What Digital Camera Do You Use?

Sandytoes

I am a camera junkie, went through a lot of point and shoots along with my SLR until I got my Pentax ZX5. I used a Tamron 28-300 zoom, and Pentax 17-28 both of which I loved. When I switched to digital, I wasn't willing to pay for a DSLR because MP seemed to be jumping up so fast. I went with Kodak DX7590 with 10x zoom. My sister and several nieces had Kodaks and I knew they could teach me how to use the software. Last year I bought the Kodak P880 (refurbished) with 24-140 lens. I really like it, although it does not have IS and I have to carry another camera for long zoom. Although I am sure there are better software programs out there, I do love the EasyShare software, and it does upload my pictures in chronological order taken, even when on different memory cards from two or more cameras...EM

I too have a Fuji S5000 and also a Fuji S700. I have seen additional lenses to extend the telephoto and wide angle. Would anyone suggest adding these on or would they just distort the photos? Also, would you suggest getting polarized filters for Alaska?

Beanie,

I would recommend you go for the polarized filters. They work great for outdoor shots - they deepen the blue sky and take away the reflection from the water. I would suggest taking photos with and then without the filters so you can see the difference they make. Some polarizing filters are called rotary and you can "dial up" the amount of polarization effect in your photo.

Have a terrific cruise!! :cool:

I would recommend the Panasonic Lumix in a heartbeat. It takes very good pictures.

To avoid confusion, which of the 10 -12 current Lumix models are you recommending?

I'm not trying to be a pain, but the Lumix line covers Panasonic digital cameras from the smallest compact to their rather unique 4:3 DSLR.

Thanks,

Dave

To avoid confusion, which of the 10 -12 current Lumix models are you recommending?

I'm not trying to be a pain, but the Lumix line covers Panasonic digital cameras from the smallest compact to their rather unique 4:3 DSLR.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave,

Your request for clarification is well taken! I am using a DMC-FS3. It may very well have been replaced by a newer model by today since I looked at about 3 models, all of which had more bells and whistles when this one was selected. No regrets.

Cheryl

• 2 weeks later...
Use IrfanView to batch rename. Is has a sort feature that will sort by name, date, size, etc..

I did an article on it here:

http://www.pptphoto.com/ArticlePages/BatchRename.htm

I do this by opening a file in a Picasa Folder with IrfanView (right-click > Open With) and re-naming the files using the batch rename. Picasa automatically renames them.

Dave

I've been using IrfanView for over a year - very handy ap!!

And as far as a camera - I am using an "on loan" Nikon D50. This is my first experience with a DSLR (I have two film SLRs sitting in a dark closet somewhere :( ). I've been using a Canon A620 p&s for a year or so, and it has worked nicely. But I just took this D50 to Europe for 10 days...and I think I'm sold on it! :o

I was using a Canon Powershot A95 until I slipped on the DCL stairs, busted my butt, and now the camera lens will not open/close.

Thank God I wasn't carrying my Canon XSi when I slipped. Attached to the Canon XSi at anytime will be; 10-22mm, 50mm f/1.8, 18-55mm, and also borrowed my woman's telephoto 200mm for the trip.

You can definitely get nice pics with a p&s. But, I really enjoy photography which is why I have the DSLR. I will probably upgrade my body in the next couple years. The 50D that is soon to be released is really nice :cool:

Chris, I just replaced my compact digital with a Canon SD 790 and have been very pleased. It seems to fit all of your requirements except perhaps the zoom might not be what you want. Zooms and compacts don't exactly go together. I did tons of research and decided on this one. You might check it out. I really like the sleekness of it and large screen and it takes nice shots so far although I've only had it about a month!

I have a Nikon Coolpix and the dial keeps moving on me.

So, I am now fed-up with it and want to buy a new Digital Camera.

But, there are way too many to chose from.

Can you tell me what D|C you use -

the pros | cons.

Thanks!!!!

Chris

It all depends on how serious you are about your photography. If you're really serious, get a DSLR (digital single lens reflex). It will be for sure bulkier, probably heavier, and almost certainly more expensive, but it offers options for expansion that exist scarcely or not at all with point-and-shoots, most importantly the ability to use interchangeable lenses.

I am a long-time Canon user; if you're going for a DSLR, I recommend Canon as the industry leader; fairness, however, compels me to say that Nikon is a very close second (Nikon fans may reverse the order, but would likewise say that the two are very close) and you cannot really go wrong with either of them. Both Canon and Nikon are long-time high-quality camera manufacturers, and you will scarcely find a pro that doesn't use one or the other. The specific model of DSLR is a matter of personal preference and doing your due diligence, but I doubt that you can go far wrong with any DSLR model of either make. With other brands, I think you can go wrong, and if you're spending that kind of money, why not buy the sure thing?

