Curious on opinions of St.Lucia

cmalibu1

I am thinking about either going on a cruise that stops in St.Lucia, or staying on the island for our whole vacation.

I am curious to see what everyone has to say about this island. We have been to a few carribean islands, but didnt like Jamaica. So I have read some posts where people feel like this island is similar to jamaica. Which was hard because here we were at this ultra fancy resort(in jamaica), but the rest was so run down and we were constantly being asked to help tip, pay for things, and being harassed to buy things it got uncomfortable at some points.These are things that it made going into town a slightly rough task.

I just want to see what people think of this island in general..

Comments anyone?

I am thinking about either going on a cruise that stops in St.Lucia, or staying on the island for our whole vacation.

I am curious to see what everyone has to say about this island. We have been to a few carribean islands, but didnt like Jamaica. So I have read some posts where people feel like this island is similar to jamaica. Which was hard because here we were at this ultra fancy resort(in jamaica), but the rest was so run down and we were constantly being asked to help tip, pay for things, and being harassed to buy things it got uncomfortable at some points.These are things that it made going into town a slightly rough task.

I just want to see what people think of this island in general..

Comments anyone?

We were just in St. Lucia for 5 days in May for our son's wedding. We didn't find it to be anything like Jamaica. In Jamaica, our tour guide had to protect us from VERY agressive vendors and people wanting money. That was NOT what we found in St. Lucia.

In fact, we tried to tip a cab driver (not ours) who used his cell phone to call our cab driver and find out where he was. The other driver did not want to accept the money that we gave him for his help! Now THAT was new experience in the Caribbean!

We found the people in St. Lucia to be very kind and welcoming...they actually seemed to like Americans (also an unusual experience.... :rolleyes: ). St. Lucia is a beautiful, small island with very steep and winding roads. It is hard to navigate on your own, so you need to be ready to hire a guide (IMHO). We would not consider renting a car and driving around on our own.

If you have lots of money to spend, it is a great place to go for a week, as there are many things to do (but they are all pricey). We do want to go back, but it will probably be a stop on a cruise ship for us.....

Thanks for your opinion! I am glad that it isnt like Jamaica. When we were on our cruise and we went, I just remember getting back to the boat thinking, ''man, I am glad to be back aboard, what a waste of a stop'' (of course this is all my opinion :)

So when we were looking at something other than a cruise I was a little nervous. As we love cruising, but just can't seem to make this one work...

Thanks again!

Thank you for your opinion!

I am glad to hear that this island isnt like jamaica. I just remember being in jamaica, and when we got back to the boat I was thinking, ''whew, I am so glad we are back on board, what a waste of a stop.'' (in my opinion, we just had a not so good time there)

So when we realized we couldnt do this cruise, I was so disappointed and a litte worried because we have only cruised before and just absolutely loved every minute!

Thanks again for your thoughts!!

I agree with these postings! I was VERY uncomfortable in Jamaica. We were on a ships tour and they warned us not to talk to anyone and then took us to a gaited shopping area with armed guards. St. Lucia felt very safe and welcoming. YES there are some very poor areas but they seemed less hostile. Our tour was by Cosol and he took very good care of us. Our driver was Adrienne and it was a very comprehensive day. Yes, the roads in St. Lucia are very steep and windy. I was glad we were not driving. We swam at the Pitons at Jalousie Plantation. We ate local foods and saw many beautiful overlooks. Good luck on your decision. Cruising is so relaxing for us that it is our preferred way to see places. If you don't care for an area.... you are gone the next day! Enjoy!

Sue:cool:

If you can dig out the threads somewhere in these Ports-of-Call sections..

I've seen people ranking their least- and most-favorite Caribbean destinations

...this sorta Poll more than once.

St.Lucia St.Maarten and Barbados are usually among the top five for most folks

Jamaica and Nassau are usually down near the bottom,unfortunately.

I live on Barbados and I have to tell ya..

St.Lucia is probably a nicer destination,overall ..than where I live!

I found two such threads for you..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=172838

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=88604

Really?! Thats good to hear~

As of now, I think we are actually able to take a cruise, but I still am highly considering st.lucia. Its so hard to get a good view of what the island is like from pictures online because they only show the most beautiful parts...lol

I understand why people (esp. cruisers) dislike Jamaica. There are security issues on Jamaica that require one to be a Good Scout and "Be Prepared". That's more than a lot of vacationers want to take on, and cruisers tend to see the least pleasant edge of it. The cruise terminals attrack a horde of the least likeable element.

St. Lucia has some - just some - of the same issues Jamaica presents, but for some positive reasons. About 2/3 of St. Lucia is national conservation area. The topography and jungle forests are stunning. St. Lucia has a higher population than many of its neighbors (guide Herod Stanislas candidly points to the strong influence of the RC church), the island is poor, and the population is concentrated in densely populated villages, the capital Castries, and the town Soufriere. The population density, rough infrastructure, and low incomes create towns and villages that might disturb those that find lesser developed countries unsettling. If poverty makes you wince; you'll wince. There is some attendant crime, and St. Lucia's peddlers can be nearly as pushy as Jamaica's (esp. up at Reduit Beach). There is significant difference though (I feel) between 'persistant' and 'aggressive'. Unlike Jamaica, St. Lucians are rarely aggressive - and not all are even pushy - but some are in some places.

St. Lucia has a number of outstanding guides and guide services (Herod Stanislas, Cosol, Serenity, Frank, etc.) These guides universally garner terrific review (I'll personally endorse Herod Stanislas as a gem) and they are very fairly priced (excellent value). The friendly and welcoming nature of these guides represents the best side of the St. Lucian people, and the abundance of them speaks a lot about the people generally.

Aplmac is candid about Barbados which is an interesting place with enormous cultural charm, history, and sophistication. But Barbados is uniquely NOT a volcanic island. It has none of the mountainous topography of St. Lucia and other islands of the antilles chain. St. Lucia - with the Pitons - is a real standout visually. The roads on St. Lucia are difficult though. I don't mind renting cars (and have on Antigua, Grand Caymen, and Barbados) but I wouldn't on St. Lucia.

A cruise is a great way to see a variety of places. I'd hghly recommend Herod Stanislas (Cosol has a cadre of loyalists too) as a terrific guide for St. Lucia. St. Lucia is a place that should be 'island toured' with a guide; it's a gorgeous place with a lot to attract visitors.

I understand why people (esp. cruisers) dislike Jamaica. There are security issues on Jamaica that require one to be a Good Scout and "Be Prepared". That's more than a lot of vacationers want to take on, and cruisers tend to see the least pleasant edge of it. The cruise terminals attract a horde of the least likeable element.

St. Lucia has some - just some - of the same issues Jamaica presents, but for some positive reasons. About 2/3 of St. Lucia is national conservation area. The topography and jungle forests are stunning. St. Lucia has a higher population than many of its neighbors (guide Herod Stanislas candidly points to the strong influence of the RC church), the island is poor, and the population is concentrated in densely populated villages, the capital Castries, and the town Soufriere. The population density, rough infrastructure, and low incomes create towns and villages that might disturb those that find lesser developed countries unsettling. If poverty makes you wince; you'll wince. There is some attendant crime, and St. Lucia's peddlers can be nearly as pushy as Jamaica's (esp. up at Reduit Beach). There is significant difference though (I feel) between 'persistant' and 'aggressive'. Unlike Jamaica, St. Lucians are rarely aggressive - and not all are even pushy - but some are in some places.

St. Lucia has a number of outstanding guides and guide services (Herod Stanislas, Cosol, Serenity, Frank, etc.) These guides universally garner terrific review (I'll personally endorse Herod Stanislas as a gem) and they are very fairly priced (excellent value). The friendly and welcoming nature of these guides represents the best side of the St. Lucian people, and the abundance of them speaks a lot about the people generally.

