Buying a camera onboard ship

ekeberg

Has anyone ever bought a camera from the photo shop while onboard a ship?

Is it a good deal and do they help you on how to use them?

I have still not gone digital and was thinking about buying one on my October cruise.

Thanks

Lynn

Lynn...

Your best bet is to purchase your camera at a local supplier as your going to get a much better deal plus if something goes wrong you can always bring it back to the store where you purchased it from.

The local camera shop will have staff who can assist you and show you how to operate the camera.

Buy the camera locally, try it out first so that you become acquainted in the operation of the camera - then you will be set to embark on your trip to take hundreds of photo's.

These articles should help you:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Digital-Camera-Buying-Tips-For-Novice-Photographers&id=1276377

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Lynn...

Your best bet is to purchase your camera at a local supplier as your going to get a much better deal plus if something goes wrong you can always bring it back to the store where you purchased it from.

The local camera shop will have staff who can assist you and show you how to operate the camera.

Buy the camera locally, try it out first so that you become acquainted in the operation of the camera - then you will be set to embark on your trip to take hundreds of photo's.

These articles should help you:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Digital-Camera-Buying-Tips-For-Novice-Photographers&id=1276377

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare.asp

Hi:) I keep saying I need to buy a digital as well. Thanks for the links

but my question is about the first article. It says somewhere

between $300.00-$400.00?:eek:

I thought Digitals were quite a bit less money than that.......:confused:

Your right Lois...

If you just want a simple compact point and shoot - which is what I prefer for travel, they run about $125 to $175.

The second site that I provided is an excellent site for camera reviews and is one of the best camera information sites that I have encountered.

Hi.

First off, definitely buy a camera locally ... it can be Best Buy or Sears, not just a small camera shop, but buy one from someone who can help you. Digital cameras are easy to understand. You can always use them as a simple point and shoot. The camera comes with a card (SD card, Compact Flash, etc.) onto which the photos are "written" and it comes with a cable to attach from the camera to your computer to "upload the photos onto it. You can then have them printed by any number of online sites, picking only the ones you want to print.

The cost of the camera is dependent on what the camera can do. The higher the megapixels, the more detail you can capture, especially if you want to crop the photo and only use part of the picture you originally took. Anything over five megapixels will probably be fine, especially if you are just starting to learn about this. The optical zoom capability also matters. If you want to zoom in close on whales in Alaska, for example, you need to have a camera that can bring those whales up close. Last year in Alaska, I had a five megapixel camera and had to cut out a great deal of water to get to the whales. My five megapixel was barely enough. This year, going to Alaska again, I bought an eight megapixel with a huge zoom. It costs more. And the camera, while light, will not fit in my pocket. The link to dpreview.com is ideal. Look up their recommendations for a subcompact or compact camera and you will get the best shot for your buck.

fern

We bought a Nikon Cool Pix while on a TA last year as we only had 1 camera w/ us and decided on another. The camera was a very good deal (and no tax) and we used it throughout our trip of 10 weeks. The camera shop people are very helpful if you need any help after reading manual. Back in USA it was 8 mths until we found the same model Nikon at the same price. By the way, I recently bought a 9 mp nikon coolpix that is very small for less than $200 from RitzCamera.com.

Wow, Thanks for all the good information. I have until October so I will start checking it out now and see what I can find.

It's funny I have 3 young grandkids and after I take a picture they always come up to me and want to see it and I have to explain that my camera does not show the pictures right now. I think it is very confusing to them since their parents only have digitals and they know nothing of the old fashion way!!

Lynn

Like cruise pricing, never pay the MSRP for a camera. Most prices listed in a camera review list the MSRP. They can be highly discounted by the retailer usually by 25-50%. If you look at the reviews and find some cameras you like, Google them and you can find out what they are selling for on the street. I would look for the camera with the most megapixels and the largest rear screen within your price range.

We were on a cruise of the British Isles and went to the photographer's clinic offered on the ship. Another passenger brought the camera she had just purchased on board and it looked great. The photographer gave an excellent presentation including a great powerpoint presentation on digital cameras and photography. I decided that I would purchase a digital camera for myself (my husband had brought his great digital camera with for the trip). The camera was a good buy--no tax and I was also provided with a free charger and batteries. I used the camera throughout the trip (purchased it on the first day at sea after we left the departure port). It was a Nikon coolpix 8 megapixel with 3 times zoom. Very compact and easy to use, as I am not very technosavvy. I am very happy with my purchase.

Barbara from Long Beach, California

I think there is an essential difference between Barbara's experience of buying it on board and OP's situation. OP already knows that he wants a camera; Barbara made the decision to buy while on the cruise.

I agree with those who suggest that OP buy the camera now. Why wait? First, you have many more choices in brand and in prices. Second and most importantly, since you already know that you want a camera, buy now and have time to learn how to use it.

A few years ago I bought a new 5 mexapixel Pentax while on a cruise. I've loved it and have never regretted buying it. It was nearly $400 but that was an average price for such new technology back then.

I'm going to Alaska on a 14 day repo cruise in September and just ordered a new 10.1 megapixel Olympus from Amazon and after pricing it locally and at many other web stores found the price I paid from $2.00 to $75 less than anyplace else. I didn't realize how newly released the camera was but have had to order additional memory cards and batteries on-line because they're not in local stores yet. The site I purchased the camera from was going to charge $20 for shipping additional cards and another battery due to using another supplier so I found another source on-line with as good a price and only $2.50 shipping. The internet is wonderful for comparison shopping.

Good luck.

The camera was a good buy--no tax and I was also provided with a free charger and batteries.

That's like saying you bought a new car and they threw in the tires "for free"! Any digital camera you buy should come with a charger and lithium battery for no additional charge.

I agree with other posters; it is probably not smart to buy a camera on a cruise. Your local Best Buy (or similar) will have a ton of choices, good sales help, and will also let you try it out and return it if you're unsatisfied. Whatever money you save on tax will easily be negated by the fact that land prices are cheaper to begin with.

Archived