Celebrity Panama

hermang

I was looking at an Equinox cruise in Jan 2010 - 11 day Ultimate Caribbean.

The cruise for openers is almost $500 cheaper than the Jewel and had a better selection of ports. It has a port call to Colon Panama and I started thinking that the Equinox is too big for the canal. The shore excursions have changed somewhat especially for the Train - now one way and includes Panama City. I think that they are bypassing the partial transit. Anyone been to Colon and wonder how far fro Cristobal Pier Colon is?

I like the new ports - Cartagena, Limon, Panama and Roatan as well as some old standbys.

Did I read this right that they get to Panama with out the canal transit??

Yes. On the Canal no transit.

The ship is too big and they will dock for the day.

In by 8am out by 6pm.

If they get there early this is the day to watch the sun come up.

The pier area is a covered hanger like area.

There are some shops inside. You can taxi into town as it was not recommended that you walk into town.

They have a covered area the busses and taxis would drive into to pick you up for tours and anything else.

Yes. On the Canal no transit.

The ship is too big and they will dock for the day.

In by 8am out by 6pm.

If they get there early this is the day to watch the sun come up.

The pier area is a covered hanger like area.

There are some shops inside. You can taxi into town as it was not recommended that you walk into town.

They have a covered area the busses and taxis would drive into to pick you up for tours and anything else.

Cristobal Pier was pretty much the same thing if memory serves me well

hermang,

We are booked on the Jan o4, 2010 Equinox to the western Carib. FYI, the price hasn't changed yet since Celebrity opened up the ship for sale at the end of April. We booked ASAP and were able to get the $5.00 a day fuel surcharge. Now it's $10.00 a day. Still the cabin prices haven't changed. If you're thinking of going, this date is the least expensive. We decided to try Aqua class too. We are going on the Solstice this Jan 18 in CC and will inquire from the Aqua class pax how they like it. If it's no big deal we'll change to CC and save a few dollars. Good luck!

hermang,

We are booked on the Jan o4, 2010 Equinox to the western Carib. FYI, the price hasn't changed yet since Celebrity opened up the ship for sale at the end of April. We booked ASAP and were able to get the $5.00 a day fuel surcharge. Now it's $10.00 a day. Still the cabin prices haven't changed. If you're thinking of going, this date is the least expensive. We decided to try Aqua class too. We are going on the Solstice this Jan 18 in CC and will inquire from the Aqua class pax how they like it. If it's no big deal we'll change to CC and save a few dollars. Good luck!

We have 2 cruises booked for Next Year so DW is skittish about booking another one - especially in this economy. My daughter's in-laws are finally on the same page as we are so they may join us. They definitely want to go to Limon. Funny but it is cheaper by almost $500 than the Jewel

...It has a port call to Colon Panama and I started thinking that the Equinox is too big for the canal...

If I remember correctly, the Horizon did a ten or eleven night Western Carib. cruise from Tampa with a stop at Colon a few years. At the time, we did a ten or eleven night Eastern Carib. from Tampa on the Horizon. Back then, it alternated east and west on every other cruise.

The point of this is that the Colon stop was in the mix before size mattered. :o

The Equinox may not fit through the Canal but I don't think that is the reason for the itiniery.

Les

Not even getting to go into one lock would really dinimsh this experience for me. We took a partial transit on Brilliance of the Seas & can't wait to book a full transit at some future date--Canal cruises are pricey but the experience well worth it--even the one lock experience was awesome..

When the canal is enlarged, I am not sure what size ships will be going through but there is always discussion on the Panama Canal thread..

FYI when any cruise ship stops at Colon that port indicates that they will not enter the canal. The website Colon2000.com shows videos and detailed itineraries of all the excursions offered. There is a whole shopping center adjoining the cruise ship terminal.

If your itinerary says Christobal it may mean that there is an entrance to the canal, but not Colon.

Not even getting to go into one lock would really dinimsh this experience for me. We took a partial transit on Brilliance of the Seas & can't wait to book a full transit at some future date--Canal cruises are pricey but the experience well worth it--even the one lock experience was awesome..

When the canal is enlarged, I am not sure what size ships will be going through but there is always discussion on the Panama Canal thread..

Well, if you really want an experience, take the ferry boat excursion through the locks and out to the Pacific Ocean. It was FABULOUS!!!! Well worth the busride to and from!

Nancie:cool:

Per Wikipedia the maximum ship size to fit through the current Panama Canal, commonly known as Panamax is

Length 965 ft

Beam(width) 106 ft

Draft (depth) 39.5 ft

Per Celebrity the Solstice and presumably the entire class measure

Length 1033 ft

Beam 121 ft

Draft 27 ft

So no, you will not be entering the locks unless someone brings lots and lots of KY.

There will be various tours and excursions to see the workings of the locks up close and personal.

Enjoy

Rich

Does Equinox offer a shore excursion that will allow you to experience going through the locks? I know that an excursion like that was offered from Cristobal Pier at one time, and they may offer it again.

We sailed Nov 07 on the Connie Ultimate Western Carribean.

It was wonderful. The two ports in Pamama are quite close.

If you are interested in a private tour in Panama, we used a company called "My Friend Mario". It remains one of the best tours we have ever done. We first started off at the canal museum, then went into the Jungle and ended up at a native Panamanian Village for lunch. We totally loved it and know we will go back again. Mario is the son and his father Mario SR is the guide.

Daphna

Archived