If you want a point-and-shoot, Canon and Nikon are still excellent, but the field widens considerably. I have less experience in this area, but can make a couple of useful points. First, if getting close-up photos from a distance is important to you, look for a camera with a fairly long optical zoom range ... at least 6 to 1, and preferably more like 12 to 1. Digital zoom is basically worthless! Second, if possible get a model with image stabilization (Canon's name for it; other manufacturers have synonymous terms). This helps amazingly to counteract camera shake (but NOT subject motion) and can greatly increase your percentage of "keepers".

If your point-and-shoot doesn't need to be ultra-compact, I like the Canon family that started some years back with the S1 IS and has evolved to the current S5 IS; they all have had image stabilization and a 12x optical zoom, and I have a number of friends who have been very happy with theirs. They aren't the highest megapixel-rated cameras, but once you get to 6 or 7 mp, you shouldn't worry too much about another mp or two. In fact, some cameras with small sensors and tons of mps kind of "hit the wall" and actually produce inferior images to earlier versions with fewer. All those pixels jammed into that tiny space get claustrophobic and nervous, and don't do as good a job as their brethren with a little more elbow room -- I'd personally rather have a 7 mp point-and-shoot than a 9 mp model, all other factors being equal. DSLRs have much larger sensors, so this is not a concern with them, but even there an 8 mp camera can produce stunning results.

Just for sake of disclosure, I entered the DSLR world a few years back with a Canon Digital Rebel XT (also known as the 350D) and have since moved for reasons too complicated to cover here to the Canon 5D. Several decades ago I earned my living as a photographer, using medium-format film cameras; I consider the results I get from my 5D to be at least equivalent to what I could do with Hasselblads. But now I just do it for fun; if you like, you can see some examples at www.pbase.com/DougC43

Have fun choosing your camera (if you haven't already). Also, do trust the posters who have told you that you can't have too many memory cards!

I have and very much enjoy using my Cannon 30D. Wish I had the money to upgrade to the new 50D that's coming out.....:rolleyes:

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been a camera "freak' which drives my wife nuts on cruises and trips.

My current "inventory::

Olympus Evolt E-510 DSLR with various lenses, etc.

HP R725 Point and shoot....always in my pocket

Olympus Camedia C3020................Older, but does a fine job.

I have and very much enjoy using my Cannon 30D. Wish I had the money to upgrade to the new 50D that's coming out.....:rolleyes:

Bob

Future: Diamond Princess Aus/Nz 01/09

Future: Emerald Princess Med/Trans Atlantic 10/08

Constellation British Isles/Norway 07/06

Summit Alaska Repositioning 05/05

Summit Panama Canal 10/02

Rhapsody Of The Seas Alaska 09/01

Spledour Of The Seas Baltic 09/99

Veendam Eastern Caribbean 07/96

Holiday Western Carribean 07/93

How good is 50D? DH has been bugging me to get a 50D. I don't know how much better it is over 30D to justify the extra cost.

How good is 50D? DH has been bugging me to get a 50D. I don't know how much better it is over 30D to justify the extra cost.

Not a Canon shooter, but in my readings and associations with Canon shooters, the consensus it that the 40D was a solid, but not revolutionary improvement over the 30D and the same for the 40D to the 50D. Put them both together and you have a significant improvement in resolution and performance moving from a 30D to a 50D. Camera technology has changed a lot in the nearly three years since the 30D was released.

Keep in mind that if you are shooting with a kit 18-55 or 8-70-300 lens, you may not see the full benefit from the increased resolution. Good glass is needed to fully exploit the higher resolution sensor.

My 2¢...

Dave

I just bought an Olympus E520 a week ago, my first DSLR! I've taken a few keepers so far, but I've got a lot of time to practice before my Alaska cruise next summer and in a month, we'll be at Disneyworld:D , so I'll get a lot of practice there!

I just bought an Olympus E520 a week ago, my first DSLR! I've taken a few keepers so far, but I've got a lot of time to practice before my Alaska cruise next summer and in a month, we'll be at Disneyworld:D , so I'll get a lot of practice there!

Until your Alaska trip please feel free to post you Non Cruise photos on the OT - Non Cruise Photo thread. Love to see your keepers and any other pictures you would like to share taken with your new Olympus E520.

:D

Until your Alaska trip please feel free to post you Non Cruise photos on the OT - Non Cruise Photo thread. Love to see your keepers and any other pictures you would like to share taken with your new Olympus E520.

:D

Thanks! I think I've spent the last week trying to figure out all the settings and navigating the menus, but I've got a few keepers. I took one in ISO 800 that had very little noise and I was quite happy about that.

I thought I would take a lot today at DD6's dance performance, but she's at that stage where she doesn't want her picture taken. Very frustrating when I have a new camera I want to try out!:rolleyes:

Thanks! I think I've spent the last week trying to figure out all the settings and navigating the menus, but I've got a few keepers. I took one in ISO 800 that had very little noise and I was quite happy about that.