Aplmac is candid about Barbados which is an interesting place with enormous cultural charm, history, and sophistication. But Barbados is uniquely NOT a volcanic island. It has none of the mountainous topography of St. Lucia and other islands of the antilles chain. St. Lucia - with the Pitons - is a real standout visually. The roads on St. Lucia are difficult though. I don't mind renting cars (and have on Antigua, Grand Caymen, and Barbados) but I wouldn't on St. Lucia.

A cruise is a great way to see a variety of places. I'd hghly recommend Herod Stanislas (Cosol has a cadre of loyalists too) as a terrific guide for St. Lucia. St. Lucia is a place that should be 'island toured' with a guide; it's a gorgeous place with a lot to attract visitors.

We were in St. Lucia for 5 days (obviously not on a cruise) and we almost never felt unsafe. Even at the Gros Islet Jump Up (at night), we walked several blocks to the car and felt no less safe than in our own downtown Houston. (OK, that's not all that safe.....;) )

We also loved Herod, although we toured with both Cosol and Herod. Both are good....they are just different in personality.

Jamaica, on the other hand, made us feel pretty nervous. We had a great guide, but on the walk down to the van after Dunn's River Falls we were grabbed by aggressive vendors and forced into their shops. I really didn't like that! When we acted like we didn't want to be grabbed, the vendors acted threatening and yelled that we were "disrespecting" them. Hey, they grabbed me....talk about disrespect! Also, everyone in Jamaica wanted to be tipped...sometimes, just for breathing, it seemed. I would NEVER do Jamaica without a guide on hand at all times!

St. Lucia, however, seems MUCH safer and more friendly. People even refused tips for things that I would tip for in the US. They considered their actions just part of being good people. I would not hesitate to go back to St. Lucia.....Jamaica is a stop for us only if we can tour with Trevor Hudlin.

Jamaica, on the other hand, made us feel pretty nervous. We had a great guide, but on the walk down to the van after Dunn's River Falls we were grabbed by aggressive vendors and forced into their shops. I really didn't like that! When we acted like we didn't want to be grabbed, the vendors acted threatening and yelled that we were "disrespecting" them. Hey, they grabbed me....talk about disrespect! Also, everyone in Jamaica wanted to be tipped...sometimes, just for breathing, it seemed. I would NEVER do Jamaica without a guide on hand at all times!

I COMPLETELY agree with you about Jamaica. I don't care if I ever go back there. In fact, if on a ship, I would just stay onboard that day. I know what you mean about the vendors at Dunns River. What a shame, because we had a great time climbing the falls, but then to be accosted trying to get back to the car left a really bad taste in our mouths. I don't care if they think I was disrespectful to them...they did nothing to earn my respect by being so aggressive. I think at one point I stuck my hand up in front of one of the vendors and told him "don't you put your hands on me!" He got the message that I meant business.

Anyway, this year will be our first time in St. Lucia and I"m so looking forward to it. It sounds like the people, scenary and general disposition of the island is much more inviting.

Thanks everyone for your info.

I have been to Jamaica a number of times and have felt uneasy in leaving the resorts. We felt safe in our travel in St. Lucia and our guide Fabian allowed us to venture off but kept an eye on us. The people in St. Lucia were very friendly and welcoming. What a beautiful island.

I have been to many of the islands in the Caribbean, and St. Lucia is among my top couple of favorites. My husband and I got married there in February, and we were thrilled with our destination choice (having never been there before). The island is spectatular and the locals were so friendly. I predict that we will go back for many of our anniversaries!!

Jamaica is at the bottom of my list.

I have been to many of the islands in the Caribbean, and St. Lucia is among my top couple of favorites. My husband and I got married there in February, and we were thrilled with our destination choice (having never been there before). The island is spectatular and the locals were so friendly. I predict that we will go back for many of our anniversaries!!

