Cruising with a toddler

MOTHEROFONE

We are going on a cruise with our 28 month daughter. I have a few concerns if anyone could ease my mind i would appreciate it. First i am worried that she will get bored and she will not be old enough for the camps.Has anyone ran into that problem or anyone have suggestions. I also wanted to see if anyone has used the babysitting for their child on RCCL Freedom of the Seas. I know that some of these questions are stupid. But if anyone could help me with any info i would be thankful.

We are going on a cruise with our 28 month daughter. I have a few concerns if anyone could ease my mind i would appreciate it. First i am worried that she will get bored and she will not be old enough for the camps.Has anyone ran into that problem or anyone have suggestions. I also wanted to see if anyone has used the babysitting for their child on RCCL Freedom of the Seas. I know that some of these questions are stupid. But if anyone could help me with any info i would be thankful.

We brought our daughter at 22 months on our RCCL cruise. They have a program called aquatots that was nice. You have to stay with them, but they have a theme for the day and play with specific toys. Its in conjunction with Fisher Price. That was a nice little diversion everyday and you get to meet other parents with kids that age. We enjoyed our cruise and we think she did too. The rest of the time we just played in the room, went on walks, went swimming. We kept her on schedule with naps and she really enjoyed dressing for dinner every night. Bring your books, DVDs, puzzles, and other flat toys that are easy to pack. Look in the RCCL section of the boards and the family cruises section. You will find other tips there.

A 28 month old will NOT remember any of this---and unless she's totally potty-trained, she won't be able to use the pools. The kid's club only takes potty-trained children, also!

If you want a babysitter, book ASAP! The service is not guaranteed to be available!

I doubt she will get "bored"--she's too young for that!

If you're happy, your child will be happy---that's how it is with little ones!

A 28 month old will NOT remember any of this--

So many people make this type of comment whenever someone asks a question about cruising with young children and it always mystifies me. Of course they won't remember it anymore then they'll remember Christmas, Easter or birthdays at that age. Does that mean you shouldn't celebrate? The point is that families want to be together and even if a toddler doesn't remember it doesn't mean he or she won't enjoy the moment. And parents will remember and cherish those moments. I love all the memories of special occasions, vacations and family celebrations that I shared with my children at that age. And while they may not remember I can still share my memories, photos and videos with them.

Your questions aren't at all stupid. You will find lots of good advice is available for cruisers with young children on the Family Board. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Your questions aren't at all stupid. You will find lots of good advice is available for cruisers with young children on the Family Board. Here is the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

thanks you all for your replies. I know that she won't remember it but it's a family cruise and the rest of us will have the memories and we will be able to talk to her about it one day and show her pics and vidoes. She is totally potty trained. I made sure of that cause i was aware of the cruise lines rules on the pools. So she will be able to enjoy the pools. Thanks again. Any suggestions on kid friendly excursions in Jamaica, Grand Cayman or Cozumel. ?

A 28 month old will NOT remember any of this---and unless she's totally potty-trained, she won't be able to use the pools. The kid's club only takes potty-trained children, also!

If you want a babysitter, book ASAP! The service is not guaranteed to be available!

I doubt she will get "bored"--she's too young for that!

If you're happy, your child will be happy---that's how it is with little ones!

I agree with most of what you said but my 3 year old, 22 months at the time, stll remembers the names of our restaurant staff! Maybe its b/c of the pictures, the music from the cruise that she still listens to....

Any suggestions on kid friendly excursions in Jamaica, Grand Cayman or Cozumel. ?

Turtle farm in Grand Cayman...we also did a submarine like tour at stingray city. It was like a stationary boat with an underwater chamber with windows. A diver would go in and feed the stingrays and bring them close so you can see them. Its a way to see stingray city without getting in the water. In Cozumel, we rented a car right at the port, strapped in her carseat and went to the right. Going left takes you to the shopping, the right takes you to these beautiful beaches that are breathtaking and you have them almost to yourself. There are no hotels or condos, its just nature at its best. They have little road side bars where you can get drinks and loungers/umbrellas. Its a great inexpensive way to enjoy the beach away from the crowds. We stayed out there maybe a couple of hours. The road circles back around through the city. We are usually not adventerous people and esp not with a baby, but it was really easy to do. The Aquatots teacher was actually the one who told us how to do this.

In St. Thomas, I'd suggest taking a cab to Coral Worl--there are touch tanks, and the divers feed the fish in the aquarium tanks. We spent several hours there, ate at their (pretty good) snack bag, stored our clothing and valuables in the lockers, and walked next door to Coki Beach.

Kids find the best things that interest them. My GS was fascinated with stairs that he could see through. Must have spent an hour gazing through them. They love new things and that pretty much covers the entire ship. Glass elevators, new people, bright things. You'll be fine.

As for remembering, my GS turned 3 the first day of our last cruise. That was 5 months ago. Puffing Billy, I've been there! That's in Australia! Today he wanted to go out for breakfast. You know, on the ship.... buffet, deck 16. They might not remember all the details but they remember some. First thing he did when we entered our cabin, went to the coffee table to get his welcome aboard cookie.

