Junior versus Grand on Radiance

We are booking an Alaskan cruisetour for September 2009 and are waffling over junior or grand suite. There are only the two of us.

Is the grand worth the extra money? The list of concierge services did not seem impressive. All inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

Cruiserdru

I usually opt for the Junior suite over the Grand to save the extra $$$ for onboard expenses. If budget is not an issue, then the Grand suite is wonderful. Also, the Grand has concierge lounge access which the JS does not. The CL is very nice for pre dinner drinks and help if any problems arise.

The JS is a larger room than most balcony stateroms and has a tub in the bathroom so, as far as the room goes, it is fine for two people. The GS is larger, but the extra space isn't really necessary for two people to be quite comfortable.

Perhaps the biggest factor that would help me decide which to book would be the location of the two cabins on the ship. A JS on the fantail would be preferble to a Grand Suite on one side or the other. Going to Alaska, the view from an aft balcony would be amazing.

Hope this helps,

Dorie

The extra price of a GS is not mitigated by the concierge "services", IMO. A JS will give 2 adults PLENTY of space and luxury--without the added cost!

Except for a few alcoholic drinks that you won't need to spend $$ on, there is really nothing that the concierge can do that you can't easily do yourself!

The GS gives you lots more room and so much storage space. When you pull that drape over it's as though you have a separate room.

The concierge can and does a lot more than just give you alcohol. The coffee in the lounge is the best on the ship - nothing like the weak coffee in the Windjammer.

Any problems they you have from dining room seating to cabin issues can be brought to his or her attention and it's taken care of. Usually the concierge has been on the ship for a while ad knows the ports so you get port information and inside information on the excursions. Several times we have changed an excursion based on information we got from the concierge. He or she will take care of the change.

When we sailed the Med. this summer we had to pick up our passports before we got to Egypt - the line for pick up was enormous. But our passports were delivered to our stateroom - personally- by the concierge and then picked up by him.

It's a level of service that makes your cruise just a little bit easier - and the cocktails in the evening aren't too bad either.

So is it worth the extra money? Only you can decide.

We are booking an Alaskan cruisetour for September 2009 and are waffling over junior or grand suite. There are only the two of us.

Is the grand worth the extra money? The list of concierge services did not seem impressive. All inputs appreciated.

Thanks,

Cruiserdru

Cruiserdru.........you have obviously been around CC for awhile, but don't show what your cruise history has been.

If money is an issue, I would pick the JS, and spend the extra on some side trips, like helicoptering to Mendenhall glacier

Once you have tried the room of a GS or above......it is tough to go back to other cabins.

The threeofus has some vaild points in regard to a GS, if you are inclined to try something larger than a JS.

Rick

Thanks to all for the great info. Opinions are so helpful and so are the pictures. I have asked my travel agent about JS 1100 (although am betting it is gone or on hold by another agent) and said to go to a grand on the port side if it is not available.

This will only be our second cruise with RCL (previous 7 day Caribbean), have cruised twice with Princess (12 day British Isles and 15 day Hawaii), twice with Cunard (12 day B2B transatlantic and 10 day Caribbean), and once long ago with Carnival.

We are not big night life people and we do enjoy our cabin and comfort. Really looking forward to Alaska.

We had a GS going thru the Panama Canal last year on the Radiance. It was great! (of course) Since the cruise was two weeks, it was nice having the extra room to just chill. For a week long cruise, a JS is fine. Ironically, we're doing 46 nights on the Mariner repo and only booked a D3. Cost was REALLY an issue for that length of time (i.e. bar bill). :) You would do nicely with a JS aft for Alaska.

Thanks to all for the great info. Opinions are so helpful and so are the pictures. I have asked my travel agent about JS 1100 (although am betting it is gone or on hold by another agent) and said to go to a grand on the port side if it is not available.

This will only be our second cruise with RCL (previous 7 day Caribbean), have cruised twice with Princess (12 day British Isles and 15 day Hawaii), twice with Cunard (12 day B2B transatlantic and 10 day Caribbean), and once long ago with Carnival.

We are not big night life people and we do enjoy our cabin and comfort. Really looking forward to Alaska.

I think you made a good decision. If you don't get 1100, I feel the GS are totally worth it. That is how we saw Alaska and just the balcony size alone did it for us. And because it was a "quieter" crowd then we were used to on cruise, we did spend more time in our rooms than usual. And although the JS are fine, the GS are, well, just better for spending more time in your cabin, IMHO. :)

Grand Suite on the port side for Alaska is definitely worth it in my opinion. There is noway to describe the most awesome scenery when you open those large glass doors, etc...sitting on the couch and looking out is better than any TV. The concierge is there to make you cruise even more special and you will see the difference. Same goes for the Panama Canal, imho...........

GS's are awesome. We just did a trip with three rooms in a row...an OS and two GS's. I honestly have to tell you, the worst part of having an OS or GS is that you will never want something smaller again! My mom and dad were in a GS on the Vision and it was SO comfortable for them. Plenty of room to roam around, spread out, etc. Lots of storage, and the bar area was perfect for them. I'm sure the JS is awesome for two, but if $ is no problem, you won't regret the space and comfort of the GS.

Example GS on Vision

IMG_1957-vi.jpg

IMG_1959-vi.jpg

IMG_1960-vi.jpg

Archived