I thought I would take a lot today at DD6's dance performance, but she's at that stage where she doesn't want her picture taken. Very frustrating when I have a new camera I want to try out!:rolleyes:

If you are new to the 4/3 system, be sure to check out this link: http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/43/index.html

there is a ton of info here on the Olympus series. I have an E510 and love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Leica V-lux 1 which suits my needs very well.

Like the fact that you can just point and shoot on auto or if desired, go manual. It's very flexible with a range of 35mm to 420mm.

The quality of the pictures is very good. Also like that it is lightweight and not overly bulky in size.

An all around great camera.

xyxthumbs.gif

Thank you all for your great input.

I am still looking for a practical camera that's easy to use and has a waterproof casing. We're big snorkelers.

I recently purchased the Digital Hero 3 wrist camera but wasn't pleased with the results.

Underwater pictures were green.

Did take nice videos.

I agree DSLR's are the way to go, unfortunately I would prefer a compact camera. For the size & weight - easier to carry around.

It seems to me that the majority are using Cannon.

Thanks Again!!! :)

It all depends on how serious you are about your photography. If you're really serious, get a DSLR (digital single lens reflex). It will be for sure bulkier, probably heavier, and almost certainly more expensive, but it offers options for expansion that exist scarcely or not at all with point-and-shoots, most importantly the ability to use interchangeable lenses.

I am a long-time Canon user; if you're going for a DSLR, I recommend Canon as the industry leader; fairness, however, compels me to say that Nikon is a very close second (Nikon fans may reverse the order, but would likewise say that the two are very close) and you cannot really go wrong with either of them. Both Canon and Nikon are long-time high-quality camera manufacturers..

If you want a point-and-shoot, Canon and Nikon are still excellent,...

If your point-and-shoot doesn't need to be ultra-compact, I like the Canon family that started some years back with the S1 IS and has evolved to the current S5 IS; ..

But now I just do it for fun; if you like, you can see some examples at www.pbase.com/DougC43

Have fun choosing your camera (if you haven't already). Also, do trust the posters who have told you that you can't have too many memory cards!

How about a compact camera to take night parade and fireworks pictures. I had a Kodak DX6340 and the flash went. The price to replace the flash I am told is almost equal to my comfort level of paying for a new camera. I don't need fancy just easy to use and good night pictures. No matter what setting I used with the Kodak, the night pictures was not clear nor crisp. Any help would be appreciated.

How about a compact camera to take night parade and fireworks pictures. I had a Kodak DX6340 and the flash went. The price to replace the flash I am told is almost equal to my comfort level of paying for a new camera. I don't need fancy just easy to use and good night pictures. No matter what setting I used with the Kodak, the night pictures was not clear nor crisp. Any help would be appreciated.

If your primary subjects are night parades and fireworks, you may never be happy with a compact. Compacts are notoriously poor for night shots. The combination of a tiny pixel-packed sensor and a weak flash is just not conducive to low-light success. I have a compact Canon SD800IS as a 24x7 camera and have coaxed some good night shots out of it, but compared to even an entry-level DSLR like the little Sony A200, it sorta sucks. If you aren't ready for a DSLR, you may want to look at an advanced semi-compact like the Canon G9 or Nikon CP 6000, both of which have a hot-shoe for a larger external flash. They are both in the $400 range (which puts them within $100 of an entry-level DSLR with a kit-lens).

Too many choices!

Dave

xyxthumbs.gif

Thank you all for your great input.

I am still looking for a practical camera that's easy to use and has a waterproof casing. We're big snorkelers.

I recently purchased the Digital Hero 3 wrist camera but wasn't pleased with the results.

Underwater pictures were green.

Did take nice videos.

I agree DSLR's are the way to go, unfortunately I would prefer a compact camera. For the size & weight - easier to carry around.

It seems to me that the majority are using Cannon.

Thanks Again!!! :)

I have an Olympus Stylus that we use for kayaking...Love it. I have had it about 3 years.

Recently bought a Canon Rebel xsi dslr. I just wanted to learn more about photography and I love the Canon for that. I also kept my Olympus, whenever I am kayaking I carry it with me. It is a great point and shoot.

Here is my photo album. Alaska, Yosemite and just having fun albums are with Olympus...photos have the camera info printed under them.

http://www.pbase.com/cat4chatin/galleries

Olympus Stylus you can dive with down to 33 ft

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

I have an Olympus Stylus that we use for kayaking...Love it. I have had it about 3 years.

Recently bought a Canon Rebel xsi dslr. I just wanted to learn more about photography and I love the Canon for that. I also kept my Olympus, whenever I am kayaking I carry it with me. It is a great point and shoot.

Here is my photo album. Alaska, Yosemite and just having fun albums are with Olympus...photos have the camera info printed under them.

http://www.pbase.com/cat4chatin/galleries

Olympus Stylus you can dive with down to 33 ft

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital_sw.asp

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Absolutely breath-taking!

Crystal clear! Colors are vivid!

Probably taken with your DSLR - right?

One drawback that I noticed on the Olympus is that it doesn't have a LCD Screen.

Archived