For those of you who do: Why do you use your Travel agent?

Why a TA?..........Simple.................OBC...........transfer about a week before final booking..........guess I think I know more than anyone when it comes to my cruise:rolleyes:.....TA I use is a big company that deals in quanity rather than the personal touch. Never have had a problem on a trip so don't know how they would handle it.........but that is why I have insurance.

Sorry to hear some of you have been disappointed with your TA's.

I'm lucky I guess - Mine is great - he listens and I trust his advice - He always gives us perks (extra OBC; champagne at the table or in our cabin; etc). He efficiently handles problems that I do not always have time for.

I guess it is like many professional services (such as using a real estate agent or a contractor) - A good one can be worth their weight in gold, but a poor one can be worse than doing it yourself.

Hi flaggler,

We have used the same TA since moving to Florida 10 years ago. They are are family owner Cruise Only Agency. They are a Key Account and do high volume. For us its the individual service they provide and also known us so well. We have had three sailings that were either altered or canceled. In each case before even calling us with the news our TA had found alternatives within the same weeks sailing with comparable cabin and price and and did courtesy holds for us with a couple of different options. Absolutely invaluable for us. Knowing what we like and what we are waiting for in regards to itineraries is also something he does. He remembers conversations about what we are waiting for in destinations. Example DH and I have wanted to return to Bermuda for several years. He knew that we weren't willing to fly into the Northeast to do this. Well MSC Orchestra as offered a once only sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Bermuda for next April. He got prices based on the accommodations he knows we like and where our cabin preference is. Put on a courtesy hold and called us. We are now sailing in an AFT Veranda for a great price next April. I wasn't even aware of MSC and would never have known if he hadn't been sharp, only focusing on cruises and remembering what we had said and what our preferences are. Scott is amazing and we love him like family. For the small percent he makes on us he goes way beyond the norm in our opinion.

Good luck with your future career and remember its the customer service that you can provide that is what will keep clients coming back again and again.:)

As I read through the posts, it seems that it's all hit or miss. For every success story about one style of booking there's another horror story about the same style.

If you do find a good TA (whether online, b&m, through the cruise line) hang on to them.

While we do all of our own research and most often just place an order there have still been times when problems or questions have arisen. For us, it's great to call our TA and have her take care of business and get back to us.

Charlie

My TA has been one of my closest friends for 40+ years. She got into the business after her kids grew up and left home. I only use her for cruises since I can plan and book land trips on my own. Of course, I could do the cruise booking on my own too, but I figure why let the cruise line keep the commission when she can have it? I usually know which cruise, ship, cabin, etc. that we want so all she does is book it for us. But if any problems crop up, I have her to work things out.

I booked a cruise recently and while the RCL site and one of the BIG online sites only showed certain cabins available, she was able to see more and got us one more midship.

She works for an agency that is part of a large consortium, and they often have group bookings and can offer better prices or perks.

I could be wrong, but aren't the RCI Vacation Planners also on commission?

I could be wrong, but aren't the RCI Vacation Planners also on commission?
No, I believe you are correct. OTOH in her case the TA is a long time friend so, why not?

We are not cruise line loyal. So having one TA means that she is the recepient of all of our business. Kind of like being platinum with the TA:p

Charlie

There are good and bad TA's. I make sure that I check out the TA that I'm going to use. I want to make sure that they not only will take good care of me as a customer, knows their business and that they are also a person that I can trust to do the right thing. Sadly not all TA's are this way.

I like to do all the research to make sure I'm getting exactly what I want at the lowest price possible. I have a lot more available time than I have money!! I book everything myself with the vendor who offers the best price.

Of course, I wouldn't be getting the best deal for myself if I didn't transfer my booking to a TA for the OBC. This TA will also handle any price reductions for me if they come up after the transfer.

We also always use a TA, on our cruise AOS leaving this sunday we have a total of 575.00 of OBC, no way RCCL would offer that, think of all the extra's we can buy with that, and I know some of you say that all TA's offer the same price as the cruiselines, well you are wrong, I have always paid less and received obc, its whatever they are willing to give up on commissions.

I ALWAYS did my travel on my own. I NEVER EVER used a TA. Until last year I was talking to a co-worker and asking him about a cruiseline (he likes to travel too). He suggested I call his sister. I did. And never looked back. She is on top of everything and I just tell her what I want and its done. She watches for all the price drops for me. I can also reach her at home if need be.

DH & I have the best TA, we (well really not just DH & I but our grown kids too) just have to call her and that's it, she gets us the best rates and takes care of everything - believe me if it were allowed I would recommend her in a 'heartbeat'!!

Like many here, I do my own research first. However, I do use a TA when it doesn't cost me (significantly) more than if I book things myself. If someone can make a living for essentially the same price I'm all for it.

That said, for cruises, I sometimes book by myself through the cruise companies (either on-line or on-board) and then transfer to a TA.

I have a TA in FLL that has been my parent's TA for quite some time (they are spending my inheritance on Silver Seas - good for them!) and I've always gotten great service from the TA too even if I don't spend nearly that much.

If I want to pay something in cash rather than burdening my credit cards, then I also have an agency locally from the same network where I can do that. Also, some fares that are residency related can only be booked with a local agent; that happened to my 10/5 AOS cruise where a local offer for a JS was ludicrously low and that my TA in FLL wasn't even able to "see" in her system. This second TA is quite convenient for my monthly weekend getaways to Miami.

Any "extras" that may come from using a TA are always welcomed but never expected.

My simple answer is that my TA is my advocate for anything that goes wrong. Period. As a single consumer, my voice is small among the large cruise/airlines lines. As an RCCL Platinum near Diamond it should not be, but that's another discussion.

