I have given up on the Sky.

burrellch

SaintL

Glad some are finally responding what I have been thinking all along on these sky posts.

Everyone needs to quit worrying themselves sick over this stuff and start dreaming of all the fun you will have!

I honestly do not know what people think on here, do they really think NCL is just going to let people sail in cabins with no A/C and let you find out when you get to the pier.

I think that is exactly what people who have bookings on Sky are worried about. Are they warranted in that fear? Will future passengers have the same problems as us test dummies? Likely not, given the attention the first couple sailings brought to NCL. Kudos to NCL for talking with past and future Sky passengers about the concerns. I'm no fan of NCL, but applaud what I'm hearing.

As for the OBC comment, if you are currently on Sky you have a very good chance of getting some OBC without asking, just like we did.

I just spoke to someone working on the sky and she said that the cabins affected are a very small % and they are having no issues moving people to different rooms because the ship isn't sailing full. Some people who moved to a smaller cabin even got $100 obc and thats a really good deal considering its a 3 day cruise.

I just sailed on Sky on the July 21st and my room had problems from the beginning and I asked to be moved and they weren't able to move me.

It may also be of note that as they go with future sailings, they could simply be not selling additional cabins until they are certain the problems are being resolved - thus solving the problems of not having enough cabins to move people to.

This may very well be the case. I sail on Sept 19th, and when I went in to check what rooms are still available (because I was curious, and might have called to ask to be moved depending on what was available), the only balconies available were a few BA aft balconies. It would not let me book a specific BC balcony room, although it would let me book a guarantee BC room. (And BB's weren't listed anywhere.)

My hope is that they're not selling additional cabins and that it's not that the ship is soooo full. I think it would be wise for them to leave themselves the flexibility to move folks around without having to move them to inside cabins.

I have not called to ask. Sailing in September, I am hoping that these boards report lots of improvement before we go. My fingers are crossed.

For anyone interested in doing a weekend cruise, I highly recommend the RC Majesty. We've done it twice, and though there are not many balcony cabins, it's a nice ship. We're going to attempt the Sky in October, and are looking forward to it. Price is one factor for us. The other is the opportunity to sail the Sky instead of the Majesty again. Sorry, we will NOT sail Carnival. It's funny that the OP is so concerned, but has not sailed that many cruises. For the price, it can't be that bad.

Here's an idea for NCL: run a promotion that awards a free 3-day on the Sky with the purchase of select 7-day cruises on other NCL ships. Eventually, they'll fill up the Sky with enough people who will overlook minor inconveniences because it's a free cruise. The reviews will get better and hopefully so will the problems on the ship. Where do I sign?

For anyone interested in doing a weekend cruise, I highly recommend the RC Majesty. We've done it twice, and though there are not many balcony cabins, it's a nice ship. We're going to attempt the Sky in October, and are looking forward to it. Price is one factor for us. The other is the opportunity to sail the Sky instead of the Majesty again. Sorry, we will NOT sail Carnival. It's funny that the OP is so concerned, but has not sailed that many cruises. For the price, it can't be that bad.

Here's an idea for NCL: run a promotion that awards a free 3-day on the Sky with the purchase of select 7-day cruises on other NCL ships. Eventually, they'll fill up the Sky with enough people who will overlook minor inconveniences because it's a free cruise. The reviews will get better and hopefully so will the problems on the ship. Where do I sign?

It is amaxing, just like food, cruise experiences can be very subjective: probably the worst cruise we ever had was on the Majesty of the Sea about 8 years ago. It turned us off to RCI or at least turned DH off. Part of it was weather related, which wasn't the fault of the cruise line, but other problems were not weather related.

Nita

I have 3 cabins booked for our group of 7 family members for the August 15th sailing (5 of them new to NCL and cruising). Honestly, I'm not very concerned, however, I understand that a number of posters had bad experiences with the first couple sailings, and there are certainly some problem cabins.

In light of that, I emailed 3 of NCL's executives last night just to make sure our cabins weren't impacted. The last thing I want is for 5 family members new to cruising to be turned off by a bad experience.

I was contacted via phone this morning from the executive office and was assured that my 3 cabins were not impacted (8018, 8019, and 8113 for those keeping tabs). NCL also reiterated that they are proactively moving passengers pre-cruise that are booked in the affected cabins or areas to different parts of the ship. As for A/C in the public areas, according to her, those issues have been resolved.

I'm fairly confident that NCL has made the right corrective actions, and am looking forward to another fun cruise on NCL.

It is amaxing, just like food, cruise experiences can be very subjective: probably the worst cruise we ever had was on the Majesty of the Sea about 8 years ago. It turned us off to RCI or at least turned DH off. Part of it was weather related, which wasn't the fault of the cruise line, but other problems were not weather related.

