Taxi to Vasa

recia

We are thinking of taking a taxi to Vasa from the pier to try and beat the crowds. Do the taxis in Stockholm take credit cards and are they small taxis or can they handle a group of 5 to 7?

We took a taxi to the Vasa and we were glad that we did. When the tour buses started arriving, it was so packed that we couldn't turn around let alone look at the exhibits. Our taxi was a regular size car which fit the four of us. I don't know if they have taxi vans or not. We had local currency so we paid with that. Don't know if they take credit cards or not.

We took a taxi (for four) to Vasa, and it was about $20.00. It worked out great, as we were just in time to watch the video and then catch one of the museum's free English-language tours. No need to pay for a ship tour.

The only bad thing was that we got into an unmetered cab afterward to go into Gamla Stan, and he charged us $50.00. It was ridiculous. He initially quoted 50 Euros, and my sister (who was paying for that leg) told him he must be confused, and he accepted $50. But that was still outrageous. Expensive lesson - don't get in a non-metered cab.

It cost us less than $20 to get back to the ship at the end of the day, this time in a metered cab.

Another Stockholm tip - the changing of the guard at the Palace is really nothing special at all, and is very crowded. I wouldn't waste your time - we wish we hadn't, because there were so many other beautiful things to see in the time we had there.

If the taxi is about $ 20 from the cruise terminal to Vasa Museum, how much would you estimate the cost of a taxi from Vasa to Gamla Stan. From the map, it doesn't look too far. I was planning to walk from Vasa to Gamla Stan and then a taxi back to the cruise. thanks for the info

Maps are deceiving. We paid around $10 for the cab from Vasa to the Palace and it was well worth it. We asked how much it would be first before we got in the cab. We then walked on back to the ship from Gamla Stan. It was a bit of a walk (about 30 min from the ship end of Gamla Stan) on a hot day, but definitely doable. You could also catch the ship's shuttle that picks up at the Opera House.

I did check the web site for TaxiStockholm and they do accept credit cards, not sure of others. One thing I did note in looking at taxis for Stockholm were several warnings about non metered taxis and charging more than the fee they said before you get into the cab.

Archived