Moongates

monamia

There is also a moongate at Elbow Beach. We had our picture taken under it on our honeymoon 40 years ago and went back in April and had another picture taken. Alas, the hotel is closed.

Sorry it closed-- the Holiday Inn hotel we went to 30 plus yrs ago in St Georges overlooking Ft Catherine was "imploded"--someone posted pics iof it--sad!

Love all those moongates--How far a walk is it to Somers garden moongate from the main square in St Georges? we will only have a short time in town on a tour but would like a pic of that one...

BTW--is anyone stops in Nassau--there is a nice moongate on the grounds of the British Hilton there...

Sorry it closed-- the Holiday Inn hotel we went to 30 plus yrs ago in St Georges overlooking Ft Catherine was "imploded"--someone posted pics iof it--sad!

Love all those moongates--How far a walk is it to Somers garden moongate from the main square in St Georges? we will only have a short time in town on a tour but would like a pic of that one...

BTW--is anyone stops in Nassau--there is a nice moongate on the grounds of the British Hilton there...

If you REALLY want to cry.....watch this video.

Somers Garden is about a block from the main square. Take a look on this map.

http://www.bermudatourism.com/Downloadable_Map.pdf

So the Holiday Inn became a Club med & then was no more!

Thanks--it's hard for me to judge distance on the map-- we will look for the moongate & grab a snack in the short time we are given by our tour in St Georges!! glad we have been there before b/c there's not enough time to se very much!

Here is a pic in the moongate in the dockyard, that is Heritage Wharf (the newest pier) with the new Bermuda customs building in the background. We were docked on the Kings Wharf pier side...

IMG_1606.jpg

and here is the Moongate sign with it...

IMG_1610.jpg

Must be something to it....17 years and still going happy!!!!

Here is a pic in the moongate in the dockyard, that is Heritage Wharf (the newest pier) with the new Bermuda customs building in the background. We were docked on the Kings Wharf pier side...

IMG_1606.jpg

and here is the Moongate sign with it...

IMG_1610.jpg

Must be something to it....17 years and still going happy!!!!

What a great shot--!! Thanks for posting it.... I wish you many more happy & healthy years!!!

We'll be celebrating yr. # 35 when we sail there in Sept.

The Dockyard moongate makes me mad. No artistry or craftsmanship in it at all, just a ring of cast concrete with the woodgrain pattern of the formwork still visible on its unfinished surface. Shame on the people who constucted such a thing and then called it a moongate. It does make a good landmark though.

The Dockyard moongate makes me mad. No artistry or craftsmanship in it at all, just a ring of cast concrete with the woodgrain pattern of the formwork still visible on its unfinished surface. Shame on the people who constucted such a thing and then called it a moongate. It does make a good landmark though.

I love this one.

IMG_4244.jpg

Do you only get half as much good luck with this one?:D

IMG_4185-1.jpg

I was fascinated by the moongates in Bermuda. Odd how and ancient Chinese tradition made it's way to Bermuda.

This one is at the Elbow Beach resort. There is also a nice one at Palm Grove Gardens, a place I just fell in love with. :)

IMG_2182.jpg

Hope this works--here's the one I want!!!!

I had a REAL hard time deciding between a moongate charm and a Bermuda onion......went with the onion.:D Curious where the picture of the moongate charm is from. Is there a link to where I could buy it?

BTW, I bought my charm and a necklace at E.R. Aubrey.....nice jewelry store.

I had a REAL hard time deciding between a moongate charm and a Bermuda onion......went with the onion.:D Curious where the picture of the moongate charm is from. Is there a link to where I could buy it?

BTW, I bought my charm and a necklace at E.R. Aubrey.....nice jewelry store.

The main jewelry stores seem to carry different versions of it-- the one I posted is quite pricey but that;s the nicest one! There's also one with the Bermuda siganture bird inside the moongate which us nice...

Has anyone counted the Moongates in bermuda--wonder if there is a Moongate HIstorical society?

The main jewelry stores seem to carry different versions of it-- the one I posted is quite pricey but that;s the nicest one! There's also one with the Bermuda siganture bird inside the moongate which us nice...

Has anyone counted the Moongates in bermuda--wonder if there is a Moongate HIstorical society?

Just thought maybe you had some source other than Bermuda. ;) I have a Bermuda longtail charm and a longtail pendant I got about 6 years ago is now almost 2 1/2 times more than I paid.:eek:

I've wondered also if anyone has ever counted the moongates. Maybe one of the residents who posts knows something.

• 1 year later...
Almost time to photograph some more moongates for D.W. and I ( Hooooorrraaayyy ) !!!!!!:):):)

Have a lovely time!

Here's our honeymoon moongate photo - 1986 - at Sonesta Beach Resort.

Alas, that beautiful resort is no longer there :(.

However, the marriage is still going strong! ;)

646351120_Honeymoon-BermudaMoongate-oct86.jpg.48fd49b088c3d9b9beba912672ce2cb5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You can't miss the Moongate at the Dockyard. As you get off the ship, you will walk towards the Dockyard area. There is an area for Taxies and Busses to park. As you pass that area and head towards the mainland, it is on your right. Can't miss it. I never get off the dock without passing through the moongate. You know you are in Bermuda once you have walked through it.

Wow the explosion was amazing and sad. My husband and I happened upon the site of the "ruins" of this last year and have since read that there is a resort planned there. what a view !! thank you for posting that link

Archived