Looking for answer from someone who has cruised with green card

VickieLynn

Hi Vickie,

The "Green Card" (which is not green anymore) is basicly a document for the US Immigration officials and it does not have much to do with the other countries. Other countries (Nassau, St.Martin) may require a passport from the country that the "green Card" holder is a citizen of. There is a certain relationship between Nassau, St. Martin and others and the country of which the "Green Card" holder is a citizen of.......whatever they require for each other citizens when entering their countries is applicable to the "Green Card" holder. The "Green Card" holder is not a USA citizen so is not a subject to the same laws and regulations that would apply to the USA citizen when entering Nassau or St. Martin. The "Green Card" is needed to be allowed to get back to the USA.

Wes

Vickie,I am not any authority on this subject but few years back in the mid 90's my wife was an Alien (green card) and when we went on cruises that stopped in any foreign countries (islands) a passport from her country of citizenship was required. When the ships docks in any island the first people that get on the ship are the immigration officials and they want to see the passports (sometimes also the passport holders) of all foreign citizens ( for whatever reason they do not ask for passports from the USA citizens.......but my guess is that they could...it is their country and they have the right to know who is coming to visit them...no different than US officials).

So my guess is have the passport from the country that you hold the citizenship, but it is only a guess.

Our immigration officials probably do not have much information what is required for 'Aliens' when they go to other countries, that does not much concern them all they care that "Green Card" needs to be present on the way back.

If you find something different, please let us know. Vickie try the links below, it got some tel numbers for officials from St. Martin....they might give you the correct answer, also the second one is for Bahamas.

http://www.geographia.com/st-martin/smtour01.htm

http://www.thebahamasguide.com/

Vickie, you might be OK with the Green Card only for Nassau, read below.

U.S. Citizen

U.S. Resident (non-citizen)

Canadian Citizen

Canadian Resident (non-citizen)

Other Countries

Apply For A Visa

Customs & Immigration

http://bahamas.com/assets/global/shim.gifhttp://bahamas.com/assets/global/shim.gif

To enter The Bahamas, U.S. Residents who are not U.S. citizens need the following documentation:

Alien Registration Card (Green Card)

For visits NOT exceeding 30 days:

An original Alien Registration Card is required. Though not required, a national passport (passport from country of origin) is additionally recommended to facilitate processing.

For visits exceeding 30 days:

A valid national passport and a Bahamas Visa are required for U.S. resident non-citizens wishing to stay longer than 30 days.

Wes

We took both our passports and green cards when we went on a cruise last year. It was no problem at all except at the disembarcation in San Juan. About 5 or 6 lines were for American citizens and only 2 lines were for others. We were in the others line for about 2 hours. The American citizens line should have green card holders included in it, as at most international airports.

According to Celebrity's and RCCI's brochures, it states that if you are a legal resident of the US but are not a citizen, you will need to present your Temporary Residence Card or your Green Card. It also states that if you are not a US citizen, you will need a valid passport from your country of citizenship. I would assume that these rules are the same for all cruise lines.

I have taken eight cruises with my green card and never had any trouble except for the time I forgot to pack it (changed purses the night before ) which resulted in a $300.00 dollar fine at Galveston Texas when I got off the ship. My travel agent told me I don't need a passport but birth certificate and my green card is fine. My passport expired last month and this is a last minute cruise I booked. I preregistered on Carnivals web site and listed what documents I had and it allowed me to register. This is the first time I will cruise without a passport and I hope everything goes fine. They always take my passport at time of embarkation and I get it back when I got off the ship. I hope this helps

My wife is a German citizen who is a Permanent Resident of the US (A Green Card holder), and I'm American, as such we do a lot of international travel to visit family. In short, this is what we've found...

1) We've taken several cruises on Royal Carribean, and it makes the whole process EASIER if you bring BOTH the passport of your home country AND your Green Card.

2) If your cruise ship will be visiting foreign (i.e NON-US Ports of Call), you should contact your Embassy in Washington DC or Consulate in New York City (most foreign governments have consulates in New York due to the United Nations being there). They will be able to tell you whether there are any entry requirements for the country you are visiting. I have found that if you are a citizen of most Western European countries and Canada, the overwhelming majority of Carribean countries require just your national passport. If you are a citizen of another country, best to check with the Embassy / Consulate.

3) As others have mentioned, the Green Card is required by US Immigration upon return to United States soil. On our recent cruise on the Mariner of the Seas, my wife had to present her green card/passport twice to immigration...once during a port stop in St. Thomas, and once at debarkation at Pt. Canaveral.

Happy sailing,

Michael

"Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger."

I agree with the previous post...take both the green card and passport!

My boyfriend is Russian and has a green card and Russian Passport. NCL said he only needed his green card and driver's license. But from checking out most of the Boards, we will be taking his passport as well!

I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it!

My husband (UK citizen) had a "temporary" green card for a few years before he got his "permanent" one. The "temporary" one expired, and they sent him a letter extending its authority for a year. We took his passport, his expired card, and that letter when we traveled. Even then some immigration agents seemed puzzled by the letter. Just to be safe we take passports and his green card when we go.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived