Whole Wheat Bagels....

sail7seas

I just read Dunkin Donuts will start offering whole wheat/whole grain bagels this week or next. Why doesn't HAL offer them as well? Far as I know, they only have white flour bagels.

I really am on a campaign for them to start offering healthier choices in all categories. It doesn't cost more and there are many of us who want healthy choices. IMO

(I read the other night to not put JMHO as apparently one judges when/who has an opinion that is not 'that humble'. So, in an effort to keep everyone happy........ :) )

I just read Dunkin Donuts will start offering whole wheat/whole grain bagels this week or next. Why doesn't HAL offer them as well? Far as I know, they only have white flour bagels.

I really am on a campaign for them to start offering healthier choices in all categories. It doesn't cost more and there are many of us who want healthy choices. IMO

(I read the other night to not put JMHO as apparently one judges when/who has an opinion that is not 'that humble'. So, in an effort to keep everyone happy........ :) )

I'm with you on that. We were just wondering last night if HAL has the wheat spaghetti as an option. It is one of my favorites so a girl can hope.

I've been nagging for whole wheat pasta for three years.

Last year Chef told me specifically he had ordered it but it wasn't delivered. I know they are 'hearing' these requests and hopefully, we will start to see whole wheat/whole grain breads and pastas etc I'm also trying to get plain baked sweet potato (yam) in place of white baked potatoes.

(I read the other night to not put JMHO as apparently one judges when/who has an opinion that is not 'that humble'. )

That's one possible explanation. Another is the definition of "humble" and the facts surrounding the behaviors of posting in a public forum with millions of "members" and an untold number of lurking non-members. Given the numbers, it's difficult to qualify anything anyone posts here as "humble".

There's also the psychological manipulation factors that go into the use of "humble" as it is purveyed, IME, on public boards with a significant number of people that don't know each other. In these cases, "humble" has come to mean (in no particular order):

1. I don't want to explain the rationale for reaching the conclusions I did.

2. If someone disagrees, I don't want to engage in a discussion to understand the differences.

3. I don't really care about the subject matter, but wanted to say something anyway.

4. Asserting a (likely false) sense of meekness.

I hope everyone will adopt your new approach, as I think it will more appropriately represent the behavior of the posters here.

I was just thinking about whether they would have organic milk, 100 % fruit juice...I am sure they do not, but I just am used to certain things esp for the kids. One week will not ruin us:)

Fruit juice, definitely if you like orange, fresh squeezed. The rest of the juices are generally bulk production brands. Available in the Lido and according to some, by special request in the dining room. Haven't tested the organic milk, what they serve generally is from bulk producers and has no "organic" label.

Sail glad to hear others enjoy healthy mixed with decadence. Oddly I think the whole grain/wheat pasta just tastes better. Once you've had it, it is the only pasta you want. No doubt they are hearing it from a lot of passengers so I hope you're right. At least having the option for diners would be good. Any cruise line gains more than it loses if they offer some healthy options in addition to the foods they normally present.

Nice idea... we eat only wheat bread, buns, cereals, etc at our house... even wheat pasta!

This next cruise, I am going to try and stay away from ALL bread products at meals. That way I can eat more dessert! :D

We don't eat dounts -- so we won't be rushing out to Dunkin Donuts for any type of donut any tome soon.

KK...... My post is not about donuts.

My post is about a healthy choice whole wheat bagel. Wouldn't make much sense for me to be requesting healthy whole grains and eat donuts while asking for healthy foods. :D :rolleyes:

I stop at Dunkin Donuts for a black coffee or better yet an iced coffee once in a while. I probably would gag if I ate one of those greasy, high fat donuts.

Looking for healthy food in this thread.

I agree with you ... I'm all about choices, and you WILL see me ordering the prime rib and the most decadent chocolate dessert they have on the dinner menu ... BUT, I'd still like to be able to have healthy alternatives available so I can choose when to splurge and when not to.

That would be the ideal situation. To have the choice to eat healthy or to splurge........ or for some folks, eat as is their norm. :)

KK...... My post is not about donuts.

My post is about a healthy choice whole wheat bagel. Wouldn't make much sense for me to be requesting healthy whole grains and eat donuts while asking for healthy foods. :D :rolleyes:

I stop at Dunkin Donuts for a black coffee or better yet an iced coffee once in a while. I probably would gag if I ate one of those greasy, high fat donuts.

Looking for healthy food in this thread.