However, my TA's voice (she books hundreds of cruises/flights a year) carries a great deal more power. Also her affiliations can bring to bear much more power than just me. But, I do not go into this blindly. I do my research and have several times brought my best found prices to my TA and had her beat them and get OBC. I also buy separate third party travel insurance through my TA as well.

Best of all my TA does not stop shopping for me when I book. She watches the rates and upgrades and calls me on better deals and gives me the best price available.

Finally I guess just dropping by to "check the water" with my TA on their best deals is a lot of fun too. Who said window shiopping was no fun...

For our first two cruises, we used an online cruise agency that gave significant OBC.

We switched over to a local cruises only travel agent - why? We still get OBC, but not as significant as the online agency. So why switch?

Our personal travel agent knows (and loves) cruises. She answers all our cruise questions knowledgeably and objectively. She returns our calls and emails promptly. When we wanted a specific cabin on a specific cruise, she was able to book the cabin for us several hours before RCCL had their bookings open on their website. She has helped us with a lot of minor issues....stuff we could have called RCCL about, but she handled it for us. She noticed a Crown and Anchor coupon for our cruise that we weren't aware of.

And when we wanted to book a round-trip Hawaii cruise with RCCL in 2009, and RCCL wound up not doing those, she helped us find a cruise with another cruiseline that met our needs.

It's the personal service. She answers calls and emails, even on the weekends. She is very knowledgeable about RCCL ships, as well as other cruiselines. She has helped us get through some red tape. She has helped us get the rooms we wanted. She has helped us find other options when our original plans were not going to work. And she loves the aft, just like us. :)

I do wish we were able to get the onboard credit that the online travel agency was able to give us, but I am happy with what we do get from her, and I'm not going to switch anytime soon.

I book direct, manage my reservation and before final pmt. I transfer to my TA for a great perk. If there is anything I do need last minute like linking a reservation or applying a visa certificate he takes care of it immediately but the main reason is the perk.

I use a TA that is affiliated with the Vacation Bowling League that I run. Actually there are 3 TA's there but I use one specifically. I usually do all of the research, but let her see what she can do first then I tell her what I had found or I put a hold on a specific cabin through the cruiseline and transfer it over to my TA. I always book my own air since I usually find it cheaper that way.

Question for those of you that book RCCL direct and then transfer for the OBC. Do you think that saves you money in the long run? Consider this, you don't get something for nothing. The OBC that you get and the remaining commissions that your TA receive obviously cost RCCL money, right? They manage their business to a specific targeted profit margin, right? All of the OBC and all of the those remaining commissions to the TA's because of your transfer (less the incremental cost of in-house cruise planners) goes to increasing the price of your cruise. It just looks like you're making money; you really aren't.

Peter:eek:

Question for those of you that book RCCL direct and then transfer for the OBC. Do you think that saves you money in the long run? Consider this, you don't get something for nothing. The OBC that you get and the remaining commissions that your TA receive obviously cost RCCL money, right? They manage their business to a specific targeted profit margin, right? All of the OBC and all of the those remaining commissions to the TA's because of your transfer (less the incremental cost of in-house cruise planners) goes to increasing the price of your cruise. It just looks like you're making money; you really aren't.

The short answer is YES, I am definitely saving money. I'm determined to get the best deal I can get for myself. It's my money and I'm going to manage it to my own advantage.

Now that RCI doesn't allow their cruises to be discounted, the TA's need some sort of advantage and many of them achieve this by kicking back some of their commission check to the client. RCI has the commissions built into their price base and until or unless RCI decides they are not going to give commissions, this is not going to change. Do you think for a minute RCI would lower the cost of the cruise if they cut out commissions? Not gonna happen, my friend.

If I'm getting OBC of $300 and you're not, YOU are the one that's losing out because you and I are both going to pay exactly the same amount for our cruise (as long as we're in the same category stateroom, have the same discounts and coupons applied like Sr. Citizen, C&A, etc.) but I'm going to have $300 to use towards shore excursions or alternative dining and you're not.

"Get Out There" and get yourself some OBC!!!!

The short answer is YES, I am definitely saving money. I'm determined to get the best deal I can get for myself. It's my money and I'm going to manage it to my own advantage.

Now that RCI doesn't allow their cruises to be discounted, the TA's need some sort of advantage and many of them achieve this by kicking back some of their commission check to the client. RCI has the commissions built into their price base and until or unless RCI decides they are not going to give commissions, this is not going to change. Do you think for a minute RCI would lower the cost of the cruise if they cut out commissions? Not gonna happen, my friend.

If I'm getting OBC of $300 and you're not, YOU are the one that's losing out because you and I are both going to pay exactly the same amount for our cruise (as long as we're in the same category stateroom, have the same discounts and coupons applied like Sr. Citizen, C&A, etc.) but I'm going to have $300 to use towards shore excursions or alternative dining and you're not.

"Get Out There" and get yourself some OBC!!!!

There's no question that you're paying $300 less than me - not my point. RCCL has a target profit margin that could be translated into a profit per cruise. If they have to pay an average commission of $300 per cruise because everyone is using a TA in order to get some OBC, then they have to price your cruise $300 higher than if they had no commission to pay. Simple as that. Yes, you save $300 on a cruise that is overpriced by $300. If they increased the commission to 30% and you could then get $600 in OBC, they would simply jack the price of your cruise up to cover the increase in commissions.

Peter

Because we all know if a company cuts their cost then they pass that savings on to the customer and rarely do they keep it themselves ;)

I think cruise lines should just go direct as well. Forget the distribution system. It's worked pretty well for the airlines. Look what a joy it is to fly. Look at the great customer service. And look at the loyalty to airlines. Yea, that's a working model.

Archived