Fly naked! Its cheaper!

Cruisin' Ron VA

Some people claim they can but never actually give the details of how they can cruise for a week or more with one legal size/weight bag.

Anyone?

I take one bag all the time......it is easy......don't take all that extra stuff everyone thinks they need. If you do not change your clothes all the time it can be done.

I only pack one bag. Also when I'm flying to a ship for 5 months for work only one bag is needed! I HATE overpacking.

Haha for you it is easy. You get to wear the same thing everyday.

We common folk (the passengers) have to make costume changes several times a day! :eek:

First class is looking better. RDU to FLL is $750 for first class on Delta. Coach is $380.00 Add checking an extra bag each way and coach is now $480. You can check 3 bags with no extra charge when flying first class.

Delta is jacking up the luggage fees again.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/delta_dc

I have to try to pack one piece of luggage when cruising.

Some people claim they can but never actually give the details of how they can cruise for a week or more with one legal size/weight bag.

Anyone?

Oh man--I would really rather pay the extra fees than subject people to me naked:eek: Or for that matter- I will pay THEIR extra fees rather than see THEM naked:eek:

Details of one bag? It is really SO Easy! I got over my obsession of having to wear something DIFFERENT every single day and night cuz people just don't notice or care! Figure 7 days- 4 shorts or capris or skirt-4shirts or blouses- MIX AND MATCH the colors and alternate clothes! ONE basic black skirt/pants with several cute shells for evening. One pair of shoes on my feet- one sandal and one night time shoe. One hoodie- jacket etc worn on the plane. THERE I am done! Same thing for hubbie- minus the skirt and capris of course!

My first cruise we had two LARGE suitcases and one carry on for a week. YIKES! Never did wear all the stuff and what a pain to unpack- put away and pack up again. I learned it is not worth it to be a "different" fashion plate every day!

Go for it! NAKED---ummmmm no!

Oh man--I would really rather pay the extra fees than subject people to me naked:eek: Or for that matter- I will pay THEIR extra fees rather than see THEM naked:eek:

Details of one bag? It is really SO Easy! I got over my obsession of having to wear something DIFFERENT every single day and night cuz people just don't notice or care! Figure 7 days- 4 shorts or capris or skirt-4shirts or blouses- MIX AND MATCH the colors and alternate clothes! ONE basic black skirt/pants with several cute shells for evening. One pair of shoes on my feet- one sandal and one night time shoe. One hoodie- jacket etc worn on the plane. THERE I am done! Same thing for hubbie- minus the skirt and capris of course!

My first cruise we had two LARGE suitcases and one carry on for a week. YIKES! Never did wear all the stuff and what a pain to unpack- put away and pack up again. I learned it is not worth it to be a "different" fashion plate every day!

Go for it! NAKED---ummmmm no!

Well I have been watching that new Carson Kressly show on Lifetime "how to look good naked" so now I am not so worried. LOL

But honestly you are talking about a guy (me) who needs one suit case just for shoes! Yes really.

I am 39 days out and I have to start practice packing. This is not going to go well.

But honestly you are talking about a guy (me) who needs one suit case just for shoes! Yes really.

I am 39 days out and I have to start practice packing. This is not going to go well.

Oh something tells me I like you. Are you married??? :D :D :D Don't sweat it because I am. :p

2P.P1

SWMBO and I split a 27" between us for a 7-day, plus a day pre and post.

We do laundry on board, not concerned about wearing clothes more than once or twice, not fussy about the hairdryer or shampoo the ship provides, don't wear loot or bling, and we skip formal night or cruise on NCL.

In fact she complains I bring too much, i.e. my laptop.

:cool:

I read a Diane Von Furstenburg comment yesterday .. "If you pack light you live light"

I guess I don't live light ..

I pack the lightest weight clothing I own. If it's a Caribbean cruise, then it's gonna be hot anyway. As posted above, DH and I both pack two pairs of basic dressy pants to wear to dinner, his are coupled with his jacket for formal night.

I have several crepe and georgette dressy outfits that weigh practically nothing, a long crepe black skirt, and all my tops are lightweight knits, silk, or cotton. Several pairs of lightweight basic colored capris (black, white, tan), and DH takes 3 pairs of black knit shorts for daytime.