Opps - sorry -- we rarely eat bagels -- even those tiny afternoon ones in the Neptune Lounge. They sit there too long and get soggy.

Whole Wheat (100% Whole Grain) Foods Are Also A Preferance In Our Household.the "nutty" Taste Of A Whole Grain Product Is Delicious.

Sweet Potato ( An Excellent Source Of Fibre) Is A Favorite As Well. I Would Love To See These Options Readily Available On Hal.

I Know A Holiday Is A Time To Enjoy All The "fun Dining" A Cruise Ship Offers But With Some Healthy Basics Included Our '"guilt" Factor Could Be Softened A Little.;)

Just An Aside, I Have Found A Flax /omega 3 Pasta,which Is A Very Good Compromise Between A Whole Wheat Pasta ,which Some May Find A Little Heavy, And Regular Pasta. The Gals At Work Introduced It To Their Familys And It's Now All Our Families' Pasta Of Choice.(8 Grams Of Fibre Per Serving).

However ,i Am Dreaming About My Ice Cream Cone (fully Decorated) On The Eurodam.:)

Some of us sail too many days a year to throw caution to the wind when on the ships. It is one thing if you sail one or two weeks a year. It is quite different if you cruise 8-12 weeks. DH is not retired but we cruise a lot and cannot/do not want to eat high glucose, processed, high saturated fat, high calorie/empty calorie foods on our cruises.

We eat healthy at home, we're used to those foods and want them when we cruise. No one has yet given me a good reason why they cannot be offered. Most cost no more than their poor food quality counterparts....especially when bought in the bulk quantities required to provision all 14 HAL ships.

Opps - sorry -- we rarely eat bagels -- even those tiny afternoon ones in the Neptune Lounge. They sit there too long and get soggy.

Call Room Service. They'll bring you a freshly toasted one. ;)

I don't think I remember ever seeing a bagel in Neptune. I've seen smoked salmon, capers, tomatoes, onions and cream cheese but I have not seen bagels. Soggy or otherwise.

We eat healthy at home, we're used to those foods and want them when we cruise. No one has yet given me a good reason why they cannot be offered. Most cost no more than their poor food quality counterparts....especially when bought in the bulk quantities required to provision all 14 HAL ships.

I thought the "spa" designated menu items were an attempt to respond to the kind of request you are making. Is my impression incorrect, or is there something specifically you are asking for that isn't being delivered?

I'm not interested in getting into a debate about what constitutes "poor food quality". This is a matter of expert opinion or subjective experience, and all "experts" are appropriately qualified by "assumption", acclaim and credentials. Since "assumptions are nothing" in your value system, we're left with subjective matters or debating the significance of acclaim or credentials. Is Johns Hopkins better than East Carolina University? The pundits think so, but on any given point, it's a toss up.

IME, if you want to eat healthy on HAL, you can. It takes a bit more effort than simply showing up in the DR and ordering off the menu without thinking.

What I am seeking and have sought for years is the availability of whole wheat/whole grain bread or rolls, whole wheat pasta at least at the pasta station in Lido if not the dining room also, baked sweet potato in place of white potato offered every night.

I agree HAL has plenty of fresh fruits and veggies available and we enjoy them greatly. It's great salmon is offered every night in the dining room. Sauces can be served on the side or omitted entirely.

Their selection of cold cereals usually includes a few 'decent' choices....not the very best but adequate. They also offer fresh cooked (not the instant style) oatmeal at breakfast.

They do a good job but it could be improved with the items I have mentioned.

We had a thread about 3 months ago where MANY CC'ers agreed they wanted those items offered.

I am a self confessed addict to Dunkin Donuts coffee. But for quite a while their donuts are so greasy and its like they are all air, nothing to them.

Theres a small donut shop that opened around here a while back that makes those old fashioned , "Cake Donuts" as they used to be called. They are out of this world .

For me unless ,bagels are made in a real bagelshop the old fashioned way, I just don't care for them. Brueggers is one chain that does a really good bagel.

I don't know if your iced coffee is different in the US then Canada but up here it's full of sugar. Not what I would deem as a healthy treat.

I don't know if your iced coffee is different in the US then Canada but up here it's full of sugar. Not what I would deem as a healthy treat.

Are you serious?

Why would they put sugar in everyone's coffee? There are so many of us who don't touch sugar.

No,No,No, No.............. NO SUGAR. Black, no sugar. I can't stand sugar in coffee.

Archived