Nita

The Majesty of the Seas has been reburbished and they did an amazing job. I sailed on her 16 years ago and then again last year. I was impressed with all the add ons and upgrades. Like you said cruise experiences are subjective ( very true)- I would prefer to sail on the Majesty of the Seas over the NCL Spirit any day - but I am sure we all do not agree on that.

The Majesty of the Seas has been reburbished and they did an amazing job. I sailed on her 16 years ago and then again last year. I was impressed with all the add ons and upgrades. Like you said cruise experiences are subjective ( very true)- I would prefer to sail on the Majesty of the Seas over the NCL Spirit any day - but I am sure we all do not agree on that.

and that can make a big difference. The condition wasn't the only problem, it was service, size of cabins and overall food with the exception of the aspargus (spelling) it was great even if I can't spell. I haven't been on the Spirit yet. I do think The Majesty of the Sea is leaving the RCI fleet, but I could be wrong about that. It wouldn't be the first time.

Nita

and that can make a big difference. The condition wasn't the only problem, it was service, size of cabins and overall food with the exception of the aspargus (spelling) it was great even if I can't spell. I haven't been on the Spirit yet. I do think The Majesty of the Sea is leaving the RCI fleet, but I could be wrong about that. It wouldn't be the first time.

Nita

I think the Soveirgn of the Seas is leaving RCCL fleet not the Majesty.

I think the Soveirgn of the Seas is leaving RCCL fleet not the Majesty.

Sovereign (currently in Port Canaveral) is leaving but will be replaced by Monarch, which is coming from the west coast.

Majesty is a tremendous ship and continues to sail out of Miami.

Sovereign (currently in Port Canaveral) is leaving but will be replaced by Monarch, which is coming from the west coast.

Majesty is a tremendous ship and continues to sail out of Miami.

Are they going to replace the Monarch on the west coast?

I'm booked on the 9/26 sailing. I'm booked in room #8359. Sure hope everything is fixed by then.

Question? Can't the US Coast Guard shut the ship down once they dock in Miami? If it's not safe and seaworthy for US citizens isn't it their responsibility to not allow passengers onto the ship?

Mariner is going there but will be doing longer cruises. Radiance is doing 4 and 5 day cruises in the winter, I think.

Thanks for the info---I just might have to look into those. Radiance is our favorite ship of all we've sailed (and keeping her on the left coast makes sense when the Alaska season ends) and the Mariner sounds like a good ship also (from what I've heard)...but it could hurt me to have to pay full instead of sending in a couple NCL BoA certs LOL

BTW-I've been looking at your website. NICE!!!

I'm booked on the 9/26 sailing. I'm booked in room #8359. Sure hope everything is fixed by then.

Question? Can't the US Coast Guard shut the ship down once they dock in Miami? If it's not safe and seaworthy for US citizens isn't it their responsibility to not allow passengers onto the ship?

Probably could, but how do they define "safe & seaworthy"?

Thanks for the info---I just might have to look into those. Radiance is our favorite ship of all we've sailed (and keeping her on the left coast makes sense when the Alaska season ends) and the Mariner sounds like a good ship also (from what I've heard)...but it could hurt me to have to pay full instead of sending in a couple NCL BoA certs LOL

BTW-I've been looking at your website. NICE!!!

Thanks! We did Mariner out of Port Canaveral and it's a great ship. I agree with you that Radiance Class is a great ship. We sailed Brilliance.

RCL has a credit card, too. :) Sadly, we can't get it in Canada.

I was booked for September on the Sky and cancelled. I lost $100 deposit and $118 towards insurance. I'll have to wait for weeks to get back all the other money I had prepaid for this cruise. It was worth having a cruise I wasn't looking forward to. We booked a junior suite on RCCL Majesty of the Seas for the same dates. They tried to only offer us 50% back but luckily my travel rep at Travelocity was awesome and persisted until we only lost $218...... It is too bad about the Sky. I was more horrified by people waiting hours to get served in the dining rooms than I was about getting a room with toilet or ac issues. We were book on an aft balcony on a higher deck and from what I've heard these rooms are having trouble having ac working. Good luck to all that are still booked on the Sky. I hope they get their act together!

I was wondering if I paid for my cruise on my VISA is it possible to file and complaint with your credit card company stating all the current issues and problems on the ship?

I wouldn't think so. You agreed to a contract when you booked the cruise and as long as the line provides one, they've lived up to their end of it.

they could but it is unlikely these problems fall anywhere close to safe or seaworthy.

Nita

I was wondering if I paid for my cruise on my VISA is it possible to file and complaint with your credit card company stating all the current issues and problems on the ship?

you can always try, but I doubt it would do you any good. You would have to prove beyond a doubt the problems would directly affect you. Even then I am not sure it would do you any good.

nita

This thread makes me sad. We sailed her as the Pride of Aloha in 2006, and loved it! Sounds like she's gotten a little longer in the tooth. :(

Still, I hold a sweet spot in my heart for this ship.

Archived