Tropical shirts for him during the day and casual nights in the DR, and two dress shirts. Roll ties and socks in his shoes.

Two pairs of shoes for him, and walking shoes, day sandals, and night sandals (skimpy black ones) for me.

Lightweight windbreaker type jackets, and a black knit evening jacket for me.

I have a packing list for both of us and "dry packed" for a 15-night cruise. I came in at 31 lbs, and DH at 35 lbs (his jacket is bulky). That includes my toiletries, too, which weigh about 5 lbs alone!!!!!

We each are in a 22 inch suitcase apiece.

Anyone?

I hope I'm older than you, as I can't handle much weight anymore. (The greatest invention in the last 50 years was putting wheels on suitcases, but they still have to be put in the car to go to the airport:( ) I handle a suitcase I can lift and a carryon I can lift over my head. My DW has a carryon she puts under the seat in front of her to rest her feet on (she's short), a BIG purse with meds, cosmetics, one or 2 days undergarments for both of us, and a couple of books. She also carries the travel documents, except my tickets. Both of us wear the documents we will need in a convienient pouch around our necks. We no longer take 7 day cruises, only 14 or more.

The hardest part of this is convincing the wife I can no longer LIFT the weight she used to pack, and cutting out the suitcase full of her shoes!:rolleyes: Heavy clothing should be worn on the trip. If we didn't have so much space, we could get the meds and a days underwear in the pockets of my sports coat:p

PCUR thanks for the tips.

I am one of those who has to have an outfit for everything!

I am doing better as of late by packing less formal attire and recycling some clothes. Thank goodness for washers and dryers on board.

I have started using those vacuum bags too. They work great but then finding a vacuum for the packing ritual on the last night is a challenge at times.

The next cruise will be the test with all of these new luggage fees.

Wish me luck!

The greatest invention in the last 50 years was putting wheels on suitcases, but they still have to be put in the car to go to the

No, they don't. I have a medical problem, and the MD says for me not to lift anything over ten pounds. I pack the suitcase when it is in the car, empty, then enlist help at the airport to get it out. Reverse for trip back home.

Rich

No, they don't. I have a medical problem, and the MD says for me not to lift anything over ten pounds. I pack the suitcase when it is in the car, empty, then enlist help at the airport to get it out. Reverse for trip back home.

Rich

Very smart idea.

We've traveled for 3 weeks (12 day Med Cruise and pre/post cruise) in Europe with a 21 inch rollerboard suitcase and tote bag each. Actually, the only 3 times I've traveled with a large suitcase in the past 10 years have been moving, traveling with many Christmas gifts (had to check the bag anyway) and for my wedding cruise (even with that I had 1 rollerboard and one large suitcase). As another person said, wear your heaviest clothes (including jacket) and shoes onboard.

Coordinate your clothes so you can mix & match multiple pieces, pack light pieces, do laundry (we used the self laundry, but honestly with the bag fees, it's probably cheaper to have the ship do any necessary laundry onboard that packing an extra bag), limit shoes (make sure they have multiple uses) and use compression bags. Also, make use of the items provided in hotels/onboard or stop in a store before you go to the ship (after landing).

As for packing light meaning that you're living light...it was exactly the opposite. We were not tied down by our luggage. While others were waiting for help with their multiple large bags (and paying a pretty Euro for it), we were on our way quickly and easily.

SWMBO and I split a 27" between us for a 7-day, plus a day pre and post.

We do laundry on board, not concerned about wearing clothes more than once or twice, not fussy about the hairdryer or shampoo the ship provides, don't wear loot or bling, and we skip formal night or cruise on NCL.

:cool:

And this works if there is a laundry on board.........................:rolleyes:

I absolutely refuse to do laundry on vacation - it is one of things I want to get away from.

If we are gone for 10 days I certainly need 10 pairs of undies, etc. and in the Caribbean clothes get sweaty why would anyone want to wear them more than once? With the new luggage restrictions we will probably try to make do with less but I don't know how........... I almost always wear everything I take.

Anyone?

Pete & I go by Nike's motto...we Just Do It. We never take more than we can fit into 2 suitcases & 2 carryons. We only take the 2 carryons because we have to carry medicinal stuff. If it doesn't fit it doesn't travel. Of course sometimes I have to wear a coat or jacket that isn't quite seasonal.

Steve

Archived