The Biggest Loser on NBC

WeirdEyes

Did anybody watch the show last night? I did and I have to say, it broke my heart for some of them. We all know how it feels to lose a lot of weight the first week we change our eating, etc. and then the next week, only 1-2 lbs lost. One of the guys from the red team, Ryan, lost 22 lbs last week gained 3 lbs this week and he cried. I felt soooo horrible for him. This "game" has got to be so traumatic for them all. It is heart-wrenching to watch. I was glad that the blue team won this week because I am cheering for them. There are just several people on the red team that I do not like at all. I'm pulling for Kelly from the blue team to win. I guess I relate more to her and she seems so sweet. What did y'all think?

I watched it last night too. It was really hard to watch seeing all those people struggle. You could just see the defeat on their faces when the weight loss wasn't as much as last week. But I wonder why the moderator and trainers didn't key on that since they all had been working out so much and perhaps the fat was turning to muscle. That may be one reason they didn't see the scale move as much. Also, there isn't any mention as to how much water they drink each day. DH & I picked up on that right away. Did they measure themselves before they started? Another key element IMHO.

I also didn't agree with the one they picked to leave the show. I thought she had much more committment than the other guy which is key (also just MHO).

Anyway, I could really feel their pain since I have also plateaued many times when I was sure that I had lost pounds.

Lynn

Lynn,

I DVR'ed it and haven't seen the show yet but my guess is that they don't point out the muscle building part because it doesn't make for good TV like losing 22 pounds does. My guess is that within the month there'll be books, videos and products out from either the trainers or the show itself and gaining any wieght back, even if it is muscle doesn't sell products. Losing unrealistic ammounts of weight does.

Tami

The blue team's trainer, Bob, did tell them that they lost water weight last week. He said now you are actually losing fat so you won't lose it so fast. They did show them being measured the first show, but they did not highlight that last night. They do need to take into account the inches being lost.

Hi everyone, OK I watched the show for the first time last night. I did miss the first 10 or 15 minutes. I really felt bad for these people, it seems they should of explained to them what happens the second week of dieting or should they have known. I have been dieting for years and have experienced it so many times. I have 2 problems with what they are doing. First since this was the first time I watched I might be missing something but what kind of food program do they have them on??? These people are all shapes and weights and would not have the same types of diets. What is good for one might be really bad for another. The other thing is how hard they are having them work out in the the gym in the very beginning. Even WW does not push you to do heavy exercise in the beginning. They need to loose some of the fat before they can build muscle. I work out every morning but certaining not this way in the beginning. Since I missed the first shows maybe someone can clairfy. I did find it interesting and sad. Kinda a Survivor meets the Apprentice at Weight Watchers:eek:

Lisa, great analogy! As far as their diet goes, they were all evaluated by physicians and put into a certain group to meet their diet needs. One group is on the eat more diet where they eat more healthy foods. The other group is on the eat less diet where they cound calories, fat, etc. I guess it is sort of like South Beach vs. Weight Watchers.

Which group is on the eat less plan and which one is on the eat more healthy one?

Lisa - Perfect description! I was thinking the same thing when they went into the "board room" to kick someone out.

I still wish they would go more into what is healthy eating for each group. This would be a great show if they incorporated info with entertainment.

Lynn

I still wish they would go more into what is healthy eating for each group. This would be a great show if they incorporated info with entertainment.

Lynn

Lynn, I totally agree this show would be great for everyone and youth that over eat to help show them them proper way to manage you weight. They could do this by showing how successfull these people are by eating good healthy food. Right now I am a bit concerned that people who are extremely over weight will watch and think they have to do this heavy duty work out and will fall over with a Heart Attack. I think there are too many people who would watch this show and not take it as entertainment but factual as what they should do.

Once again, I am watching this episode so late. We have TIVO and so I sometimes get really behind on some shows.

