Need more leg room

luvscruising2007

My husband has very long legs and the standard airline seat is very uncomfortable for him. He can endure for a couple of hours, but next year we will be flying to England and that is a long flight.

Has anyone used custom air to get first class? How much more was it? Are there any other options? We are cruising with RCl and will be using their air arrangement because of the international flight.

There are many flavors of first class, business and premium economy seating. Everything from flat beds to odl fasioned domestic-style "first class" seats. Leg room, hip room, etc. vary all over the place.

I suggest you take a look at http://www.seatguru.com/ to get an idea os who offers what.

Then you might try kayak.com to compare pricing which also varies all over the map.

If you need just more legroom a premium economy option may be best for you.

Depending upon where you are in the US it is more than likely that either BA or Virgin Atlantic will fly to London from one of the big cities. You'll get essentially economy service but the seat will be wider and anywhere up to 20" more pitch than economy (on BMI from ORD-MAN). Most PE offerings are around 7" more than economy though.

I would look for premium economy offerings. Others will disagree with me, but Virgin's PE is better than BA's (they call it World Traveller Plus), but there are supposedly upgrades being made to the product.

One word of caution though, on Virgin, you definitely want to check Seat Guru because there's an electronics box under the side seats that actually restricts legroom (whereas the middle seats don't have it and are actually nicer to sit in).

I'm not sure when you're flying, but airlines also often run business class fare sales to Europe when its not a peak business travel season (the summer, Christmas, etc.). Ironically, they usually move in the opposite direction from the coach seats (which are more expensive in the summer). You can sometimes find business class to Europe (from east coast) for $2,000. That beings said, East Coast to Europe is a 5-6 hour flight only . . .while the comfort is nice, is it worth spending an entire extra cruise fare just to get there? Just something to think about--the extra money is worth different things to different people.

Here's another vote for looking at premium economy. Sometimes you can get this for a supplement of something like $200 each way over the normal economy fare, which is (IMHO) a bargain; it's still good value at significantly higher premiums - I am now often having to pay £250 each way to get premium economy but still think it worthwhile.

BA's premium economy product is certainly lagging behind competitors, especially as a rash of big airlines have started to introduce it now (eg JAL and Qantas) and have better products. BA suffers from being the longest-standing big airline to have it (if you regard Virgin Atlantic as more of a niche carrier) and the product has not really been updated since inception. But I think it'll probably be 2010 before there will be a "new" World Traveller Plus product.

I'll add my vote for Virgin Atlantic's premium economy. It cost us more to the UK this year than regular coach, but in my opinion was worth every penny. I'm a bit ''fluffy'' and the extra width in the seat as well as the leg room was great.

If you're cruising out of Dover or Southampton, Virgin has flights in the London Gatwick which makes for an easy transfer. You may have to come up with some creative booking to get to a city that is served by Virgin, but it can be done.

I would check out United Airlines. They offer Economy Plus for $300 for a husband and wife. It gives you 5 more inches of leg room. I am 6'8" and it works for me. We have been to Europe three times in the last two years and it beats coach. They reserve a whole section in the front of the plane behind business Class for Economy Plus passengers.

I was about to mention United's Economy+ as well. My only issue with it is that it is the same coach product (movies, food, service), just with some more leg room.

For the price differential I'd be all over Virgin Atlantic's premium economy product. You get a bigger seat (width & pitch), upgraded meal service, separate check-in counter, etc. Much more bang for your buck in my book.

In case it's not already clear from JJPNYC's post, be careful about United's "Economy Plus". It is not a premium economy product. It is just normal economy, just with deeper pitch (ie more legroom).

True premium economy products are far different from "Economy Plus".

do you know who virgin atlantic partners with? I am looking to get miles if I book with them.
I'm not sure how easy it is to get the reverse list (ie which airlines' frequent flyer schemes give credit for flights on Virgin Atlantic), but this list of airlines whose flights can earn credit in Virgin Atlantic's frequent flyer scheme may provide a start for your research:-
  • Air China
  • Air Jamaica
  • Air New Zealand
  • ANA (All Nippon Airways)
  • bmi
  • Continental Airlines
  • Gulf Air
  • Hawaiian Airlines
  • Jet Airways
  • Malaysia Airlines
  • SAS
  • Singapore Airlines