Kids find the best things that interest them. My GS was fascinated with stairs that he could see through. Must have spent an hour gazing through them. They love new things and that pretty much covers the entire ship. Glass elevators, new people, bright things. You'll be fine.

As for remembering, my GS turned 3 the first day of our last cruise. That was 5 months ago. Puffing Billy, I've been there! That's in Australia! Today he wanted to go out for breakfast. You know, on the ship.... buffet, deck 16. They might not remember all the details but they remember some. First thing he did when we entered our cabin, went to the coffee table to get his welcome aboard cookie.

Thanks for the info on the excursions. I will look into them.

I agree with previous poster about the memories that you create as a family will be cherished forever. I think that your child will enjoy many things but most of all, just being there with family, in a new and exciting place, will be the most fun.

Yes, they will find pleasure in the simplest things and that will makeyou smile too. You will be on vacation and relaxed and that will carry over into her attitude and feelings.

WIth that being said, she is 2 yrs old so a lot of the ships programs will allow her to enter. I thought the minimum age was 2 on most of them. In any case, even if she is not allowed in the kids clubs, she will still have fun and delight in being with family.

People told me not to take my son to Disney at 3 because he wouldnt remember..He is 4 now, will be 5 in 7 months and still remembers quite vividly, plus we video taped everything and he watches it regularly.

Check the family board, I spend time on there too because this is our first cruise with our son who is 4. My daughter who is 16 did not get a lot of the traveling because we didnt do as much traveling but my son has traveled so much.

Good luck to you and enjoy!!

Angela

I think at 28 months your child will remember a ton. Will your child remember this cruise at 18? Maybe not but she will remember it for at least several years. So have a great time! Whatever you can do to make it special for her, wildlife viewing, or whatever your itinerary offers that your child will enjoy. If she is not potty trained, no time like the present. Being able to use the kids club is a good incentive for all of you. Mine potty trained about that age and life is so much better without diapers! I honestly believe the sooner you potty train the easier it is, when you wait you sometims hit that stubborn toddler period and it isn't pretty.

You'll have a great cruise with your toddler!

I think at 28 months your child will remember a ton. Will your child remember this cruise at 18? Maybe not but she will remember it for at least several years. So have a great time! Whatever you can do to make it special for her, wildlife viewing, or whatever your itinerary offers that your child will enjoy. If she is not potty trained, no time like the present. Being able to use the kids club is a good incentive for all of you. Mine potty trained about that age and life is so much better without diapers! I honestly believe the sooner you potty train the easier it is, when you wait you sometims hit that stubborn toddler period and it isn't pretty.

You'll have a great cruise with your toddler!

thanks everyone.... She is potty trained and it is so much easier. I know that we will enjoy our vacation and will have tons of memories.

Our son was a few months shy of being 3 on our cruise and he still remembers things from it. He is not looking at pictures or videos or anything like that but still remembers things from the cruise and especially the name of the ship.

Of course he is my son so he is extraordinarily intelligent...ha ha ha

In Cozumel, try going to Paradise Beach. It's kid friendly and while she'd probably be too young for the water toys, she may love splashing around in the sand.

Also, check out the independent stingray city excursions in Grand Cayman. She may be free on them and if she doesn't want to go in the water, the parents can always trade off.

• 5 weeks later...

have just returned from trip on the independence with our 26 mth old and she loved it, we too made sure she was toilet trained before we went on and were so glad she was. She loved all of the shows especially the ice shows and was really good through the evning meals, think the portable dvd player helped so would definately recommend you take one if you have one as it was our lifesaver.

So many people make this type of comment whenever someone asks a question about cruising with young children and it always mystifies me. Of course they won't remember it anymore then they'll remember Christmas, Easter or birthdays at that age. Does that mean you shouldn't celebrate? The point is that families want to be together and even if a toddler doesn't remember it doesn't mean he or she won't enjoy the moment. And parents will remember and cherish those moments. I love all the memories of special occasions, vacations and family celebrations that I shared with my children at that age. And while they may not remember I can still share my memories, photos and videos with them.

I so agree with you. My hubby was hesitant to take our girl on a cruise, but we decided to try her out with a short cruise that we've already done and it was great. She was 23 months so one month too young for Camp Carnival, so she was with us the whole time, and still potty training (but Carnival had a pool for the toddlers, which we tried keeping upright in, not fully in). We all had a ball, especially watching her check out the various areas of the ship.

She was 3 on the next cruise, and she loved Camp Carnival, the flight (her first one), even enjoyed the ship action (she definitely got her dad's genes for not getting seasick).

It just takes a lot of planning (bring whatever you will need for your toddler as you can't depend on the ship's store to stock the right size of diaper, pullups, etc.). Also bring toys (be sure to label with your cabin number on it, I found key tags very handy for dolls), coloring books, etc.

Archived