Help with First Tuxedo Purchase.

canadagal

My husband has decided that he wants to wear a tuxedo for formal night on our next cruise. Looking for advice on what's the difference in color, if any and what would be more appropriate. I see so many different kinds and colors. Is white, 2 button notch lapels, single breasted jacket with double pleated satin striped black trousers and bow tie okay or would the same thing in all black be better? Would black jacket and black pants rather then the two tone combo be better? I doubt he will ever wear this anywhere else other then when we cruise. Neither he nor I have a clue so I thought I'd ask all the wise gentlemen on CC. I'm just thrilled that he wants to buy one and wear it. So help us out please and thanks!

Pat

Since you're buying, I'd go with a basic black tux--he'll get alot more use out of that, than with a "color combo". You can always change the look by not wearing the vest, or getting a vest(or cumberbund) and tie in a different color at a later date!)

have him try on several different styles--that's the only way to see what will LOOK best on him! (What looks great on a 20 yr. old may not look the same on a 40 yr. old! and vice versa!)

Hey Pat!

I definitely agree with the others that black will be far more versatile in the long run. It's also the kind of thing, that once he "owns" a tuxedo, you will find other occasions once in a while to wear it on land.

That being said...

I would recommend a notch lapel, two button, single breasted.

No pleats on the pants. (Pleats are so 80s :()

That will be the most versatile, and longest lasting (style-wise).:cool:

Make sure that the shoulders fit and are comfortable to move in, that is the biggest mistake I find people make.

Everything else is easy to tailor or adjust if need be, but the shoulders are the A#1 thing that must fit first and correctly on any type of men's suit.

And for those who are concerned (you know who you are;))...

This post is a perfect example and a perfect case to recommend this website:

http://www.blacktieguide.com

It will give you the general things to look for when purchasing a basic, classic, black tuxedo.

:D

Hey Pat!

I definitely agree with the others that black will be far more versatile in the long run. It's also the kind of thing, that once he "owns" a tuxedo, you will find other occasions once in a while to wear it on land.

That being said...

I would recommend a notch lapel, two button, single breasted.

No pleats on the pants. (Pleats are so 80s :()

That will be the most versatile, and longest lasting (style-wise).:cool:

Make sure that the shoulders fit and are comfortable to move in, that is the biggest mistake I find people make.

Everything else is easy to tailor or adjust if need be, but the shoulders are the A#1 thing that must fit first and correctly on any type of men's suit.

And for those who are concerned (you know who you are;))...

This post is a perfect example and a perfect case to recommend this website:

www.blacktieguide.com

It will give you the general things to look for when purchasing a basic, classic, black tuxedo.

:D

Thanks for your good advice. :)

My DH has NO IDEA how to judge what fits or looks right on him (I've forbade him to shop for clothes without me being present).

My pet peeve is seeing guys wear suits and sport coats with oversized shoulders,(I've notice sportscasters seem to do this a lot - I know someone pays a great deal for their on-screen wardrobes - doesn't anybody give fit advice?)

I noticed on the ESPY's the other night that J.T. wore a white dinner jacket. I wonder how this will affect the popularity of this type of evening wear. He did look quite handsome; a refreshing change from the "sloppy" we have been seing on such occasions.

A couple of things...

Click here for my general guide on buying suits (and that also means tuxedo jackets) that fit well:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=409661

#1 Just be aware on The Black Tie guide. It is absolutely perfect for total classic and a first tuxedo purchase. Really well researched.:)

When you are a novice, I think it's a perfect starting place.

Just don't use it as an end all and be all, once it moves to modern times.

That's more one person's opinion.;)

#2 Sportscasters - two things happen here. First of all, they are all usually ex-athletes, so some are naturally bigger in the shoulders.

The other factor is that the ones that aren't (who then have the shoulders way too big for them), they are trying to match the athletes.

They are around and interviewing athletic men all the time, and on camera with them, they would look like dwarves next to some.

So they try to make up for it with the illusion of the bigger suit shoulders.

#3 Justin Timberlake is actually one of my favorite celebrity dressers recently. He (or his stylist) has favored well tailored suits (with a rock edge) for a few years now.

I'm also becoming a huge fan of The Jonas Brother's stylist!

And, as I've reported in other threads, the celebrities (musicians, actors, etc.) that young people like, definitely affects their style and current young person fashion.

There is becoming an underground resurgence of young people wearing ties as casual wear as a result of this.:D

PS (Attached is a pic of several guys including Justin, actor Adam Brody, and singer Blake Lewis in great tailored gray suits).

YoungSuitsGreyLabel.jpg.333265690074dc7300bc685a14d59a4e.jpg

. . .

Sportscasters - (who then have the shoulders way too big for them), they are trying to match the athletes.

They are around and interviewing athletic men all the time, and on camera with them, they would look like dwarves next to some.

So they try to make up for it with the illusion of the bigger suit shoulders.

This is exactly what I was referring to - It's obvious the suits don't fit - Who are they fooling?

Thank-you everyone for your help. I loved the Black Tie Guide. It even has places to shop at.

Pat

I'm glad you liked it! If you need Toronto shopping info you can contact me via the link at the bottom of any page on the site.

I would recommend you buy a black tuxedo as it is far more versatile. Your husband can always rent a white dinner jacket from time to time just to shake things up!

Please don't totally discount pleated pants. It's my experience (and I sell men's clothing for Jos. A. Bank) that pleated pants will often work better for many men, especially men who work out. The build-up of muscle in thighs and hips often creates the dreaded "pocket bulge" with flat-front pants. Frequently, a change to pleated front pants allows for the additional room in hip and thigh that eliminates the "pocket bulge", yet allows the pleats to lay very flat.

Proper fitting is critical. Don't settle for anything that does not fit and isn't comfortable. Make sure you look in a 3-way mirror so you can see yourself front and back. Bring someone with you who will look at the fit objectively. Have the tux altered by a good tailor. And then, check again to make sure it fits and that it's comfortable.

Unless you are a frequent cruiser, you're better off saving the money and not buying a tux. Wear a dark suit or rent a tux onboard. Not that many men wear tuxedos and it's pretty silly - just another way for the ship to make money off of you.

This seems like such a "no brainer" to me that I don't know why we didn't do it before. We had to attend a wedding anniversary party while on board the Dawn Princess. My husband does not own a tuxedo so we decided to rent one. For $85 it came with everything he needed right down to the cuff links and button studs. It was waiting for us in our cabin upon arrival. When the shirt didn't fit, they brought another one right away.

It was the perfect way to have formal clothes without having to take them with us. We won't ever do it any other way. He doesn't need a tuxedo in our everday life so why have one moldering away in the closet between cruises.

Archived