Need some help! Picking cruises

big aft

I know its my personal preference, but wanted your input.

My wife and I ( 60 & 59 yrs old) have been on the Caribbean Princess 4 times, also the Golden and the Grand. In other words love Princess. We did try RCCL, but only once..came back to Princess.

With this in mind, we have a choice to travel on the new HAL Eurodam in Feb to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, and their private island or the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan to many more new islands.

I keep thinking we would like to try a new ship, new line, but everything I read about HAL does not excite me. The HAL regulars seem mighty stuffy and too laid back. On the other hand, we may be getting tired of the same ship.

Any thoughts/input to help me out?

Thanks,

Larry

My wife and I ( 60 & 59 yrs old) have been on the Caribbean Princess 4 times, also the Golden and the Grand. In other words love Princess. We did try RCCL, but only once..came back to Princess.

With this in mind, we have a choice to travel on the new HAL Eurodam in Feb to Grand Turk, San Juan, St. Thomas, and their private island or the Caribbean Princess out of San Juan to many more new islands.

I keep thinking we would like to try a new ship, new line, but everything I read about HAL does not excite me. The HAL regulars seem mighty stuffy and too laid back. On the other hand, we may be getting tired of the same ship.

Thanks,

Larry

You don't say why you're stuck with the same ships on Princess. But if you do like Princess so much why not try a new ship. I believe there are 18 (?) in the fleet?

Tee

I can't comment directly on HAL vs. Princess, never having sailed HAL.

I can suggest you think about a new ship and a new line, why not try something different? We love Princess and are looking froward to getting back on Star after years of sailing Celebrity. We do enjoy both lines and yes, there are some big differences. I'm glad we have sailed both, the important thing if you do it, don't compare, just go and enjoy.

Chuck

Join us!

We are sailing the Western Caribbean on the new 'Ruby Princess' on Feb. 7th - 2009. A brand new ship! Itinerary includes: Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Princess Cays. 7 day cruise with two at sea days.

Whatever you pick, you will have a terrific time, I'm sure! We have also done the Caribbean Explorer and the Caribbean Classic out of San Juan - great itinerary, but very port intensive. This time we're going for a new ship. I'm sure we'll find something fun to do in the ports.

BTW: My husband will be 58 (also by the name of Larry) and I will be 62 years young at the time of this cruise.

We've found that even when sailing the same ship on the same itinerary, it's not the same cruise. Why? We've changed and are at a different place in our lives, and the people around us will certainly be different. Going to most of the same places allows us to sample something different, or even to experience something again that we enjoyed before (even though the experience will be different)

I would probably opt for the new islands, and not want to repeat San Juan as a stop - other than the fort (which I loved) we really didn't enjoy that port. St. Thomas is on many cruises - so you'll probably be back.

As you can see from my cruise history we tried HAL a long time ago. A brand new ship might be exciting as there is something special about the first cruise year, with usually a good selection of crew and staff.

There are plusses and minuses to any decision. Enjoy your cruise, whichever you select!

I have only taken two cruises. One on HAL and the other on Princess. I had mini suites on both and got hooked on mini suites. I travel alone. There are things about both lines but I have to say the beds on HAL are very, very comfortable. I got more bang for my buck on HAL. I'm 63 years old and don't feel like I"m a stuffy person. In fact, there was a good representation of all age groups on my HAL cruise. I definitely will not travel when there might be lots of children on the ship because I really don't want to be around children when I'm cruising.

The Eurodam just had her maiden voyage in early July. I pasted the report of one person who sailed on the Eurodam. It might give you some good insight into the new ship and there are pictures included.

Eurodam Just back! My A-Z with over 200 photos/Videos ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)

I don't know if you can link up with the posting above. If not, just go to the HAL board. There are lots of reviews of the Eurodam.

Basically, if you are happy with Princess, then why bother switching lines? I agree with the others that suggested you try a new ship and some new destinations. Princess has some wonderful smaller sized ships that you might like as much as the larger ships. I think you will enjoy whatever you decide because it's just wonderful to be cruising, isn't it?

along with princess we like royal caribbean,so we go back and forth, depending on which ships are doing the itinery we are wanting to do,and it gives us some variety in cruising,they are alike,give it a try and see what you think

I would probably opt for the new islands, and not want to repeat San Juan as a stop - other than the fort (which I loved) we really didn't enjoy that port. !

Wow. San Juan is one of our favorite stops.

Different strokes for different folks.

What did you like / not like?

Just asking

Thanks all...all good thoughts. I did read the Eurodam reviews and saw the pics and thats what got me thinking.

I think the idea of a new ship and new line is appealing, but boy I know what to expect with Princess!

When my wife forced me on to our first cruise in 2000, I thought "make her happy!".........she created a monster....This is the only type of vacation I really relax on!

I'll look at other reviews of the Eurodam, but what a problem to have! Which cruise should I go on!.....I'm thankful for that!

Thanks all...all good thoughts. I did read the Eurodam reviews and saw the pics and thats what got me thinking.

I think the idea of a new ship and new line is appealing, but boy I know what to expect with Princess!

When my wife forced me on to our first cruise in 2000, I thought "make her happy!".........she created a monster....This is the only type of vacation I really relax on!

I'll look at other reviews of the Eurodam, but what a problem to have! Which cruise should I go on!.....I'm thankful for that!

Hmmm... I would advise this for certain: if you have doubts, don't do it.

Take a lot of time. If you are leaning toward a different line, but have heavy doubts about it, go to webshots and youtube and look at every pic you can find of specific ships in the new line you're considering. Go to the cruise line's forum(s) here on CC and read all you can. Even wander into the roll calls of the new line's ship and read there.

If after a lot of investigation, you still feel uncomfortable, stay with Princess and try a new ship. It's simply too much energy and money put out on a cruise to go into it with negative feelings.

Cheers!

Tee

Thanks,

Larry

Have you thought about a repositioning cruise? You fly over to Europe and cruise back to Fort Lauderdale. We have taken two of them and have a third scheduled for 2009. We flew to Rome and cruised back on 16 and 17 day itineraries. One was the Grand Princess and the other was the Star Princess. The next one will be on the Crown Princess going back to New York. You see lots of interesting ports and have a few sea days to recover and you don't feel the jet lag when you get home.

Don't blame you about RCL. We tried them 3 times and that was 2 times too many. We've been on HAL once and found we prefer Princess.

The one thing DH and I love about Princess is the Anytime Dining. That alone is a big reason we sail with Princess. We haven't sailed any other lines, though I look at prices and itineraries, but I'd rather "know" what to expect and be happy. Carnival is to much of partying crowd for us (we're in our 30's, but don't drink very much). I'd like to try Royal Caribbean, but alot of times, they are more expensive, and have the specific dining times. Maybe on one of their new ships, we'll try them. We're doing the same cruise we did last year in September this October (Canada/New England). Last year it was on Crown, this year Caribbean Princess. So far my favorite shis was the Sapphire - but we were on it in August, 2 months after it debuted. It was also our 1st cruise, honeymoon and the Alaska Inside Passage - and a balcony room. I think we got spoiled!

Also, food is a pretty big thing for DH, so we know the quality of food on Princess and what to expect, so that is another thing in it's favor. I know the decor of HAL and Princess are very different - does that make a difference to you? Maybe the ports/islands? I like going to new ports, so that also would be a big factor - especially if there are ports I haven't been to or think would be interesting/fun!

Good luck whatever you decide! A cruise in any way is a great vacation!!

Archived