I felt really bad for these people this week also. It seems to me this could be a great show to get people motivated to lose, but if I saw the way they had to work, I could never do this. I can't even begin to understand how people who are this heavy don't have some really bad injuries from this exercise. Hip joints, knee joints, ankles, heal spurs, back problems, etc. have got to be issues with some of them. I hate that it is a race to lose. They should do a show that is a year long, and follows weight loss the correct way.

I felt their pain, but like I said last week, they are not going to lose much from now on. I think they are giving people watching a very unrealistic view of losing. They all sounded like they were willing to give up and just be heavy. How many people give up because they don't see quick results. It is not the way to lose weight. I am suprised they were not taught ahead of time about muscle being heavier than fat, and water loss the first week. One thing I wish they would do is talk about inches lost or fat loss.

Angie

Angie,

Don't feel bad. I had it TIVO'd too and just watched it last night. I thought the trainers ought to have warned them ahead of time about their weightloss not being as great. I'm ready to slap that one guy on the red team. What a jerk.

Tami

• 2 weeks later...

Lynn, I watched it. The Blue team is in a lot of trouble. I'm sad because they are my favorite team. I guess I always pull for the under-dog. Both teams resisted tempation of a HUGE cinnamon roll so they all got to call home for 5 minutes. It was the first time they talked to their families in 3 weeks. Some of them had me crying. My heart just reaches out to those people.

Yup it was Aaron who lost the most and was booted off. He said he could probably continue losing on his own. At the end of the show they showed he had lost 20+ pounds since he left.
Seemed like one of the ladies was going so it was a surprise to me in the end.
Do these people train all day?
I think Caroline Rhea should join them in the exercise and eating parts. She sounded crabby when she told one of them ( in a preview ) to "get on the scale".

Dog, LOL! I totally agree with you about Caroline Rhea! ;)

The blue team has lost two people and the red team has only lost one. The red team seems to have the biggest losers on it. The blue team is really going to have to work hard to make up the pound difference.

I watched tonight and couldnt believe Matt got booted off .... I liked him.. He looked really good in his after picture they showed.. He seemed like a genuine person although I could see how everyone got annoyed with him.. I just thought it was truly mean the way everyone treated him.. They made him believe they liked him but really didnt.. I had hoped that Dave would be voted off.. I think he is the one that I dont like the most.. Just when you think you know who they will vote off... its someone else!! I really like this show.. havent missed a show yet.. It is truly motivating though to see these guys doing it.. I thought I heard that next week they will have everyone on that has been voted off so far so that you can see what they look like now.. at least thats what I thought I heard. Cant wait till next week!

That is what I thought I heard too. I just love to see peoples success and how far they have come. I have a problem with Dave too. I felt sorry for the girls on the blue team. With their guys having injuries, they had to work so hard. I wonder if they are sorry they voted off Aaron.

I was sooooo inspired by last night's show! Drea and Kelly on the Blue Team are awesome and I was so proud of them. I don't know if I could've walked/jogged up all of those flights of stairs. My goodness! :eek:

As far as Matt goes, my heart just went out to him. He is such a sweet person who really tried. The Red Team just really makes me sick now. Dave is the worst person on the show. He really needs to get booted just for being such a snot to Matt. Also, he doesn't work nearly as hard as the others. I hope someone from the Blue Team wins. They are all very genuine.

Shiela: remember we are only seeing what the network wants us to see. Those people were complaining about Matt putting them down and not being supportive. I have not seen that. I also thought with im being the biggest loser and the one to lose the most weight-- theyshould have kept him. Did you see his NOW picture.. He looks great.

I only got to see the last half of the show. I missed the stairs. What was the deal with girl going to the hospital and not completing the challenge? Was it for real? (I couldn't have done two flights of stairs much less however many they did. Was it 74 or something?) I hope someone from the blue team wins too. I think Dave should have been booted too. I think he is really two faced but then everyone on the red team seems to be. I kind of like Kelly on the red team. She seems to be the most genuine of the red team members. Yes, they did say they were bringing everyone back to show what they look like now. I will miss the next two weeks so I'll have to read up afterwards to see what is happening. Go Blue Team!

Archived