Train from Milan to Venice

I am using FF miles for my flights on my cruise. It is a 12 night med cruise embarking in Venice and disembarking in Rome. American does not fly into Venice. In order to make the most of my miles I need to stay on American. They DO fly into Milan. I plan on arriving a few days in advance of my cruise.

My question is: has anyone used the train to get from Milan to Venice? If you have, do you have any tips on doing this? How far in advance do we need to book the train? Is there a level of service we need to book to ensure seating? (There will be two of us).

Anyone done Rome to Milan? I think I will fly out of Rome (American does fly in and out of Rome) but if the train is convenient and interesting, it might be fun to train it back to Milan and return from there. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

J

We did Milan--Venice in May--actually it was Nice-Milan and then we changed trains in Milan to go to Venice. We booked about two weeks ahead-just before we left home . We booked first class and were in a compartment with 6 seats. Luggage goes overhead or in the hallway. You get an assigned seat/compartment with your reservation--there were people sitting in our seats but they moved when we indicated that these were our seats. It was a very pleasant journey.

The only problem with Milan is getting from the airport to main train station. There is train service from the airport (well, you have to take a shuttle bus to the train) but it does not go the main train station. You have to go between the stations on your own (with lots of luggage, a taxi is best).

Flying into and out of Rome is considerably easier. FCO->termini on train, then change trains to Venice.. reverse coming back. No shuttle, no changing stations.

The ride between Milan and Rome on the high speed train is boring. Taking local trains could give you some interesting sites, but it would be slow with several changes.

Paul

Last year we went Zurich - Milan - Florence (changed in Milan). The original train went on to Venice as we were sitting with a couple who were going on. We went first class and had booked the seats through an agency in Australia so had the tickets before we went (but only because we only had one night in Zurich so would not have been able to get the tickets). In Florence the hotel helped us book tickets to Rome - a couple of days before we went. There are plenty of seats, if you don't get booked before you leave US do it in Milan when you arrive (or ask the hotel to help you do it on line for you).

A tip - we ask for one facing, one back, both window seats - that way you both get a window seat and often with 2 only (we missed out on this train). The train was the main inter country one - sorry forget the name - if you look up Zurich to Milan on Google it will show up, even though you are going to Venice.

The only problem with Milan is getting from the airport to main train station. There is train service from the airport (well, you have to take a shuttle bus to the train) but it does not go the main train station. You have to go between the stations on your own (with lots of luggage, a taxi is best).

Two companies run direct coach service from Milan Malpensa Airport to Milan Central Station where the train starts.

Around exit 6 you'll find the ticket counters of both carriers. Just check who is the next. Do not take the train to Milan.

MXPTicketschalter-vi.jpg

MXPAusgang-vi.jpg

Flying into and out of Rome is considerably easier. FCO->termini on train, then change trains to Venice.. reverse coming back. No shuttle, no changing stations.

The ride between Milan and Rome on the high speed train is boring. Taking local trains could give you some interesting sites, but it would be slow with several changes.

Paul

You can easily get directly to the main Milan train station from the airport by using the bus. There is a special shuttle bus (I believe its about 4 or 5 Euros) or a slower local bus (less than 2 Euros). This saves the hassle of changing train stations and dragging luggage.

Hank

we are doing the reverse, training from Florence to Milan and flying out the next AM. We are staying at the Hilton Milan, near the train station. Does anyone recommend the train vs. bus to airport? Where would we catch either? I think bus is right by train station, correct? Would I have rush hour traffic issues getting to airport? We have 10AM flight in Sept on a Friday, so want to be at airport by 8 AM. If I take 7 AM bus, am I safe? thanks, Elaine

Two companies run direct coach service from Milan Malpensa Airport to Milan Central Station where the train starts.

Around exit 6 you'll find the ticket counters of both carriers. Just check who is the next. Do not take the train to Milan.

MXPTicketschalter-vi.jpg

MXPAusgang-vi.jpg

Thank you for the correction/addition.

Paul

Thanks to all for the information! I had not thought about flying into Rome and taking the train to Venice from there, but that might be brilliant. If not, the tip about the bus to the main train station is perfect.

You guys are great!

Archived