First A380 lands at JFK

Cruisin' Ron VA

if this has been posted already then please ignore it keeping in mind this may be of interest to someone else.

The first A380 carrying passengers on a regularly scheduled flight landed at JFK on Friday.

Here is the story below:

http://money.aol.com/news/articles/_a/bbdp/superjumbo-service-to-us-begins/114656?icid=200100397x1206853245x1200349261

When Emirates award tickets for their "spa suites" become available, AND I figure out a way to use a large chunk of my AA miles on a mostly Sky Team flight, only then will I get on a 380.

Otherwise, it's too big and it's made in France.

I've seen the A380 quite a few times now and the only thing impressive about it is the height of the tail. At Tokyo-Narita the tail was well above the height of the terminal building!

I know aircraft aren't meant to be attractive but the A380 isn't pleasing on the eye. It is short for its height and from the front on has an enormous forehead!

Maybe if I manage to get a trip on the Singapore Airlines Suites I might change my mind.

This is probably the time to fly one. The ones Singapore and Emirates are flying now only have from just less than 500, to 550 seats. Once the novelty wears off and economics start coming more into play, the airlines will start putting upwards of 800 people in these things. Remember the 747 came out and had lounges and bars. Now they are just crammed full of seats.

This is probably the time to fly one. The ones Singapore and Emirates are flying now only have from just less than 500, to 550 seats. Once the novelty wears off and economics start coming more into play, the airlines will start putting upwards of 800 people in these things. Remember the 747 came out and had lounges and bars. Now they are just crammed full of seats.

They certainly won't be putting that many more seats in them. Business & First Class earns the airline far too much money to be able to strip them out or downgrade the seats themselves.

Despite the bars around these aircraft there isn't much wasted space. The lounge areas on these aircraft aren't suitable for putting additional seating.

I didn't see the fares on the article .. but our news reported that it was $20,000 but again I usually take the media reports with skepticism .

BA charge over £20,000 for London-Sydney-London in First...and that's no private suite type thing like Emirates. Fully flexible and endorsable on other airlines.

I didn't see the fares on the article .. but our news reported that it was $20,000 but again I usually take the media reports with skepticism .

Well the media (or meedjah as some like to call it) wasn't that far off in this case and I am not sure why they would make that up.

I did a test booking on Emirates website from Dubai to JFK flying first class Oct 1 returning Oct 8. The price was $36,530.00

So 20k as reported by the media was not far fetched.

;)

Just pricin out ideas, and it comes out to ~$18,000 round trip in a First Suite on an Emirates 777 for nonstop from LAX-DXB (Dubai)....16.5 hours!!!

Like I said, when they make award tickets available in the suites AND I figure out how to use my AA miles on Emirates, I'm game. But cash out of my pocket-not on your life.

Just pricin out ideas, and it comes out to ~$18,000 round trip in a First Suite on an Emirates 777 for nonstop from LAX-DXB (Dubai)....16.5 hours!!!

The First seat on the 777 isn't the suite cabin at the moment. I understand EK are in the process of converting it to a standardised product though. In the meantime you'll have to make do with:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Boeing-777-36N-ER/0919769/L/

The First seat on the 777 isn't the suite cabin at the moment. I understand EK are in the process of converting it to a standardised product though. In the meantime you'll have to make do with:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Emirates/Boeing-777-36N-ER/0919769/L/

Well we were both kind of right :D

On the DXB-LAX route (and other ultra long hauls like IAH, SFO and GRU), EK uses their new 777LR's. These are fitted with the first class suites...seen here. (Also on the Emirates website in the grey print at the bottom)

2441958959_8e5199ed8a.jpg?v=0

But most of the 777's that EK fly are still in the other seat config. They are upgrading the older ones to the new suites. Also, they are phasing the 773's out by 2015, as the A350-1000 comes into service for them. The 773ER's will be upgraded and still flying.

ugly baby girl.
I know aircraft aren't meant to be attractive but the A380 isn't pleasing on the eye. It is short for its height and from the front on has an enormous forehead!
She'll be much more attractive once she's grown up and become rather longer than she is at the moment.

The ones Singapore and Emirates are flying now only have from just less than 500, to 550 seats. Once the novelty wears off and economics start coming more into play, the airlines will start putting upwards of 800 people in these things. Remember the 747 came out and had lounges and bars. Now they are just crammed full of seats.
As fbgd points out, that is simply not the case. One configuration of BA's 747s, for example, has fewer than 300 seats in it. And this is the one used on the more profitable routes - it has so few seats in it because so many of them are first class and business class seats. And this on an aircraft which is, I think, certificated for something like 600 passengers.

Archived