back down a back alley to the stable. A waste of money.

Also the excursion booked with the ship is not good. The bus is huge. You cant hardly see out the little window. Doesnt show you much at all.

Find a private tour it will be much better to see all of the island.

Both St Thomas and St Maarten are islands. They're surrounded by water and beaches making the two kinda hard to avoid. :)

I'm a snorkel nut, so beaches and boats are my thing. Many folks speak well of Godfrey Tours. There are tons of Godfrey refernces on the St Thomas Ports Of Call board.

I did take a land tour of St Maarten you might enjoy. It was named Sea and See. That was six or seven years back, but it, or something similar, is probably still on offer.

Booked through the ship, it’s titled “French Connection Sea & See”. It’s a bus transit around the island interrupted by a shopping stop in Marigot and tour of coral reefs at Grand Case’s Creole rock. Creole Rock is purported to be the best snorkeling area around the island. I saw enough while on the glass bottom boat to suggest that snorkeling would be very marginal here. The bottom is mainly rocks with some coral and common fish such as Sergeant Majors and Wrasses. Lots of huge Uni, however, made my wife’s taste buds tingle. This was aboard the “Seaworld Explorer’, an underwater moving observatory. The tour was a good overview of the island, but the guide went around the island bassackward, stopping in Marigot first. Most of the stores in Marigot follow the French tradition of closing between one and two o’clock which is when we were there, resulting in a forty-minute stop browsing the flea market.

Hi There,

St Thomas is nice but St John is better more to see in a smaller area.

But what about an alternative sight seeing tour in St Maarten go to the nudist beech instead.

yours Shogun

I know the threads can sometimes be slower than others with responses, but if you did a search of the thread for anything on those items you will easily find tons, and I do mean tons of hits.

I know that all your questions have been answered before -- try that option.

The problem is that search has been functioning sporadically for some time now, and if you try to do a search with more than one word it often crashes. Very frustrating. :mad:

The problem is that search has been functioning sporadically for some time now, and if you try to do a search with more than one word it often crashes. Very frustrating. :mad:

I have found that using "Search this Forum" and not the Search on top of the page works for me. The OP asked about Coral World so I put those two words in and all sorts of items came up. Also there is a Annoucement by Larua on top of page 1 that explains that. Maybe the OP needs to try that.

Marilyn

Sorry, but I rarely get answers. Sure would appreciate some. Has anyone done the walking tour in St. Thomas or the sub plus coral world; also, how about the seaworld explorer in St. Maarten. Usually these boards answer to beach activities instead.

Breathe, breathe, breathe...

It may help to take some time reading through the current titles within the particular port of call board...Yes, sometimes the search engine doesn't work...Sometimes it does and if you don't type in the "right" word, you'll get hits that don't necessarily relate to what you are really looking for....At any rate, like someone else said - this is a volunteer atmosphere...Heck, you'll get positive and negative feedback but at the end of the day, you have to make a decision to even participate :)

That being said, what works for me after I perform a search (regardless of if I get any hits) is actually going through the first few pages to see what other threads have already been open and then you can see right away if any replies have been garnered...

Also, contrary to belief - some folk will actually put up a review on the web either from a personal page, etc. Google is a very good search engine!

Here are a few hits when I looked up "review of St. Thomas walking tour" as well as "St. Maarten Sea World Explorer" -

http://www.xtourist.com/Walking_tour_on_Charlotte_Amalie_on_St_Thomas_t3498.html

http://www.igougo.com/attractions-reviews-b337848-St._MaartenSt._Martin-Sea_World_Explorer.html

Research is what you make of it....Hope you enjoy your cruise!

Shelly

P.S. Hopefully you will consider writing a review of whatever excursions you choose so that someone else down the road will be able to read your thoughts if in the future, life does not allow you to be on the internet as often as you once were....

I can relate. I posted a query on the Ports of Call board back on June 10....253 views and only ONE response - and that was ME asking AGAIN for some input.

I then did a search for the info I was seeking and came up with 8 hits....nothing pertaining to the info I wanted......oh well.......

Sorry, but I rarely get answers. Sure would appreciate some.

I live in Boca. How was the aquarium?

It's called Coral World and it has some interesting things to see but it doesn't take very long. We had more time just standing around waiting for everyone on the tour to get back to the vehicle. Every other time we've been to St. Thomas we just walk around, look at the shops and get back on board to enjoy the empty ship. My sister lives near Boca and I have family down near Fort Lauderdale. I wish we were closer to a port to hop on a ship more often. Too far to drive when you are still working and vacation time is limited.

Archived