Please Help ! NCL or Carnival....

There are many of you who have cruised alot and have tried many different lines..... this is for you. :)

We are trying to decide as first time cruisers... whether to cruise with Norwegian or Carnival. Rates are very similar...as are itineraries.

Here is our background... two families of 4. My family has Hubby and I (40's ) and our 17 year old son and 9 year old daughter. Friends family is her and hubby (also 40's) their 21 year old son and their 7 year old son.

Please tell us your preferance.... why you would choose one over the other. Thanks in advance and hoping to have a countdown clock soon !!

Jennifer:D

First of all...we just want to "get away" from Life and the cold Ohio winters...LOL. Looking forward to relaxing and sun ! Girls are interested in shopping and sunning... Guys are looking forward to a bit of snorking. All of us like to eat. Not our first priority but it is important.

Secondly...these ships are going to the Western Caribbean and that is good for us. We are looking at Feb 09.

I guess this is why I am asking this question....they are both going to the same places ..give or take a stop.... and they are very similar in price..with Carnival beating them slightly.

Jennifer

I've never sailed Carnival, only NCL, so I'm biased :o . We prefer NCL's freestyle aspect (not sure if Carnival offers anything similiar).

With NCL, you can eat when and where you want. No set dining times or table mates. Like land based eateries, you decide when/where you want to eat and go. We have never had to wait for more than 5 minutes to get a table (various number of diners - from 2 to 6). But do understand that it is possible, depending upon time and number in party, that you may need to wait to be seated.

There are no formal nights on NCL, they are optional. If you choose to dress up, you can, if not, wear the standard resort casual. Everyone is welcome to eat in the dining room...as long as you meet the minimum dress code. Thus, you could be sitting next to a table where they are in tuxes and gowns and you can have on dockers and polos.

Also, NCL has freestyle disembarkation. You get to decide, from choices offered, what time you want to leave the ship on the final day. Until your time arrives, you can stay in your cabin if you'd like, have a nice breakfast, etc. No waiting in public areas (unless you want to) until you time is called.

My husband and I prefer Carnival...as my DH puts it "tell him when and where to eat" and he'll show up. We actually like having the same dinner mates every night, lots of talking and laughing with them. And the wait staff know your preferences...like I enjoy a double expresso with dessert every night.

We have tried NCL, and do not want to deal with the hassle of waiting in line to get a table (get enough of that at home). Different wait staff every time, no special treatment. And a lot of the different venues now charge a fee to eat there.

my $.02.

Whichever you choose, you will have a good time, with a good attitude!

While Carnival does not offer free style options.... the kid and teen options on Carnival are only surpassed by Disney. And...that is what I think from sailing some and reading about others.

BUT...which ever you choose... have a great voyage and enjoy yourselves.

If you are looking at NCL vs. Carnival...either way you will still enjoy the cruise...and the kids too....

Happy sailing!!!! :D

I've been on both and I would choose Carnival - they do offer an excellent children's program. Carnival does have 2 formal nights but they've made these optional as well - we like to dress up (it's only for 2 nights) - how often do you get to anyway right? NCL to me is just OK - I don't care for freestyle cruising - I like eating with the same people everynight as well because you get to know them and the waiters get to know you as well as someone else mentioned on here. I think NCL is good but I would choose Carnival - their rooms are larger than NCL's too.

Hello,

Do not limit yourself to choosing between Carnival and NCL when there are two other cruise lines which are competitively priced, have excellent childrens/teen programs, and have very interesting itineraries. The two cruise lines are RCCL and Princess.

I am not implying that Carnival and NCl are poor choices, only that RCCL and Princess ships have much to offer for families such as yours. HAL and Celebrity are also excellent cruise lines.

Hope that this helps,

Fred

I want to thank those of you who have replied so far and hopefully more will offer up their opinions as well.

I am ready to make a choice because I am getting burnt out on research. I need a vacation from planning my vacation ;)

I have learned that I will have a great time as long as I go in with that as my attitude...so thanks for that.

I will make time to look at RCL and Princess.... then make my decision.

So far we have narrowed it down to two : Carnival Glory and Norwegian Dawn. I will let you know if we throw the other two lines into the mix.

Again, thanks and keep adding input if you please !

Jennifer

Hi! We were on the Glory in February and are heading out on the Dawn tomorrow. I definitely like the Canival style better. On the last Norwegian we took our daughters (17 and 20 at the time) felt there wasn't a whole lot for their age group to do. Carnival has something for everyone. There are also little things that Carnival does like having condiments on the table on the pool deck and it seems to have more attentive staff. I love getting to know my waiters and to hear about the country they are from and having them get to know my personal tastes as well as getting to know some other people we sit with. The Dawn just worked better for us for this vacation and no matter what ship you go on you'll have a blast!

We've never been on Glory, but have been on Legend, Liberty and Miracle (twice). We were also on Norwegian Dawn. For children's programs Carnival is better, but we did enjoy freestyle dining on the Dawn. We never waited in any of their restaurants and the dining room was awesome. Yes, some had a fee, but not much. Next up: Independence of the Seas in Dec. We love them all.

Sailed on Glory in May and Miracle (Legend's sister ship) in December. Loved both.

Preferred the Spirit-class ship (Miracle) in most aspects, but there were things about the Glory I really liked (mostly the Fish & Chips for lunch!).

DD was 15 when we started sailing, but never really did any of the "kids" activities, as it is just the two of us. She tends to like to sit and read and relax, as do I, so we mostly just do everything together (except I can still out-party her in the evenings!).

Glory is a bit too large for my tastes, and the main Lido pool area has a horrible (imho) layout (stadium-type seating so very little area around the actual pool). But we don't hang around the pool much anyway.

Spirit-class is very well laid-out design. People seem to love the Legend. I had originally intended to book Legend for our Western, but ended up on Glory for a reason I don't really remember!

Ha! Those winters in Columbus are nothing compared to what I used to suffer through on the east side of Cleveland in the snow belt!

Whatever choice you make, I bet you'll have a wonderful time!

I think you're OK with either one. My preference leans toward NCL due to their freestyle dining.

I would take Carnival or NCL over Princess. RCL is normally a bit pricier.

I totally agree with PP that mentioned to research the ship as that is my personal belief as well. I normally book based on ship, itinerary and price. It really surprises me that the ship itself makes a difference regardless of line.

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed both NCL and Carnival. I wouldn't worry about eating with the same people everynight because you will probably end up with a table with just the people you are traveling with. NCL I feel is more geared towards an older crowd and Carnival has more to do for the kids and teens. Love NCL alternative dinning rooms and anytime eating. Balcony rooms seem larger on Carnival. But......we just came back from a cruise on the Liberty of Seas (RCCL). The boat surpasses any of the other 8 cruise ships I have been on. It was just incredible!!! Alot of people though.

So I am thirteen and my sister is sixteen. i have been on both types of cruises so i can tel you different things. Carnival is much more family oriented and for young kids (not really pre-teens or teens). Their kids camp is okay but on all carnial cruise i have been on i have never gone to their camp every chance i could. NCL service and overall cruise was not as good as Carnival. But me and my sister sent more time with the kids camp on NCL than on any other cruise (and we have been on about 11 cruises including as young kids). NCL gives you fun activies on the boat as well as at your destination. If you want service and a good cruise than go for carnival. but if you want pre- teens and many teens to enjoy than go on NCL. Enjoy what ever cruise you pick!

Archived