Yellow or Blue?

Robin7

So is there any setting (Canon 40D) that will not cause fleshtones that are too yellow or too blue? A filter? (Is this an incidence where a polarizer would be good???)

I can only do very basic correction in Photoshop (Elements). I really need to figure out where to take a class, but I just prefer to have the photos correct out of the camera and not have to do any editing.

This one is too yellow:

No flash f 4.5 1/50

2380922100095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

And this one (with the flash) is too blue:

f 4.5 1/60

2128922480095180459S600x600Q85.jpg

Robin

So is there any setting (Canon 40D) that will not cause fleshtones that are too yellow or too blue? A filter? (Is this an incidence where a polarizer would be good???)

I can only do very basic correction in Photoshop (Elements). I really need to figure out where to take a class, but I just prefer to have the photos correct out of the camera and not have to do any editing.

This one is too yellow:

No flash f 4.5 1/50

And this one (with the flash) is too blue:

f 4.5 1/60

Robin

Try setting the white balance to "Tungsten" for regular light. Most digital cameras are so-so at auto-balancing tungsten. try the same for flash.

Also, try Enhance > Adjust Color > Remove color cast in Elements.

Dave

This one is too yellow: ======> Agreed

And this one (with the flash) is too blue: =====> Not at all - not on my screen

I see very little wrong with that second shot of yours.

I tried the Photoshop thing, and it just made it very, very blue on the first shot. It didn't change the second shot at all, so it agrees with you, aplmac. But I will try messing with the white balance today.

Thanks for the help!

So where does one find a Photoshop class? I'd really like to learn. I want to make a photo book for my son and his wife for Christmas of their dating/engagement/wedding photos. I have all of the wedding photos as digital images. (Her parents did not hire a photographer so I had to at the last minute, so I kept the images.) I'd like to know how to 'fancy them up'.

Robin

I tried the Photoshop thing, and it just made it very, very blue on the first shot. It didn't change the second shot at all, so it agrees with you, aplmac. But I will try messing with the white balance today.

Thanks for the help!

So where does one find a Photoshop class? I'd really like to learn. I want to make a photo book for my son and his wife for Christmas of their dating/engagement/wedding photos. I have all of the wedding photos as digital images. (Her parents did not hire a photographer so I had to at the last minute, so I kept the images.) I'd like to know how to 'fancy them up'.

Robin

Here's a decent book on Elements 6 that should help you with the concepts used to "fancy up" the photos: http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Elements-Digital-Photographers-Voices/dp/0321524640/ref=pd_cp_d_1_img?pf_rd_p=413864101&pf_rd_s=center-41&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0017DOW30&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0FQYSP9QB7A0ZTC502TM

Before you go nuts on classes, I did the correction below in Picasa with the "Auto Color" button. Could be better, but not bad...

original.jpg

Dave

Robin

I took a Photoshop Elements class from my local technical college at night. They offer basic, intermediate, and advanced classes. I took these after my photography classes to be able to do something with all the pictures I took. Plans are to take more classes this fall.

I took a Photoshop Elements class from my local technical college at night. They offer basic, intermediate, and advanced classes. I took these after my photography classes to be able to do something with all the pictures I took. Plans are to take more classes this fall.

Hmmmmm. I'll have to check out our technical college.

Love how picasa corrected that, Dave. I'll check that out too.

My daughter-in-law asked me if I could change her really yellow roses to the ones she actually wanted--pale yellow with pink edges. "You can do that in Photoshop." Well, maybe professionals can, but I have no idea how! (Nor do I know if Elements even has the stuff needed to do that.) So I think a class is in order. If I can find one....

Robin

Hmmmmm. I'll have to check out our technical college.

Love how picasa corrected that, Dave. I'll check that out too.

My daughter-in-law asked me if I could change her really yellow roses to the ones she actually wanted--pale yellow with pink edges. "You can do that in Photoshop." Well, maybe professionals can, but I have no idea how! (Nor do I know if Elements even has the stuff needed to do that.) So I think a class is in order. If I can find one....

Robin

Select the roses only with the Polygonal lasso tool. "Select" > "Feather" the edge of the selection (3 or 4 pixels). "Enhance" > "Adjust Color" > "Adjust Hue/Saturation" and move the saturation slider to the left until the roses are pale enough. "Enhance" > "Adjust Lighting" > "Brightness/Contrast" and move the contrast slider to the right to replace some pop to the bloom.

Before:

original.jpg

After:

original.jpg

You can take out as much or as little color as you want...or even change it like I did in this graphic I did for my daughter. The pink tulip in the center was the original, the yellow and blue are copies adjusted with the "Hue" slider in the "Adjust Hue/Saturation" tool mentioned above:

original.jpg

I used to use Photoshop CS2 for serious editing, but Elements 6.0 is pretty darn powerful...and fun!

Dave

Archived