Jamaica is at the bottom of my list.

Wow, sounds lovely. My DH and I are planning to go to the Southern Caribbean this winter onboard the Maasdam. One of our stops is St. Lucia if all goes as planned. I am really looking forward to seeing the Pitons. I have always read literature and drooled over pics of this place. Is it safe? I have heard some people say it isn't safe but then again, it's all relative. I guess you have to be smart about what you are doing and where you are going.

fuzzywuzzy, you answered your own question. ;) It is all relative and you have to be smart about what you are doing and where you are going.

We felt very safe in St. Lucia. On the other hand, we were with an organized tour with a well known local guide, Cosol. We did not go off on our own. That's not to say that you shouldn't, just that I'm sure there are areas to avoid and it helps to have someone along that is familiar with the island. St. Lucia is a poor country and there will be many vendors hoping that you buy from them. If you aren't easily intimidated by that, you should be fine.

As far as safety goes, like you said, it's all relative. We also felt safe in mostparts of Jamiaca. We spent the majority of our time at the resort but when we did venture into town (Mo'Bay) a couple times we had no problems at all. There was a pretty steady stream of people asking if we wanted a cab or a tour or hairbraiding or ganga but we found a polite "no thank you mon" with a smile to work wonders. The only places I wouldn't visit were stores down narrow alleys or a tour to see Jimi Hendrix grave from a questionable looking "tour operator".

St. Lucia is a beautiful island! Very lush and green. The Pitons are a must see! Have a great cruise! :)

We want to go to Choc beach. Are there hotels and lots of people around on this beach. We are planning to take a taxi from the port. Is it safe?

We have been to St Lucia before many times but always went to the Hotel St Lucien. One woman on our ship was attacked outside the port area but she was stupid enough to try to go out on here own after dark. Luckily some taxi drivers were still around and came to her rescue. I have never felt unsafe but some of the threads have made me a little leery.

Ontario Cruiser

We want to go to Choc beach. Are there hotels and lots of people around on this beach. We are planning to take a taxi from the port. Is it safe?

We have been to St Lucia before many times but always went to the Hotel St Lucien. One woman on our ship was attacked outside the port area but she was stupid enough to try to go out on here own after dark. Luckily some taxi drivers were still around and came to her rescue. I have never felt unsafe but some of the threads have made me a little leery.

Ontario Cruiser

Ontario Cruiser: We're from Ontario too! I am leery also so in that regard, I think we are going to take a cruise excursion especially when it's our first time. Does anyone know anything about the excursion from Castries to Soufriere? That sounds very interesting. The ship picks you up at Soufriere apparently and I assume that the ship sails past the Pitons afterwards. I wouldn't want to miss sailing by them.

Fuzzy Wuzzy

When are you going to St Lucia. We are on the Noordam Nov 7th. I just checked out Malabar beach right beside Sandals so that is probably a safer option and it seems to be busier even though it is near their airport.

I think we might go there instead of Choc. Anyone been there?

Ontario Cruiser

Fuzzy Wuzzy

When are you going to St Lucia. We are on the Noordam Nov 7th. I just checked out Malabar beach right beside Sandals so that is probably a safer option and it seems to be busier even though it is near their airport.

I think we might go there instead of Choc. Anyone been there?

Ontario Cruiser

Ontario Cruiser: We aren't going until Jan. 9th so still a long ways off. But half the fun in going is preparing and reading this board.

DH & I honeymooned in St. Lucia in 2002...4 nights at Sandals Halcyon & 3 at Ladera. While at Sandals we did venture outside of the resort and felt safe at all times.

On the drive from Sandals to Ladera, other than praying I didn't "toss my cookies" from the winding road, it was a beautiful drive with amazing sights.

The BEST thing we did was take a helicopter from the then Hilton Jalousie to the airport...there was no way I was getting back in the taxi for the drive back! The scenery was amazing!

Archived