Birth Certificate ?

SaylorGirl

I have a passport and that is all I have used but, one of sisters that will be with me on the Grand will be using a birth certificate. She has the original one my question is all she will need with that is her drivers license? Since her license is in her married name she doesn't need to take her marriage certificate, right? That is what I told her but then I started wondering what if I am wrong . . . that would be bad. So please answer, thanks.

SaylorGirl...sorry, I was getting a bit confused reading through your post, and this is SO important that I just want to clarify: Yes, if her government issued photo ID has a different last name than her government issued birth certificate, she must take her marriage license or whatever legal document changed that name. 9 times out of 10, no one will ask to see it, but they CAN ask, and she must be prepared.

I am a stickler on this, because I once spent several hours in immigation at my home airport after returning to the US from Mexico because we didn't have our marriage license. My husband had to drive 45 miles to our house, get our safe deposit box key, go to the bank, retrieve our marriage license and drive 45 miles back to the airport, to get me INTO the US. Thank goodness the bank was open at that time! A week after that we applied for our passports! ;)

I would tell your sister to apply for her passport, it comes in handy. If you are leaving before it comes, then be sure she has the documents above, but at least she'll have her passport for the next time. Passports are cheap and last for 10 years, so there is really no reason not to have one.

Saylorgirl... I'm with Gloria and JMB. If you're not sure, get a passport.

One of the main things to keep in mind is that your (and/or your sister's) documentation should be the same name as on your cruise documents. It's not just getting back into the U.S., it'll need to match when you check in. So if your cruise docs have, "Jane Doe," your birth certificate, passport or other identification should be "Jane Doe" not "Jane Smith." You might not be allowed onboard if you don't have the proper identification.

I agree with the wisdom of having the marriage certificate with you, and with the wisdom of getting a passport. My driver's license reads "First Maiden Married", while the birth certificate (of course) reads "First Middle Maiden", and I was still asked for marriage certificate when boarding one cruise. I had thought to bring it with me, but if I hadn't, I believe I might not have been allowed to board. I also decided to just get a passport, thinking that in this day and age of security panic that passports could suddenly be required to board cruises that didn't previously require them.

I have never brought my marriage license, but I guess I will dig it out. I have always had my birth certificate with raised seal and my drivers license. This is what I have used and never had a problem. We were going to get Passports, but we decided we would wait until next year to get them, we are taking the whole family and 6 passports would just cost too much right now.

But thanks for mentioning the marriage license, I will take it with just in case.

kathy

Interesting question. I had no problem with my birth certificate the last time we cruised, but that was pre-9/11. My legal married name is Firstname, Maidenname, Lastname.....so my maiden name is part of my married name. Do you think that would make the marriage certificate uneccessary?

Susan in Minneapolis

My identification, credit cards etc. all say "first maiden married" and I still got asked for marriage certificate. So I always carried it, just in case. (It's one piece of paper, how much can it weigh!) Now I have the passport where the name matches all other ID, so it should no longer be needed.

In the late 90's I decided to get a passport and couldn't put my hands on my certified birth certificate. I called the State of Illinois and after an hour on hold I was connected to a very helpful employee. She not only sent me the birth certificate, she also asked if I wanted a copy of our marriage certificate for an additional nominal fee. I agreed. Afterwards it dawned on me that I had never had a copy of our marriage certificate. All I ever had was the church certificate.

Anyway, now I have everything in the safe deposit box and I love my passport. I use it for all flying and cruising, even if just in the USA. :D

She can't find her marriage certificate and doesn't want to take time to go get a passport. Her drivers license has her maiden name plus her married name on it so hopefully that will work. I did my job and told her she should get a passport or bring her marriage certificate along. If she misses the ship now it won't be my fault. I'll be standing at the rail with a foo-foo drink, waving goodbye. Seriously it would put a damper on everyone's trip and several would probably not go. Appreciate your answers and we will hope to get a good agent at check in.

I have to tell you, I have cruised 6 times, and always with birthcertificate and drivers license. Never ever been questioned, even after 9/11. When everything on your docs say your last name as you license, I think the birth certificate is just secondary, My daughter has a passport at 16 yrs old and has traveled on international trips and they really just look at the pics.

I am leaving in 30 days and will only have d/l and birth cert. I'm not really worried. I looked for my marriage certificate, but haven't been able to locate it, nor am I really worried. I will get on that boat!!;) So will she!:p

Happy thoughts from here on out!

I just got married and we're taking a delayed honeymoon, we leave in a week. I changed my name last month....

Birth Certificate, Driver's License & Marriage Certificate are a must. Confirmed by Princess & TA.

Warning, if there has been more than one marriage, divorce, etc. w/ name change strongly urge getting a passport. That would be a lot of paperwork to go through at customs.

Because we're just going to Mexico, and the passport would have been a rush(name change less than 2 months before), we're going the birth cert., marriage license & drivers license route. I hear it is moreNext trip definitely passport.

All it'll take is one cruise employee having a bad day and your trip will be ruined. We just got back from a cruise to Mexico in June, 2 months after my cousin married. We had her marraige license, drivers license, and birth certificate and was given a hard time coming and going just for little discrepencies on how things were listed on each form. Coming back we spend over 40 minutes arguing with the customs people due to a space inbetween names on one doc that wasn't on the other. I would say pay to get a copy of the marriage license, better save than sorry.

Archived