Dress Question

Ladies,

I have the option to buy a beautiful dress from a bridal shop here in the area. The colour is a pale peach or blush. I think it is intended to be a dress for a second (or third) wedding, since it's not white. It's heavily discounted, and the fabric and cut are beautiful. It might need a few alterations, but nothing major.

I have three white tie balls coming up before the year is over, and could use a new ball gown. Does it look too much like a bridal gown? I would probably have the train shortened...

Thank you.

dress.jpg.bcf81269d1c1ce0719dff64f92f87301.jpg

That's a beautiful gown, but the 'style' in wedding gowns over the last few years is not to wear white (pink, ivory, even shades of yellow and blue - very popular!), so I'd definitely not say that's for a 2nd + wedding.

But, if you think you could pull it off at a white tie event, I say go for it! It's very beautiful. If you got rid of the train entirely, it would look a lot less like a bridal gown.

Good luck to you!! I can never pass up a bargain on a gown!

- Jill

I only mentioned the second plus wedding part, because the lady who owns the store said that she put it in the section for second weddings. I think she is very traditional, and almost all of her gowns are either white, off white or ivory.

Yes, I probably need to have the train shortened quite a bit, perhaps just keep the dress a bit longer in the back. Of course, I also will not wear a veil and a bouquet, which should help.

I too was wondering what the bodice looks like--if it's a mostly plain corset style (which is what I'm seeing in the photo) and you shorten the hem/remove the train, I think it would work for your white tie events. With embellishments, though, could be iffy....

Do you have a picture of the front?

And are there any extra embellishment - such as beads or pearls on the front?

If it's more plain, then that's already a step in the right direction for you.

Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of the front. The bodice is very plain, except for a bit of floral lace that is easy to remove. No pearls, beads, etc. at all. The neckline is square and the dress has a basque waist.

Since White Tie affairs are the the epitome of formal and ball gowns are the expected dress I think this dress after the train is removed will be perfect. Aren't women at some white tie events expected to wear white?

Are you going to wear long gloves?

Make sure you understand what the cost of alterations will be before you make the purchase. It may not be the savings you think it is after adding in the alteration cost.

I know that 20+ years ago I ended up wearing a heel 2 inches higher than I wanted to in my wedding gown. The cost of hemming the dress 1 and 1/2 inches was over $150 :eek: . Added to the cost of altering the bodice and adjusting the shoulders, I would have spent over $250 if I had the dress hemmed.

Hopefully, your alterations won't run into the hundreds of $$. You might find a better deal on a dress that is intended to be an evening gown rather than a wedding gown, even if the dress is a little more costly to purchase with no alterations.

I think it looks too much like a wedding gown. Even if you cut off all the train, it would still look very much like a wedding gown because it is fuller in the back to allow for the sweep of the train.

I bought it! It was only $120 with tax and the fabric is a beautiful raw silk. The colour is quite a bit darker than in the picture and my seamstress said hemming the train and removing the lace from the bodice won't be more than $75.

I think it looks too much like a wedding gown. Even if you cut off all the train, it would still look very much like a wedding gown because it is fuller in the back to allow for the sweep of the train.

It's really not that full in the back. I have two other ball gowns, clearly never meant as wedding dresses, that have an equal amount of fabric in the back. One of them (it's a dark brown silk dress) even has a bit of a train. It looks lovely for the Viennese waltz:).

Well I will tell you right up front that I am quite envious that you will be attending 3 white tie functions... Would love to hear more about them.

You know better than anyone here the style of gown that is worn at these functions and I am glad to see you made the purchase and are happy with it. For me I could not do a V waltz in a gown past my ankles, my husbands stride is much to long. I am guessing though you are going to be breath taking in this gown.... Sure would love to see a picture of you in it.

I think you got a deal and it will be beautiful. Since you are going to white tie it will not look out of place. I think that it will look right in place because it is not white and it is basically a ball gown once you remove the train. Will their be Debutantes at the white tie events? Often they wear white and others wear colors. So again I think you are fine. Enjoy your dress.

Well I will tell you right up front that I am quite envious that you will be attending 3 white tie functions... Would love to hear more about them.

You know better than anyone here the style of gown that is worn at these functions and I am glad to see you made the purchase and are happy with it. For me I could not do a V waltz in a gown past my ankles, my husbands stride is much to long. I am guessing though you are going to be breath taking in this gown.... Sure would love to see a picture of you in it.

Hi Smoothdancer,

We currently live in Washington, DC and will be attending a masquerade ball in October (white or black tie), a white tie ball at private club, a white tie Christmas ball at a private club in early December, and a white tie New Year's ball (although it's on 3 January) at a friend's house in the UK.

My husband is tall, so he takes big strides, too, but we are not competition dancers. We solely dance for fun, therefore, form and technique are not all that important. I assume we don't bend our knees as much, which would cause the dress to really touch the floor.

I will try to post some pictures. My husband is terrible at taking pictures. I also haven't decided yet, where I will wear the dress. I might bring it for the ball back home...

I think that with the train removed this dress will look great at white tie events. It reminds me of what you see in pictures of the Vienna Opera Ball.

The other thing to consider is whether or not the events you are going to include debutantes, who will be wearing similar dresses in white - you don't want to have people wondering if you're a deb but confused because you are obviously older than 18.

No, only one of the balls will have an opening cotillion with ladies dressed in white. The age range for them is 17-25. I look young, but I will be dressed in red for that one - it's a Christmas ball, so there is no risk of being mistaken for a member of the cotillion.

The Vienna Opera Ball is beautiful! If you ever have the opportunity, please go. It's crowded and expensive, but a memorable experience.

I'm not an expert on black tie events, so I can't say for sure if it is appropriate or now. I do think it is beautiful and elegant.

One thing I wanted to add is that I was married last year, and it was my second marriage. Colors are in for all brides in light shades such as ivory, blush and champagne. Many younger brides prefer little if any embellishment. Of course, that can vary greatly from person to person, but many brides like very simple straight dresses with absolutely no lace, beading, ruffle or even the slightest gather.

It seems that wedding gowns today come in many styles, but they are not wedding only styles, if you know what I mean.

Do what works for you!

Whoops call me a rebel, but I disagree, I don't think that dress is appropriate.

Is it a black and white or strictly white?

Choose a different style, maybe silk or chiffon, floor length, something that sweeps across the dance floor when the orchestra starts up.

Is it a black and white or strictly white?

Choose a different style, maybe silk or chiffon, floor length, something that sweeps across the dance floor when the orchestra starts up.

I am not quite sure what you mean with black and white. I am not going to a black and white ball, but several white tie events. The only ones in black and white will be the gentlemen. The ball in the UK is strictly white tie, and all the ladies will wear gloves and tiaras. I have talked to the hostess, and she assured me that the dress is absolutely appropriate as virtually everyone will wear ball gowns. As a matter of fact, the hostess loves vintage gowns. She has a nice collection of C. F. Worth designs, and she will undoubtedly wear one. They generally have long trains, heavy beading and are made of luscious silk fabrics:

http://www.vintagetextile.com/images/Graphics/Worth1888.jpg

http://www.heavenofgowns.com/shop/20074.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Worth_Dress_view_2.jpg

While I think they are beautiful, it's a bit too much for me. However, I don't think I'll have that train shortened just yet. Perhaps I will even add a sash with silk flowers... as I believe the ball back home will be rather Edwardian.

Archived